997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

530hp 997SC: Looking for legal race with a TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by No Name
I don't know if you meant to come off as an elitist, but you sure did!

Regardless, your comments are mostly nonsense IMO. Using your logic, only factory built cars should be considered 'safe'. You make it sound like anything modified (after-market) and not certified by spending six figures for the mods, should be considered dangerous and not worthy.
Labeling me (with an ad hominem) does not change the fact that porsche never placed a supercharger in the 911 . Instead they opted for either normally aspirated engine OR Turbo . They weren't even hesitant to place a powerkit in the car (x51) and charge a lot of money for it so it's not even about cost or expense for upgrades.

It's about pushing a car which Porsche never intended for the 911 to its limit against a much stronger car and my view about its safety.

I certainly could not have been too "elitist" when I bought my 997S . I like the car enough to buy one myself but in my opinion the 1/4 and 1 mile races are not the 997S cars strongest feature and ia m not even sure what a supercharged 997S is . It certainly isn;t like the other NA porsches and its not a Turbo either.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I guess this is the issue I have with the 60-130 times I always see thrown around this site (and it really does seem to mostly be a P-forum/P-car benchmark). 60-130 is just another ET, it doesn't necessarily measure hp well either. Traction, shift (or lack there of) time, etc, make the waters too murky to get a true feel for the power being made.

To get a better indicator of hp, I still think trap speed is a far better indicator of how much power a car has. But since 60-130 seems to be the std. on this site, I supose I'll be the minority regarding this view.
I believe I mentioned trap speed in my previous post. I agree with you...it is an excellent indicator of a car's HP.

As for 60-130, what started as a Porsche phenomenon (actually, a 6speedonline phenomenon) has become accepted by many car enthusiasts as one type of power benchmark. It allows users to test their setup without the use of a drag strip or NHRA timing system, with data logs to help evaluate and critique.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mile-list.html
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=189369
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...es-e60-m5.html
http://www.lonestarmotorsportspark.com/60130.php
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=437328
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c63-am...30-9-7sec.html
http://www.my350z.com/forum/forced-i...130-times.html
http://truestreetcars.com/forums/dra...0-times-5.html

A simple search on Google reveals a multitude of enthusiasts that find the 60-130 a reliable benchmark of performance.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I guess this is the issue I have with the 60-130 times I always see thrown around this site (and it really does seem to mostly be a P-forum/P-car benchmark). 60-130 is just another ET, it doesn't necessarily measure hp well either. Traction, shift (or lack there of) time, etc, make the waters too murky to get a true feel for the power being made.

To get a better indicator of hp, I still think trap speed is a far better indicator of how much power a car has. But since 60-130 seems to be the std. on this site, I supose I'll be the minority regarding this view.
It's not a question of what is the best measure of HP. The OP wants to test his set-up against a stock 997tt in a head-to-head race which would be fun in it's own right. If he can't find and takers, then the next best thing would be to use a Pbox to test his mods. This way, you are not limited to 60-130 but perform any other measurement as well including 1/4 mile "trap" speed.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
just go to the track

It will be tons of fun and you will run against a bunch of different cars.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Next Phase is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
ia m not even sure what a supercharged 997S is . It certainly isn;t like the other NA porsches and its not a Turbo either.
Are you serious?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is awesome for so many reasons.

I personally think a head to head drag run would be fun to see with Cattmans car and a 997TT. Is is the best and only way to measure the cars? Of course not - but it would give you something and it would be a cool video

Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
BCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to behold
Just go down to a drag track. I find that owners of each type of car seem to gather together at the local track here. Mustang guys all hang out together, Honda guys do, even the Porsche guys, last time I went it was me and one other guy.
This is Mission, near Vancouver.

But you are really just comparing drivers. I am still into drag racing my Sti, and know a few other guys with Stis, lots of guys just can't drive. A stock Sti is suppose to run around 13 flat. I know guys that have 100-200 extra HP over stock and can't crack 14. Too nervous to launch off the line, fearing the clutch will go, poor shifting, shifting too early, or too late. I also know a guy with an eagle talon, with 600whp, dynoed at a reputable shop in BC. He races lots and has never cracked below 12.5

I don't know head to head racing compares drivers......Dozens of pbox 60-130 times compares cars?