997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

"Oakley Design" experience...please read!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Mark997TT will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down "Oakley Design" experience...please read!

I've never really posted on these boards, but I'm in a bit of a situation and was hoping for some insight from fellow members. Back in April 2009, I sent an email to Oakley Design inquiring about their carbon rollbar for my GT2. I received a quick response from Jon Oakley who answered my questions, provided pricing and eventually sent me instructions on wiring the funds. The product, I was told, would ship two weeks after the funds were wired. Before wiring the funds, I did some due diligence, a bit of research, etc. Oakley Design had a good reputation and is well known. Jon and I further exchanged a number of emails after that. After some traveling, I came back to town and proceeded to wire 100% funds to Oakley for the purchase.

Needless to say, without wasting more bandwidth, 2 weeks, became 3, then 4, then 2 months. The email responses grew fewer and fewer until Jon no longer responded. One of his salesman emailed me a couple times that they've been on holiday or they were sick, or they accidentally painted the rollbar white. It was obvious it was just excuse after excuse. Then ZERO response from anyone. It's now been almost 6 months later. Oakley Design has not responded to a single email or answered the phone for the past 2 months. I did manage to contact one of their investors who sounded a bit surprised of the situation, assured me he would call me back the next day...no phone call, no response (now he no longer answers his phone). Even Farnbacher Loles who was supposed to be their US distributor claimed they have had a difficult time getting product from Oakley and last I checked were even unloading their demo products. Unfortunately, all this came a bit late for me. And I'm still unclear as to the status of this company. I'm under the impression they are still racing in Porsche Super Car (I'm certain I funded a weekend's worth of slicks!), but apparently they have left their customer service to rot. This has been the most painful experience to deal with and I'm not entirely sure what to even do, short of jumping on the next plane to the UK and knocking on someone's door. Needless to say, I'm not letting this drop.

Does anyone have any recent experience or feedback with these guys? Anyone in the UK close to their location and know if they are still there? Any help would be appreciated before I take this to the next level. Thanks.

Last edited by Mark997TT; 09-23-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Eek. I'm sorry I have no insight into this, but good luck with a resolution. Not to rub salt in the wound, but was using a CC not an option for this purchase??

Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Eek. I'm sorry I have no insight into this, but good luck with a resolution. Not to rub salt in the wound, but was using a CC not an option for this purchase??
No worries, the wound is so large now that even salt has little effect
A CC was not an option. A bank wire was required.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Farnbacher-Loles deals with them alot, maybe they could intervene. PM me and I'll give you a contact person.
c

Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
he can't pm you Chris...he needs 15 posts to do that...but you can pm him another way to contact you

Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Post this on Pistonheads -- in Porsche threads--I guarantee you will get replies and maybe some help.
I would not intially name the company--just describe their products--someone will lead you to where you need to be.
Use the search function over there-I will start it for you!

All done @ 7.55 thread time--post away.

Update-- 13 replies inside an hour-- not positive. Can someone post a link/

Last edited by Red 9; 09-24-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Thread on pistonheads is 1 hour old and the 6th post perhaps sums it up.
Thread may disappear due to the forums conflict of interest.

Last edited by Red 9; 09-24-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
A few guys over on Rennteam have had even bigger nightmares with Oakley. Head there and do a search.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Take a look here:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...html#p20109042

I'd PM function_analysi and GT if I were you.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:47 AM
GTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
A few guys over on Rennteam have had even bigger nightmares with Oakley. Head there and do a search.
Rennteam, GearErotica, Teamspeed are good resources.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:49 AM
I have the feeling that your money may have been better off "invested" in some of those Nigerian opportunities they keep offering me!
How much was that cage btw?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 AM
Originally Posted by Red 9
Post this on Pistonheads -- in Porsche threads--I guarantee you will get replies and maybe some help.
I would not intially name the company--just describe their products--someone will lead you to where you need to be.
Use the search function over there-I will start it for you!

All done @ 7.55 thread time--post away.

Update-- 13 replies inside an hour-- not positive. Can someone post a link/
I have started thread there and after 2 hours or so about 25 posts.There are some offers of help there-including getting some mobile numbers to follow up on.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Farnbacher-Loles deals with them alot, maybe they could intervene. PM me and I'll give you a contact person.
c
If you mean Robin, I've already touched base. Sorry I can't PM you apparently given my post count, but you can PM me if you get a chance. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
Take a look here:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...html#p20109042

I'd PM function_analysi and GT if I were you.
Thanks Alex. It's apparent that the bulk of these issues have occurred around the same time this year (after I wired my funds) and it's all gone downhill. Talk about sh***y timing! My feeling is Jon Oakley never had any intention on sending me a rollbar and just needed to gather as much money as possible. As soon as my wire was sent, I never heard back from him.

Originally Posted by Red 9
I have started thread there and after 2 hours or so about 25 posts.There are some offers of help there-including getting some mobile numbers to follow up on.
Red, thanks for all your help. I received your PM, but I can't reply to you. I'm going to PM the person on pistonheads who has a mobile number contact.

Thank you again everyone for your help! If any of you are familiar with Family Guy, this whole situation keeps reminding me of this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7gCd-C-Tys

Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Mcflurry is on a distinguished road
Oakley Design is definitely still around. I know a fellow photoshoper who very recently did some work with him and went to an event with Jon Oakley himself. I can maybe ask him to talk to Jon for you...?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mark997TT

Red, thanks for all your help. I received your PM, but I can't reply to you. I'm going to PM the person on pistonheads who has a mobile number contact.

Thank you again everyone for your help! If any of you are familiar with Family Guy, this whole situation keeps reminding me of this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7gCd-C-Tys
Post your whole story in the pistonheads thread. It will get the thread deleted at some stage but it should bring more help out of the woodwork.. You never know what could come out of it.
Publicity of this type tends to get action-if there is any hope of getting a good outcome.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Oakley Design" experience...please read!