997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Should the Turbo be convertible? It's only going to be a weekend car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Question Should the Turbo be convertible? It's only going to be a weekend car?

A lot of people say that a true Turbo driver only buys a turbo in coupe, what are you thoughts on this?
"Its like buying a GT3 in convertible"--some one said

Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 PM
sam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to behold
The point of the car is to make you feel like a little kid again.

Dont buy the car based on otheres opinions, buy whichever makes you more happy.
-Sam

Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
There is a clear reason why they are different cars.
The GT3 is more track oriented, more hardcore. It is not available as a convertible, and for a reason. A track biased car does not fare as well on the track if it is convertible as opposed to a coupe. It is a structural rigidity issue mainly.

The TT is the ultimate all-rounder. It does everything brilliantly but stops short of being the best in class in any one category, except, well, the all-rounder category.

Being an all-rounder and not a track car, it is possible to get it in two different flavors: Coupe & Cab.
As cabs go, the new 997.2 TT is probably the least compromised cabs, when comparing cab vs. coupe (even considering rigidity), in history.

You pick the flavor that puts the biggest possible grin on your face, knowing that with either version you can't go wrong.

While your would-be detractors are sitting there arguing and theorizing, you would be laughing your behind off, cruising into the sunset, top-down, with your lady-friend's (or wife's if you must ) hair blowing in the wind!

Last edited by k_ddsl; 05-06-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Everyone buys what he likes but I would not buy one . Even placing aside the peformance drawback , acoustic loss , increased potential for leak , rattle , safety, skin cancer -- all this for more cost ..........

Even placing all the above aside .....
The idea of having road filfth blowing all over myself and my car's cabin is something that does not appeal to me .

Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
If the wether where you live allows it get a convertible, if you want the ultimate 911 get a GT2

Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Perhaps...but it is quite an amazing feeling to drive 170 top down on the Autobahn through the Black Forrest
Picking up a Turbo S cab in Zuffenhausen for a nice tour of Germany

Old 05-07-2010, 01:33 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thanks everyone for their feedback, Its great getting all these different views, I had 2 convertibles already, I think coupe is the way to go, but I did wanna hear what other's had to say about the drop, thanks guys.... and to K_ddsl, it will be the model of choice, lol....

Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
Thanks everyone for their feedback, Its great getting all these different views, I had 2 convertibles already, I think coupe is the way to go, but I did wanna hear what other's had to say about the drop, thanks guys.... and to K_ddsl, it will be the model of choice, lol....
My choice as well, on both counts!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:13 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Don't listen to all the BS. Buy what YOU want. Coupe or Cab, you can't go wrong in a Turbo.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Don't listen to all the BS. Buy what YOU want. Coupe or Cab, you can't go wrong in a Turbo.

thanks, I appreciate the insight , I will be crossing over into a whole other level of Porsche, and Porsche performance, and I cant wait until I become part of the clu
b............

Last edited by rvhpno80; 05-07-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I'm new to the club too (bought a coupe after thinking I wanted a cab and then driving both). Just got back from 3 days of the Porsche school in Alabama, that is a pretty neat and useful introduction to these cars and one I'd recommend.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by xseal
I'm new to the club too (bought a coupe after thinking I wanted a cab and then driving both). Just got back from 3 days of the Porsche school in Alabama, that is a pretty neat and useful introduction to these cars and one I'd recommend.
That must have been pretty cool....

Old 05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
Having grown up with a sports car addicted father, a sports car always meant an OPEN car to me. A spyder, a spitfire, a targa, a cabrio, a roadster. These cars are VERY well made convertibles. I feel very snug and cozy in the car with the top up, and love the sounds, sun, smells of the top down. I'm sure you would be happy with the hardtop, but when you're driving it stuck at 25 mph on a backroad, you could be in any car. A beemer, an acura, etc. However, press the button, and the top does this transformers-like dance and you're in a tight open car. No drips, no clouded rear window. The sounds and resonances of the car disappear to the rush of wind over your ears.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I've had coupes, went with a cab in hot Florida, my only regret is I don't get to drive it as much as i'd like to. Love to hear the exhaust with the top down.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by dma550
Having grown up with a sports car addicted father, a sports car always meant an OPEN car to me. A spyder, a spitfire, a targa, a cabrio, a roadster. These cars are VERY well made convertibles. I feel very snug and cozy in the car with the top up, and love the sounds, sun, smells of the top down. I'm sure you would be happy with the hardtop, but when you're driving it stuck at 25 mph on a backroad, you could be in any car. A beemer, an acura, etc. However, press the button, and the top does this transformers-like dance and you're in a tight open car. No drips, no clouded rear window. The sounds and resonances of the car disappear to the rush of wind over your ears.
Put very well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should the Turbo be convertible? It's only going to be a weekend car?