997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help pls (urgent): What is this fluid leak from beneath turbo housing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
After reading that thread I'm scared to drive the car.

Ed, did this happen to you? Did it get covered under warranty? Did it happen after your upgrades?
Yes, yes, and no comment

Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like coolant....The turbo itself has a coolant line going to it...You could have a bad o-ring or maybe it came loose...Worse case would be what happened to Ed...But I think you would have a much bigger puddle...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 PM
GEO 450 is on a distinguished road
Can,

You are bad luck man, I just noticed that my turbo is leaking again as well, my garage floor looks exactly like yours. I had it fixed a couple of months ago and have only driven the car twice since then. Dealer said it was a loose clamp, but now I am starting to wonder. As soon as the weather clears its back to the dealer for me. I sure would like to know what you find out when you get yours back

Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Petosin is also reddish and oily. See if there is any pooling around the power steering cap,
Yes, a trip to the dealer is in order.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
If it's oily and red, it could also be coolant. Pray it's not b/c it may mean a failed coolant pipe = trip to dealer, engine out, lots of labor to replace one stupid part. Not that I would know anything about that......

Read here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ark-werks.html
Ed, you're scaring me. Question: was the leak in your car a slow gradual one like mine, or was it a sudden catastrophic dump? I am thinking (hoping) if it's a slow leak, then hopefully it's just a loose hose somewhere else that perhaps won't require an engine drop

Car is safely at dealer and I won't hear until Monday.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Ed, you're scaring me. Question: was the leak in your car a slow gradual one like mine, or was it a sudden catastrophic dump? I am thinking (hoping) if it's a slow leak, then hopefully it's just a loose hose somewhere else that perhaps won't require an engine drop

Car is safely at dealer and I won't hear until Monday.
Can
If there was a slow leak, I never noticed it. It was sudden and catastrophic. Fortunately, the car was parked at the time.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
GEO 450 is on a distinguished road
Can,

what was the outcome of your leak, I still need to take mine to the dealer for similar problem. Thanks

Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Just noticed a small leak under mine. Its on the drivers side and appears to be coming from the engine block to metal coolant elbow. There are 2 of them one on each side of the crankcase and extend forward from the rear from a rubber gasket. It has what looks like a bleed nipple in the center of the elbow. Fluid appears clear and has no smell and doesn't feel oily.It is wet up around the flange at the engine block end. Any similar issues out there from this area?

Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Mav, I can't really tell from the pics. Any other shots?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 AM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Chris,
it looks like its coming from the tube beside the elbow. I put the camera under the car and snapped a few more shots. Not sure if this makes it clearer but its hard to get a perspective shot.

Attached Images    
Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Hard to tell Andrew, ask Viking to take a look at it.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Yes its headed there next week when I pick up the 964....glad I got the extended warranty