997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How to Change Your Brake Rotors at Home

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
How to Change Your Brake Rotors at Home

We just received our new 2 piece floating rotors for the factory Porsche 6 piston brakes that fit our 997 Turbo. There are many reasons why to upgrade to these rotors. Some influencing factors are the rotational weight savings of 3lbs per corner, the dissipation of heat under hard braking, and the floating design to give you improved braking and pad wear.

Here is how the installation went.

Tools Needed
  • Torque Wrench
  • Socket Wrench
  • 10mm Allen Socket
  • Flat Head Screwdriver
  • Philips Head Screwdriver
  • Strap to Hold Caliper

Step 1 - First you want to find a flat spot to jack up the first side of the car you plan on doing. Loosen the lug bolts slightly. Once you lift it to the needed height, make sure to put a jack stand underneath for safety. Remove the lug bolts and pull off the wheel.

Step 2 - Turn the steering wheel to allow you to access the bolts with the 10mm allen socket to remove the caliper. Once the bolts are removed, use the flat head screwdrive to seperate the pads from the rotor and slide the caliper off. Secure the caliper in place with a strap or bungee cord by the coilover.

Step 3 - Next take the philips head screwdriver and remove the screws that hold the rotor to the wheel hub. Pull off the old rotor. Grab the new Brembo rotor which is specific to the left and right. There is no need to clean them.

Step 4 - Put the new Brembo rotor in place and fasten the philips head screws. Grab the caliper and then slide it over the rotor and place the 10mm allen bolts back in place. Use your Torque Wrench and tighten them down to 55lbs each.

Step 5 - Check to make sure your hardware is tight and the rotor spins without any obstructions. Make sure your brakeline is not pinched. Reinstall your wheel on the car. Once you lower the car, torque your wheel bolts to about 90lbs.

Step 6 - Bed in your new rotors by doing 5 hard braking stops from 60-5mph. You should be activating the ABS. Once they are bed in, go enjoy your new stopping performance!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
This rotors are a super good idea for Porsche owners,I always liked the OEM calipers but OEM rotors suck I hate 1 piece rotors.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
What is the difference in a full Brembo BBK kit and upgrading to the new rotors. I know a new Brembo BBK will be a little more expensive, but will the stopping power and wights savings be better with a whole new system. Just looking for more info to make a choice. New bbk kit or upgrading just the rotors and pads.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The larger 6 piston GT3 calipers do make a difference especially for handling the weight of our cars. The slotted rotors are only needed for track use.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned
Neeeenja is a jewel in the roughNeeeenja is a jewel in the roughNeeeenja is a jewel in the rough
loooks awesome very tempting.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Pointby has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Nice "how to" post. Those rotors look great!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
+1...thanks Dan.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:00 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Porsche Gt3 Cup cars use OEM red calipers,with similar rotors and track pad compound.So if Porsche uses Red calipers for his racing prepared cars the calipers are ok for us,I have Brembo BBK front and rear but when i bought mines they didn't had this option and i will saved a lot of money.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Useful thread.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
M3-S3R - The stock 6piston 997TT brakes are great. Definitely improved over the 996TT 4piston. Now to answer your question, do you need a BBK or just rotors. The rotors are a 350mm diameter. If you were to go with the Brembo BBK, you can get it in either 355 or 380mm. The Brembo BBK caliper is a monoblock design. I believe the Porsche one is cast. So the Brembo is a tad more rigid. I could be wrong there if anyone wants to jump in.

The 2pc rotors save about 3lbs per corner. The calipers are the same weight.

If this was the 996TT prior to the rotors being released, you would benefit from a full Brembo BBK. Cause a 6piston GT3 setup is $2500 then the rotors are $1800 which is the price about of the BBK. Because the 997TT already has a good setup, you can do the rotors, pads, and lines for under a BBK price. On the 997TT if you are mainly a street car, go with just the rotors. If you are serious about tracking, do the full kit.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up, do they come drilled?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor
Thank you. They are available in slotted only. When the rears are released end of this month, you can have a matching set Yes I have slotted fronts and drilled in the rears so I look like a guber!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vividracing
M3-S3R - The stock 6piston 997TT brakes are great. Definitely improved over the 996TT 4piston. Now to answer your question, do you need a BBK or just rotors. The rotors are a 350mm diameter. If you were to go with the Brembo BBK, you can get it in either 355 or 380mm. The Brembo BBK caliper is a monoblock design. I believe the Porsche one is cast. So the Brembo is a tad more rigid. I could be wrong there if anyone wants to jump in.

The 2pc rotors save about 3lbs per corner. The calipers are the same weight.

If this was the 996TT prior to the rotors being released, you would benefit from a full Brembo BBK. Cause a 6piston GT3 setup is $2500 then the rotors are $1800 which is the price about of the BBK. Because the 997TT already has a good setup, you can do the rotors, pads, and lines for under a BBK price. On the 997TT if you are mainly a street car, go with just the rotors. If you are serious about tracking, do the full kit.
Thank you for the reply. I will be tracking the car and I'm just trying to get the pros and cons. If I do the Brembo kit I'd do the front and rear. 380mm. I have this set up on my M3 and it works very well. If I changed just the rotors front and rear that your offering Im speeding about 3600.00 correct. How much better will the car stop with just the upgraded rotors? Thanks Marco

Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor
Marco - since you already have the Brembo kit on your M3, you definitely know the performance of it. The 997TT is a fast car, so you will want the best braking. You cant beat the 380mm 6piston monoblock kit. Its not necessary to the rear kit since 80% of your braking is done up front, but sure can help. If you were to just do the rotors, yeah you will spend about $3000 less then you would if you bought full kits front and rear. For track I would also recommend some Pagid Pads, Steel Braided Lines, and Synthetic Fluid too.

Because the 2 pc rotor is slotted, vented, and has the floating hardware, you should notice some improved stopping power. The floating design will keep the rotor in line and provide you with good even pad wear and clamping force since it will keep its center line.

Give me a ring if you have other questions. Having owned a Brembo 355mm 6piston kit on my 996TT I know how it feels comparatively.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Moving Chicane will become famous soon enoughMoving Chicane will become famous soon enough
Do you have these (fronts) for the 996 GT3? How much?

Originally Posted by vividracing
Thank you. They are available in slotted only. When the rears are released end of this month, you can have a matching set Yes I have slotted fronts and drilled in the rears so I look like a guber!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to Change Your Brake Rotors at Home