997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

911 Turbo S delivered/ driven

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 PM
wyo997 will become famous soon enoughwyo997 will become famous soon enough
2011 911 Turbo S delivered/ driven

LATEST NEWS: (September 2) I did a launch control start at sunset on a deserted straight highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCjsQ60q8dc
August 14: High Plains Raceway, Byers, CO; Porsche RMR PCA event: Video shows (silver) 2011 Turbo S (with factory Bridgestone RE 050A, on their final day of adhesion, after three DE days) overtaking (black) 2010 Turbo (with Bridgestone RE11's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfLZG5chX4

August 6: The Laramie County DA thinks the litterbug (video below) simply paid his fine to the court and didn't challenge the citation-not after hearing from the WHP trooper that there was a video (second below) posted on YouTube and in the hands of the DA already!

This Wednesday, the car got registered in Wyoming and now has a rear plate. I'll clean and drill the front bumper this weekend for the front plate. ah Wyoming!)

It was tech-inspected Wednesday for an advanced Driver Ed event at High Plains Raceway, August 14 and 15.

July 18, I tracked the Turbo S for the first time at HPR (novice and intermediate DE) and lapped the novice field twice in the morning session (without being "pushy" about it...just 'watch this!' GONE when the field waved me by, one-by-one! This car's so fast it's unbelievable. But you can sure tell who the better drivers are...even in 20 year old Targas!) By afternoon, I'd raised my speed on the straight from 132 to 146 and next corner entry from 50's to 70's and was holding off on the braking into that corner by full seconds...almost too fast, but I had tire inflation just right at a pound-under spec. ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BefrwB7B1L8

July 16, I completed 2000 mile break-in, changed oil and checked filter (no undue sign of wear).

July 14, I drove the car 600 miles in one day to further the break-in (now 1490 of 2000 miles needed by Friday, July 16 so I can change oil and be on-track Sunday, July 18). The drive involved coming into an accident closure of I-25 north of Denver and re-routing...a process that showed me that the car's navigation system receives traffic updates from FM radio channels and computes travel time accordingly. When I re-routed, the navigation system automatically re-calculated my arrival time and, despite being on a state highway with occasional stop light delays, I arrived hundreds of miles later...within five minutes of the navigation system's projected time! The PCM system is light-years ahead of the 997's: Easy to use, functionally LOGICAL and clear. I slept in the car from midnight to 2am and with the fully-reclining seat and slept well enough to complete my trip home by 5am.

July 7: I was attacked twice yesterday: Nearly killed by a swerving driver who went across the white line at the edge of the road (I think intentionally) while I was photographing the car for a magazine cover. An hour later, another driver threw a bag of litter at the car as I passed him. This greaser is about to face a $750 fine and jail time for littering -with complete disregard for public safety:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS51nyzfOH8

I have noticed that the engine runs much cooler than a 997's. The TS's rear deck cooling fan has never come on.
When I've popped the engine cover open, the heat I remember from the 997 hasn't been there.

(July 4) Just got back from 105 mile mountain drive with my 77 yo mom, including 65-90mph passes in 1-2 seconds and a sometimes 90mph 3,000 ft vertical climb in normal, sport and sport plus around various corners to test "feel" of car on US 130, west of Laramie and one of the most beautiful alpine drives in America.http://www.laserradio.com/range06.jpg. My first road kill with the car was on this drive... at 10,000 ft when a White Crown Sparrow dove into my grill from the right while I was driving 65mph. I stopped soon afterwards, hoping -against-hope that it had survived. I hadn't seen it emerge from under my car in my rear view mirror. Sure enough, I found its body against the center radiator. I pulled it out and apologized, looking it in the eyes- which then closed- and I left its body on a rock for another animal or insects to easily see and eat. That's extreme: Like my car and like my driving style. I try to be in harmony with the road.

This trip, up and down the mountains, the car's mileage was only 18.42 mpg. Last night, when I drove 102 miles on mostly flat plains, generally 7,000 ft altitude, I used a mere 3.8 gallons of gas= 26.47mpg (cruise control @ 65mph on state highway, occasional SPORT and SPORT PLUS bursts to 140 and 80mph on interstate return.) Total mileage in three days since July 1 delivery: 522 miles
NEW VIDEO: (July 4) Shortened version of "First Drive" posted yesterday (better at 6min- than 10min)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRC2T-TNvM

Second day impressions are that the Turbo S, in normal setting, is drivable "by any member of the family", much like an AMG Mercedes would be.

SPORT setting is definitely the one for the car's owner to employ on the highway and whenever other drivers need to be put into their place:
======================
Sidebar story:
On driving high performance cars like Ferrari and Porsche in Wyoming:
"Smoke shows" happen twice a month on average, like this one:
http://www.laserradio.com/colorado316RWR.wmv
When I record a "smoke show", I simply turn the video over to the police and highway patrol.

I also turn "smoke show" videos over to WyoTech auto tech school administration, so they can investigate their students (like the red pickup in the video above) and the student gets a notice that if anything like this is reported to the school again, they might be expelled. This ____ goes on all the time in Laramie and the cops are simply too lazy to think of it as anything other than a "muffler" problem- certainly not careless driving as a pickup driver is paying more attention to where his smoke is going (on the car behind him) than looking ahead and merging safely with interstate traffic.
End sidebar story
=====================
More "first impressions" with the Turbo S:
SPORT PLUS setting is only when the owner has an IMMEDIATE answer to the car's question (as it drops from 7th to 4th anywhere from 40mph up) "NOW WHAT?" Yesterday, after showing the car to a friend in front of his house I made the mistake of driving off in sport plus...at half throttle...and the engine red-lined in first gear within a two house distance! I couldn't believe it and I just hope the oil had warmed up enough (in the 10 minutes of driving/sitting before this mistake) for the hydrocarbon polymer chains to have heat-formed to prevent damage to anything with this one-time (I'll never make that mistake again) momentary revs to 6200 (400 miles into the 2000 mile break in and on a relatively "cold" engine, with oil temperature at only 175 degrees... duh!)

