997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Noise on cold starting???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
TO08TURBO will become famous soon enoughTO08TURBO will become famous soon enough
Noise on cold starting???

Hi Guys,

I did a search, but could not come up with anything related a potential issue I have with my turbo on cold start up.

Firstly, my car is not a daily driver. It gets used maybe every two or three days.

I have noticed after initial cold start, after the idle speed drops down that I get what sounds like a rotational squeaking noise. The noise stays even if I rev the car. At first I thought it might be a tensioner bearing, but the noise doesn't get louder, it's just there. It would be weird for a two year old car to have a worn tensioner bearing already. Here's the weird part, after the car gets warmed up, and is driven, the noise goes away. I can stop the car, start it up again, and no are no abnormal sounds. Park it, leave it to get cold, and the sound comes back right after a cold start.

Has anyone run into this issue? I am going to take it to the dealer, but just wondered if anyone might have encountered a similar issue.

Thanks for any help/feedback.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
99% is the secondary air pump for cold starts and it is ok...it only heppens at cold starts...not at hot starts...

Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
TO08TURBO will become famous soon enoughTO08TURBO will become famous soon enough
Thanks.

Didn't think of the secondary air pump, but the squealing noise is definitely there after the secondary air pump shuts down and the revs go down.

If it's making noise, wouldn't that be a sign of something potentially wrong or going wrong with the motor on the pump?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Why dont you videotape the sound to hear it?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
I actually made a recording with my camera. I'll take it into the dealer when I take the car. Just in case it decides to behave when I take it in.

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestion.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
My money would definately be on the alternator bearing.

My last 997S made that exact sound and P first diagnosed it as being a belt tensioner bearing and later found they were fine and it was actually the alternator. My turbo's alt hasnt failed yet but its still very low k's at 7k but every other 11 ive had before it the alt has always packed it in at one point. I think water that can make its way in and drip on top of it...i also notice when I wash the car and lift the engine lid to chamois off, the water will also drip all over it if you dont sneek a towel in first to cover everything.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks again for the suggestion.

I'll get them to check that, as well as the secondary air pump, and the tensioner bearing. Just in case it's quiet when I take it in.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Tiger is on a distinguished road
hope you get it settled at the dealer.
Do let us know what was.
Hopefully it will help the community.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
My '09 with about 1,000 miles on it has what would seem to be pretty much the same sound under the same conditions. Been wondering what it is. Haven't brought it in yet. Love to hear what your dealer says.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I'll definitely post a follow up to detail what they find. My car goes in today, and I should know something by tomorrow.

I am leaving it over night so that they can produce the sound and hopefully diagnose the source.

I actually spoke to a porsche mechanic (buddy) of mine) yesterday and he mentioned that there have been a few cars where the tensioner had to be replaced at very low mileage.

I'll ensure I post a follow up.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
That would be great!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Hey Rambo1, here is the update as I know you were interested in the outcome.

I took the car to downtown porsche, who I am sure you probably know given your location. Showed them a video identifying the noise, and they kept the car for 2 days to ensure they could replicate the noise during a cold start.

When I eventually returned (didn't get much of an update in the two days) they told me they could not hear it. I started it right there in front of them, and miracle of miracles the sound was there. The tech listened to it and said that it sounded like a bit of rust on a pulley, and would not recommend taking the engine out, considering it is a newer car, and I should monitor it and bring it back if the noise got worse. While the logic of his suggestion cannot be disputed, I am quite disappointed that they kept the car for two days and obviously did nothing with it. I may take it to Pfaff when I have time, as I have a buddy that works up there.

Let me know if you have any better success.

Take care.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TO08TURBO
The tech listened to it and said that it sounded like a bit of rust on a pulley, and would not recommend taking the engine out, considering it is a newer car, and I should monitor it and bring it back if the noise got worse.
Rust on a pulley!?! I'd have them changing that pulley out under warranty in no time flat.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 AM
TO08TURBO,

I haven't brought mine in yet, because as crazy as it sounds, I don't want to go a few days without it now that our good weather is here. Mine's an '09 I bought new from Pfaff back in November and I only have about 3000 kms on it, so I'm not sure if the sound will get worse as I put on more mileage. As soon as I have enough stuff to do on it (or the next time I'm travelling) I'll bring it in to them. FYI, the few times my car's been in for service at Pfaff, their service guys have been absolutely excellent. If you bring yours in before me, let me know what they say. I'll do the same. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I hear you on the good weather.

I'll let you know what the outcome is when I take it in to Pfaff.

Take care and enjoy the spring/summer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise on cold starting???