997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Standard Seats vs. Adaptive Sport Seats w/Driver Memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
SleepTight is on a distinguished road
Standard Seats vs. Adaptive Sport Seats w/Driver Memory

Let's hear from all the owners here. Are the adaptive sports seats w/memory (P01) worth the extra money?

Which seats are more comfortable on long drives? Since ventilation isn't available on the adaptive sports seats and lumbar support isn't available on the standard comfort seats, you are definitely making compromises somewhere if you are going for the most luxurious seating in your TT. So, which way to go?

Oh, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but it seems absurd that you have to spend $1,100 in order to get memory seat settings on a $140k car when that feature is standard on a $30k Toyota.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:40 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
The adaptives are absolutely worth the money however the stock seats are fine.

The adaptives are great on long trips as well.

Which ever way you go you can't lose but if the extra cash won't put you in the poor house get the adaptives.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I went with standard (ventilated and heated), as I was searching for a last of its kind '09 Turbo Cab. I likely would have ordered the Adaptives. But then I drove with both. I'm 6', 180, and both seats fit me just fine. Since the car I found was already on the ground equipped about the way I would have ordered it, and had the seats with ventilation rather than the Adaptives, and it has memory, etc, I was fine with it.

I think much depends on a) your size and comfort in the seat, b) if anyone else might be driving, c) if you plan on long trips where adaptives/changes might be more suitable for you, etc.....

But I'm not disappointed in the least. The seats I have are awesome, and comfortable, and fit me just fine.

Try both before you decide. It's the only way.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
This may be a silly question...but what are the specific differences between the normal and adaptive seats?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Talking

there are four sets of seats...Normal adaptive, Sport Standard, Sport Adaptive, and GT2 style.

Don't know what's offered with 2010 series but up until 2009 you had a no extra charge for Normal or Sport standard seat choices.

The sport offered side lumbar support with electric seat back and manual only seat positioning. It's a good seat for thin or relatively lean people. because the lumbar support can't adjust those of you who are hearty built or generally burly will NOT enjoy long drives in the standard sport seats. These seats are purposeful for sport driving, okay suited for the track. And they have a weight savings over adaptive and standard seats.

Though for REAL weekend track warriors I'd recommend the GT2 racing seats.

The adaptive normal/sport is the "luxury deluxe" version applying electric controls for all contour electronic adjustments. It includes a memory feature for multiple drivers.
The down side is the overall added weight.

The normal is a bit more plush, less firm in the seat, more porous in ventilation, and slightly dipped toward the rear contouring your butt where as the sports contour and support more the hips and thighs with greater lateral /g support ability.

Much less cushion and deeper (harsher) buckets in the racing GT2 style.

I have the sport seats and I'm 5'11 180lbs. I'm perfectly comfortable but at the limit.
If I gain weight even another 5lbs. I may not enjoy the long drives as much..

Last edited by Serpentene; 11-14-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
SleepTight is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Serpentene
there are four sets of seats...Normal standard, Sport Standard, Sport Adaptive, and GT2 style.

Don't know what's offered with 2010 series but up until 2009 you had a no extra charge for Normal or Sport standard seat choices.
If you go to the Porsche website and configure a 2010 TT the seat choices are the same as the 2009.

BTW, good info all. I've already sat in both seats, but I'm looking for info on what it feels like after an hour or so which is something you really can't tell from a test drive.

Overall comfort is more important than weight savings for me. It is my ***, after all.

I'm pretty slim, so there's no problem fitting into the side bolsters on the Sport seats.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 PM
GEO 450 is on a distinguished road
My seats are power and do have the memory, 07 TT, are these the adaptive seats you are referring to

Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
This may be a silly question...but what are the specific differences between the normal and adaptive seats?
Below quote is from an old post of mine. The key difference between normal and adaptive seats are the depth (size) and adjustability of the 4 bolsters: 2 on the seat and 2 on the seat-back.

