997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgraded Drop Link Kit for those of you with Bilstein Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
What's the current general consensus on the aftermarket droplinks? The ones that come with the Bilstein kit no doubt look inferior than the aftermarket offerings with that crappy plastic bushing. But how many of you actually run aftermarket ones? Seems like the failures have as much to do with (if not completely to do) with installation error of the Bilstein versions.

Coilovers are going on soon, so would rather get the 'right' ones on the first time. But also don't want to dish out yet another several hundred bucks on hardware I don't really need.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
The topic has been discussed quite a bit.
  1. The Bilstein drop links are problematic for some, but many have had no issues. You will probably be fine with them.
  2. Some have suggested that lowering the car substantially more than about 15mm may contribute to failure (but mine broke at I am at about 16mm below stock). I think Bilstein recommends a 10-20mm drop but I might be wrong.
  3. Installation error may be a factor, but mine were properly installed by SharkWerks and they still broke.
  4. Third-party drop links are a compromise since they are generally stiffer.
  5. Some companies sell the same front drop links for the 996TT and the 997TT even though the geometries should be different.
  6. RSS went to a ton of trouble to get me a prototype version of their droplinks but those did not work out for me. I suspect their production version is a great product though.
  7. The TRG drop links seem to have the largest following.
  8. SharkWerks modified a set of Porsche drop-links (SharkLinks) for me and they have worked great; they are non-adjustable but not a product they sell.

I am sure I forgot some things...

Last edited by sparkhill; 01-17-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
The topic has been discussed quite a bit.
  1. The Bilstein drop links are problematic for some, but many have had no issues. You will probably be fine with them.
  2. Some have suggested that lowering the car substantially more than about 15mm may contribute to failure (but mine broke at I am at about 16mm below stock). I think Bilstein recommends a 10-20mm drop but I might be wrong.
  3. Installation error may be a factor, but mine were properly installed by SharkWerks and they still broke.
  4. Third-party drop links are a compromise since they are generally stiffer.
  5. Some companies sell the same front drop links for the 996TT and the 997TT even though the geometries should be different.
  6. RSS went to a ton of trouble to get me a prototype version of their droplinks but those did not work out for me. I suspect their production version is a great product though.
  7. The TRG drop links seem to have the largest following.
  8. SharkWerks modified a set of Porsche drop-links (SharkLinks) for me and they have worked great; they are non-adjustable but not a product they sell.

I am sure I forgot some things...
Thanks for the summary, Sparkhill.
Think I'm gonna roll the dice and go with the ones included with the Bilsteins.