997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help pls (urgent): What is this fluid leak from beneath turbo housing?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:11 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Help pls (urgent): What is this fluid leak from beneath turbo housing?

Noticed this reddish looking fluid leaking from underneath my car, right rear wheel area; not much, just a streak of say 1/4 of small cup of coffee or so on the floor. It seems to come out of that triangular shape container right underneath the turbo housing (see pics). Fluid appears reddish and feels slightly slimy, feels like either oil or that pentosin stuff used in the hydraulic brake/steering wheel assist.

Questions please:
1. Any idea what this is please? Pentosin, oil, cooling fluid, brake fluid?
2. Drive to dealer or towed to dealer? Car was running fine when I pulled into garage yesterday. I have not tried to start it yet because I am afraid something is going to self destruct in the turbine. The turbo housing itself looks ok but the leak is in another housing right next to it and I don't know if they are connected.

I am free today so could bring it to dealer, therefore the somewhat urgent nature of these questions. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  

Last edited by cannga; 02-05-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Can, mine has done the same thing, i think it's the power steering/clutch accumulator system. They share a common reservoir. Leaking petosin is often the first sign of a CA failure. Mine had it, it now started doing it again.
Petosin is highly flammable, I wouldn't drive it too much if it's leaking near the exhaust.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi Chris, thank you.

That triangular shape container in the picture is related to the brake system I assume? The reason I asked is that when I had the leak the last time, like almost everyone else's, it was underneath the left front wheel. This one is under the right rear wheel; has your car had a leak in the rear area also?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If it feels a little oily and removes paint, Pentosin.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...name-leak.html

Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Can

Not sure what the triangular shape container you are referring to.

The container I see in the picture is the Turbo oil reservoir, hope that helps.

Looks like a coolant\oil leak, may be from the turbo fittings.

The turbos on these car are oil/water cooled on these cars.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 AM
GEO 450 is on a distinguished road
I had this exact same thing occur a month ago, took to dealer, was a very small leak due to a coolant hose with a lose clamp, tightened clamp at dealer and fixed the leak, exactly as you described. I drove to dealer to fix.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by GEO 450
I had this exact same thing occur a month ago, took to dealer, was a very small leak due to a coolant hose with a lose clamp, tightened clamp at dealer and fixed the leak, exactly as you described. I drove to dealer to fix.
Ok, I guess this is the same very dangerous leak that causes GT3, AND the car following them, to spin at the track? I have not been to GT3 forum lately but I believe there was (is?) a big brouhaha about how deficient Porsche engineering is for allowing this to occur. Something to do with wimpy clamp system?

I will drive car (slowly like a grandma LOL) to the dealer -- it's mostly downhill from my house to dealer so I will try to coast there in neutral :-). If I get a Boxster loaner, review sure to follow! Thanks again everyone for your helpful inputs.

Last edited by cannga; 02-05-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
It looks pinkish. Coolant.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Ok, I guess this is the same very dangerous leak that causes GT3, AND the car following them, to spin at the track? I have not been to GT3 forum lately but I believe there was (is?) a big brouhaha about how deficient Porsche engineering is for allowing this to occur. Something to do with wimpy clamp system?

I will drive car (slowly like a grandma LOL) to the dealer -- it's mostly downhill from my house to dealer so I will try to coast there in neutral :-). If I get a Boxster loaner, review sure to follow! Thanks again everyone for your helpful inputs.
no that leak involves a failure of adhesive on some of the hose attachment points and will evacuate the entire 5 gallon coolant system in about 20 seconds Yours appears less serious at this point but keep a close eye on it as you limp it to the dealer.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's coolant, it's red and it flowed on the floor. I think pentosin is yellowish?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
If it feels a little oily and removes paint, Pentosin.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...name-leak.html
If it's oily and red, it could also be coolant. Pray it's not b/c it may mean a failed coolant pipe = trip to dealer, engine out, lots of labor to replace one stupid part. Not that I would know anything about that......

Read here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ark-werks.html

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I agree, Ed. I think it's coolant.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
GEO 450 is on a distinguished road
Good luck and let us know if it was the easy fix or something else, it is always a bit disturbing seeing fluids leaking from the back of your car

Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
If it's oily and red, it could also be coolant. Pray it's not b/c it may mean a failed coolant pipe = trip to dealer, engine out, lots of labor to replace one stupid part. Not that I would know anything about that......

Read here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ark-werks.html

After reading that thread I'm scared to drive the car.

Ed, did this happen to you? Did it get covered under warranty? Did it happen after your upgrades?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help pls (urgent): What is this fluid leak from beneath turbo housing?