>>>>>>>>>>>
Don't know about 997.2 but in the 997.1 Turbo, these are the seat choices:

1. Standard Seats: Has power adjustment on everything EXCEPT the bolsters on the seat and on the seat-back.

2. Sports Seats: Has power seat-back, but not the seat itself. Meaning: manual seat height and fore/aft positions. Not sure if seat's rake angle is adjustable -- I do not think it is (a big negative for me if true).

3. Adaptive Seats: Every position is power adjustable.

The difference between 1 and 2: Bolsters and electronic control. 2 has deeper seat and seat-back bolsters, but 1 has electronic control and has control of the seat rake angle.

The difference between 1 and 3: Bolsters. First, the seat bolster of 3 is bigger/higher/deeper. Second, the seat bolster is adjustable. Third, the seat-back bolster is also adjustable.

The difference between 2 and 3: Electronic control, memory, and seat rake angle (someone please correct me if I am wrong on this). Because I tend to be very finicky about seat rake angle, and about maintaining exact seat position, I actually do not like seat number 2. I have never seen this seat and wonder if the manual control has the same degree of freedom as electronic (not continuous control).

Lastly, 2, and probably 3, has firmer upholstery than 1. I hope I have not been thoroughly confusing. Just trying to help here. Be careful about this as you definitely don't want the wrong seats in this 150k car. My ranking is 3, 1, 2. I had #1 in my 997 C2, and now have #3 in my Turbo.

Last edited by cannga; 11-15-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:03 AM
hog
hog is on a distinguished road
I have the adaptive seats in my 997TT and as Cannga says, you can fiddle them around on longer journeys, when you want to ease butt pain, etc.
I have the Carbon tilting sport seats - no adjustment - in my 997GT2 and find them really great on cross country winding roads and even long hauls on expressways. Just some neck pain from fiercer accelerations, probably. My wife doesn't like the GT2 seats because of lack of adjustment and as she has short legs cannot get the height of forward position comfotable for her.
All are dependant on height and weight, you just need to be built like Walter Rohrl!

Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i love my adaptive sport seats

my friend has a turbo without them, and without power adjustment, and there is a huge difference

i agree it seems silly that unless you opt for the CF race seats, power with memory should be standard on this car...but dont waste a lot of time thinking about it

go adaptive if you want the best porsche has to offer

Old 11-15-2009, 06:48 AM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
which seats provide the best support for bigger bodies? I am 6'3", 210. The standard seats seemed a bit narrow toward the top. the adaptive seats seemed better, but I only sat in each for a few minutes. (Ordering a 2010). Thanks.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by trice9
which seats provide the best support for bigger bodies? I am 6'3", 210. The standard seats seemed a bit narrow toward the top. the adaptive seats seemed better, but I only sat in each for a few minutes. (Ordering a 2010). Thanks.
I had ther "regular" seats when I had my '06 997S and now have the adaptives with my TT. While the regular seats were fine I did feel like my shoulders would be outside of the seats back if that makes sense. The adaptives seem to work better for me.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
hog
hog is on a distinguished road
Trice, I would go for adaptive seats. I'm 5'10" and 224 lbs and find them just right.
Getting the seatbelt to clip into the buckle is a bit tight on the GT2 CF seats but otherwise 'comfort fit'!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
LamboPete is on a distinguished road
I have Sport Standard seats in my TT. I am 6'0", 185lbs. Fit just right, and after an hour drive, still great!!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
wallmon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by my997turbo
I have the adaptive sport seats, and they are much better than the standard seats. I test drove a cayman S w/standard seats and then back in my car. The difference is amazing, you feel much more secure and stable with just better seats. Worth the extra money for sure. I took a 3700 mile trip in August, very comfortable the entire ride. By the way I'm 6'1" 185.
What he said

Worth every penny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Standard Seats vs. Adaptive Sport Seats w/Driver Memory