997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cost of Maintenance

Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 PM
lutey is on a distinguished road
Cost of Maintenance

Hey guys, current Vette Owner here (2001 Z06 Supercharged).

Anyhow, can you give me some sort of idea on the maintenance costs on the Turbo? How much for a standard brake job (i.,e all four rotors and pads)? Nissan wants you to replace all pads and rotors at the same time, does Porsche ask customers to do the same thing? What about Fluid changes (standard oil change cost, transmission fluids)?

I haven't drove a Porsche yet, but since the GT-R's goal was to be close or beat the porsce, assuming the driving experience is similar, but perhaps just a little bit more comfortable in the Porsche. I will be looking for a test drive soon.

Thanks for any advice/input.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-08-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: not enough posts
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
1 maintenance visit so far @ 3,200 miles:

- Oil change - $136

Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
1 visit at 10K miles. Oil change only. Brake pads are reasonable in price. Plug change every 30K miles. Test drive one then let us know what you think.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
NJR911 is on a distinguished road
Hello Lutey. I to had the supercharged covettes, BMW's, only rode in a GTR. My tt is a prescision driving machine, you will not believe the difference. I think maintenance cost will be a tad higher but so is the cost of the vehicle.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Plugs more like 15-20K miles, GT2 rec is 12K. As far as the other maintenance costs, they're reasonable but if you have to ask....

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Less than 2k per yr on average.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
It's not the maintenance, it's the mods that will cost you.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM
AlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by landjet
Correct.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Tires are the largest expense . Outside of that it's really not bad at all . I did an oil change at 5K and a two year service . I had some service coupons and it was so minimal I don't even recall how much it was . 2.5 years , 10K miles , under 1K .

Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 PM
lutey is on a distinguished road
Brakes

Hey guys, it would be great if you could answer my question on brakes, which is my biggest concern with the GT-R?

- Does Porsche want you to replace all the rotors and pads at the same time (that's written in the maintenance guide on the GT-R)
- What is the cost of a standard brake job (rotors and pads on all 4 wheels) on the Porsche? The Gt-R is 8K, and my Corvette was $800?
- The standard brake job on a GT-R costs 8K (estimated every 30k). So yes, I have to ask, as i'd prefer not to spend upwards of 30K just for brakes over the life of my new vehicle.

Thanks !!!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
8K for the Gtr ? Yikes !!! I replaced my entire brake system with Brembos for less . Outside of that i have never replaced the brakes on any of my Porsches . I usually don't keep the car past 20K miles.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
cikastef is on a distinguished road
Haha, that's right

Old 01-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lutey
Hey guys, it would be great if you could answer my question on brakes, which is my biggest concern with the GT-R?

- Does Porsche want you to replace all the rotors and pads at the same time (that's written in the maintenance guide on the GT-R)
- What is the cost of a standard brake job (rotors and pads on all 4 wheels) on the Porsche? The Gt-R is 8K, and my Corvette was $800?
- The standard brake job on a GT-R costs 8K (estimated every 30k). So yes, I have to ask, as i'd prefer not to spend upwards of 30K just for brakes over the life of my new vehicle.

Thanks !!!
I have done the pads a few times myself in the 38,000 miles on the car. It is really easy to swap pads. Just recently changed out the rotors, with the help of a friend here on the board. My pads were about $300 and another member gave me their rotors when they upgraded to ceramics.

I change the oil once a year, maybe twice a year if I'm doing a lot of track time. That costs me $130 at an indy.

Coming from a Vette to the TT is HUGE upgrade! DO IT!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Ditto

Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Crossed 50,000 miles on mine, double duty as a daily driver and track car.

To answer your rotor + pad question: No it isn't necessary to change rotors and pads together. You will wear your pads out sooner than your rotors, just replace them, break them, bed them, and you will be fine.

As for the rotors, you don't have to change the pads when you change the rotors, but I wouldn't use pads that dont have a lot of life in them. The rotors will groove to conform to the pads, so its best if you have a good amount of life in them 75%+.

But again if you dont track the car its not as serious because you wont be reaching the same high braking temps etc.

As for overall maintenance costs you will be paying for:
oil changes (I do min every 4-5K because of track time)
spark plugs (every 20,000 miles - this one is expensive if you do it at a dealer because of the hours of labor)
brake pads
rotors

I can't comment on how long stock brakes last because I started tracking my car early and OEM pads die quick on the track and rotors get abused a lot too.

Check the price of the parts and then find a shop you trust to do the labor. Unless you want to get charged $150+ an hour like they do at my dealership and still do bad work.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cost of Maintenance