================================================== ===================
GENERAL STORY AND TIMELINE:

Hello everyone

I'm very fortunate and hope to fully document all aspects of my "Owner experience" with a new 2011 911 Turbo S here on this thread:
June 15, Arrival of car into Port of Houston- from Emden Germany- via "Marina Ace"
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=356067000

June 23, Arrival, first inspection at dealer, Ed Carroll Motors, Fort Collins, CO (POSTED video and stills)
June 26, reading owners manual (POSTED video)
June 30, Final approval/ inspection at dealer was cancelled, so the lojack and bra installers wouldn't be rushed by me coming down to personally wax the car this evening.

July 1 delivery and first drive (Video above)
I DROVE 381 MILES THE FIRST DAY!
Super improvement from the 997 in many areas (suspension, PCM touch screen, engine response and PDK with paddles I like better than Ferrari's).

July 15: Oil change after 2000 mile break in period is complete (below 4200 rpm for sustained periods of driving). Install LoJack auto theft protection system
July 18: First track experience at High Plains Raceway, Byers, CO (PENDING POST)
September 10/12 tracking at Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA (PENDING POST)

There are five more still photos... down below on page 1 of this post.
I'll have more details posted at my personal car web site and at YOUTUBE.
Hope you all enjoy the ride!

On Monday, June 21, the car arrived at Ed Carroll Porsche in Fort Collins, Colorado. Two days later, I drove my (59,800 mile) Ferrari 550 down from Laramie to see the new 911 for the first time:

Video of inspecting car for first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fTLPUbR1U

After reviewing the six or seven manuals that come with the car I'm amazed by Porsche's dedication to environmental issues. The company has exceeded every standard that's required (in pollution control- from factory to engine exhaust emissions, recycling of content- now at 85% of content and their goal is 95% and the fact that 2/3rd of all Porsches ever made are still on the road lowers the use of raw materials. In Germany, Porsche autos account for 1/10th of one percent of man-made CO2 emissions.

The biggest surprise was the five pages of details given the owner on the proper use of the center-lock RS style wheels! Ultimately, these wheels need 370 lbs of torque.

Video of reviewing owners manuals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDcYt5M3g6I

Hope everybody enjoys this!

Attached Images      

Last edited by wyo997; 10-11-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 PM
heron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond repute
congrats - very nice ride you have right there

Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
Very nice.

I think I like the standard Turbo wheels better than the RS wheels. I'm starting to wish I'd ordered them instead.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Congrats on a beautifully specced car.
Enjoy.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 AM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wyo997
My 2011 911 Turbo S arrived in the Port of Houston, June 15 aboard the "Marina Ace"
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shi...MMSI=356067000

On Monday, June 21, the car arrived at Ed Carroll Porsche in Fort Collins, Colorado. Two days later, I drove my (59,000 mile) Ferrari 550 down from Laramie to see the new car for the first time:

Stills:
http://www.laserradio.com/turbo-s-first-look.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fTLPUbR1U

On Thursday, July 1, the car will be delivered to me after installation of anti-theft, locking gas cap and bra/ body wax.
Future stills and videos will be shown at Youtube and at
http://www.wyo550.com
Enjoy!
And you enjoy it too!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Awesome !!!! Great video , beautiful car . Congrats .

Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Centerlocking wheels aren't standard on the S?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Beautiful car!!! I am jealous. There was also a short but great write-up in a recent issue of evo magazine praising the car.

Also - the wheels look great.

I am confused though - aren't center-locking wheels attached to an internal 5 spoke hub in these new Porsche street cars? It's not the same as the center-locking configuration as my open wheel formula car. Or am I wrong (as usual?).

Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 AM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bbywu
The center locks are standard but the regular Turbo wheels are a no-cost option.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
locking gas cap?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on a great acquisition! Also, thanks to your video, I plan to avoid traveling through Laramie County, WY...forever.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM
heron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slik560
Congrats on a great acquisition! Also, thanks to your video, I plan to avoid traveling through Laramie County, WY...forever.
no kidding - speeding must be a rich source of revenue for WY

Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 AM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
Nice video of a very nice Turbo S. You should avoid Laramie at all cost. Too many **** cops there for me. They must really need money to support all those cop cars.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
MSM37 is on a distinguished road
Very nice sir!

Did you have the option for no sunroof?

Not sure if a lower center of gravity would even be necessary with all the power the Turbo has...

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
wyo997 will become famous soon enoughwyo997 will become famous soon enough
RS wheels are standard- but not available and heavier

Originally Posted by bbywu
Neither the RS wheels nor the Ice Blue metallic color were available until August 2010 builds. So, instead of financing the car- and not being able to drive it for 6 months- I went with Arctic Silver (which is being discontinued in July 2010) and the Turbo S wheels (which actually weigh 500 grams less/ set of four- compared to the RS style). I like the RS wheels better on a dark body 911. The dual-featured Turbo 2 wheels accentuate the turbo intake and exhaust on the silver car. The weight savings is fine also.

Attached Images      

Last edited by wyo997; 06-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo S delivered/ driven