997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone ever get a really bad speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
turbonator is on a distinguished road
A friend was doing about 85 in a 35 when he passed a cop car parked behind some bushes on the opposite side of an undivided 4 lane road. Quick glance in the rearview showed the cop was pulling a u-turn to come after him. My friend never even hit the brakes and got on a highway ramp a few hundred feet further down and then took off. The rest is history.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
gotta let the cops make their quotas, get the state paid and
increase the profit margins of the insurance companys the legislature works for.

aint the circle of life great.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
REX-RACER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by turbonator
A friend was doing about 85 in a 35 when he passed a cop car parked behind some bushes on the opposite side of an undivided 4 lane road. Quick glance in the rearview showed the cop was pulling a u-turn to come after him. My friend never even hit the brakes and got on a highway ramp a few hundred feet further down and then took off. The rest is history.
A good buddy of mine who lives in Houston and drives a supercharged Mustang tells this hysterical story about how he and crew of folks were heading out to the edge of town to do their thing one Saturday night and they passed two HPD patrol cars sitting on the side of the highway at 85+ mph. He said that the first thing that happened was the sound of several high horsepower machines downshifting, then all of the headlights went out and they all exited the highway at well over 100 mph, executed an under highway u-ie and got back on the highway going in the opposite direction passing both police cars. The whole pack of cars went one mile down the highway in excess of 150mph got off the highway, did another u-ie getting back on the highway going in their original direction and passed the same two police cars coming from the opposite direction. Fortunately the highway was divided and the cops gave up after that second pass.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
JJayB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supercup
In California - 100 mph+ they can take you to jail, impound your car, give you reckless driving - or all of above - minimum fine is $1,500. So if you find yourself in that situation be cool with the patrolman/officer etc. and hope for 90+ in a 65 mph zone - or something like that. Will be far less painful.

Good luck with your current issues.

JCM
Hey John,
Well they didn't impound my car, 120 in a 60 in Newporsch Beach. Beat the ticket on appeal. Cops can't read discovery requests.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
///macculate is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by REX-RACER
A good buddy of mine who lives in Houston and drives a supercharged Mustang tells this hysterical story about how he and crew of folks were heading out to the edge of town to do their thing one Saturday night and they passed two HPD patrol cars sitting on the side of the highway at 85+ mph. He said that the first thing that happened was the sound of several high horsepower machines downshifting, then all of the headlights went out and they all exited the highway at well over 100 mph, executed an under highway u-ie and got back on the highway going in the opposite direction passing both police cars. The whole pack of cars went one mile down the highway in excess of 150mph got off the highway, did another u-ie getting back on the highway going in their original direction and passed the same two police cars coming from the opposite direction. Fortunately the highway was divided and the cops gave up after that second pass.
That's , and those dudes were really lucky!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Sorry to be the somber guy, albeit one in a 530HP 997SC, but I am disappointed that this thread reads more like folks are proud of their behavior than ashamed of it.

I was at dinner with a 5X D500 winner recently, and asked about his street driving habits. He told me he's so aware of the dangers of speed whilst alongside unpredictable amateurs, that he drives the speed limit, or a tad above, never more.

His message: Speed is for the track. We're in supercars on the same roads as crapboxes- they can't possibly handle the way we can. Driving on public roads at over double the limit is irresponsible, any way you slice it.

That minivan you didn't see as you pass at 140mph can't go on the track, or break, steer, or in anyway avoid you. If you've got a need for speed, please, get it outta your system on the track.
CATTMAN

Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Protein is on a distinguished road
I could not agree more Cattman. Driving in excess of 100mph on public roads, especially a non-highway, is just irresponsible and childish. Last year two days before Christmas my good friend and his wife were killed when their SUV was hit broadside when they pulled out on a town road. The investigation showed that the car that struck them was involved in a street race. Now they're both gone, their children and friends left to mourn because of some idiots act of selfishness and stupidity. I have no problem with cops taking licenses away for this crap. Whether you give it a thought or not, you have no way of predicting what might come your way on a public road. Think of your own family at risk of somene else driving that fast the next time you want to.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Protein is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cuemaster
gotta let the cops make their quotas, get the state paid and
increase the profit margins of the insurance companys the legislature works for.

aint the circle of life great.
I'm having difficulty understanding this post. So you're advocating cops NOT punish this type of driving? Are you really that stupid? Let's all drive 100 in 35 zones. We should have a right to, right? Heck, no one got hurt this time. No harm no foul, right? Cops just being a ***** for ticketing him for almost tripling the speed limit, right?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Who ever said that everyone posting is out there doing 140 down side streets thru school zones in broad daylight?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
let's get this thread back on topic and since it has to be said...6 speedonline, it's employees, sponsors, moderators, janitors and homeless person do not condone irresponsible driving, a lack of respect for vehicle laws or the safety of others on public roads...please be safe out there

Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Nova87 is on a distinguished road
Just to be clear - i was not looking to see who had the most outrageous "speeding" story. I was genuinely looking for advice.

I am in a heap of trouble and when the po asked me what I was thinking all I could say was, "I wasn't." Got caught up in the moment - another 911 driver, beautiful day, open lane on the interstate - no cars in front only the other 911 behind. It was stupid.

My immediate thoughts were 1)i hope i don't get arrested; 2) don't tow my car; 3) i'm never going to do this again

then my thoughts shifted to "ok, now what do i do?"

It sounds as if most people somehow lucked out and didn't get ticketed. I need someone who did and what they did to get out. I am getting a lawyer and will try to plead it down to unsafe driving. The speeding ticket I'll accept and pay that fine.

Looking back on it, I'm glad that all I got were the tickets.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Zman100 is on a distinguished road
100 on a side street is one thing. 100 on a rural interstate with nothing around is entirely different. Compared to Europe, it is frightfully easy to get a driver's license in this country. So, everything is "dumbed down" to the lowest common denominator, usually the semi drivers. I have long been an advocate for higher standards to obtain a driver's license and separation of some traffic rules/restrictions for trucks and autos.

I NEVER speed in traffic. As a motorcycle rider I am well aware that significant speed differential in traffic means that a driver will many times not see you approaching and make a lane change that can be a life ending experience.

So, in a perfect world, we would see our politicians relax the speed restrictions, where appropriate, such as rural interstates. Just my $.02.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
they should just raise the driving age to atleast 18

Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
driving 100 on a highway isnt that fast..if speed limit is 70 than everyone in left lane is doing 80...easily hit 100 when you are passing someone...and if the road is completely empty then its your own life you are risking, not others...we have a bridge in town that most people around here have a little fun with their cars..i do it very early in the morning when there is hardly anyone else around...and i dont stay at that speed, i just take it up high for a couple seconds..heck, i get scared around 140ish.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM
joecmess is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're 30 over, they can take your license, so you have no ground to stand on. Assuming you have a clean record, get a lawyer and you should be able to keep your license. You're probably not going to get the points reduced unless you know somebody. take the online course, get two points knocked off and stay clean for a year and the other points come off. Insurance will hit you for 36 months.

Originally Posted by Nova87
Just to be clear - i was not looking to see who had the most outrageous "speeding" story. I was genuinely looking for advice.

I am in a heap of trouble and when the po asked me what I was thinking all I could say was, "I wasn't." Got caught up in the moment - another 911 driver, beautiful day, open lane on the interstate - no cars in front only the other 911 behind. It was stupid.

My immediate thoughts were 1)i hope i don't get arrested; 2) don't tow my car; 3) i'm never going to do this again

then my thoughts shifted to "ok, now what do i do?"

It sounds as if most people somehow lucked out and didn't get ticketed. I need someone who did and what they did to get out. I am getting a lawyer and will try to plead it down to unsafe driving. The speeding ticket I'll accept and pay that fine.

Looking back on it, I'm glad that all I got were the tickets.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever get a really bad speeding ticket?