997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgraded ECU with Softronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
rfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to all
Upgraded ECU with Softronic

Decided to add a bit more power and upgrade the ECU using the softronic OBDII approach. Really worth it! You can read my rationale on my:
http://www.richardfrench.net/2011/03/02/upgrading-the-ecu/

Took less than 5 minutes to upload the new tuned map via the OBDII cable and flashing software.

Immediately took the car out for a drive and went to the nearest highway, accelerated up the on-ramp, quickly moved over a few lanes – with so much torque, and amazing responsiveness of the throttle, I was pushed quickly into the back of the seat (even more than normal) and reached an amazing speed without even realizing it. So much smoother. My only reaction is WOW!

I’m heading to the Laguna Seca next week and can’t wait to see how it does exiting the corners and on the main straightaway.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-02-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: removed active link to blog
Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
awesome!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
great to see you happy ..

enjoy your ride ..

Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
jmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to all
I'm getting weak over these Softronic posts. I am seriously leaning towards going this route. I like my car stock so far after 3 months but I want more! lol Glad you like the improvement

Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Its definitely a dramatic change to the car and power. The best part is you can do it now and any bolt on you do there is no need to reflash again. So its pretty much instant gratification!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
rfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to allrfrench is a name known to all
I decided last November I was going to do an ECU upgrade and got really serious about it a few weeks ago. Took a look at a lot of websites, talked to a couple of local shops before deciding on Softronic. What convinced me was 2 things. (1) I get to control it via the PC and OBDII port (2) I get my original map so that I can put it back when I need to get my emissions checked. The HP & Torque improvements were of course a critical factor.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jmw911
I'm getting weak over these Softronic posts. I am seriously leaning towards going this route. I like my car stock so far after 3 months but I want more! lol Glad you like the improvement

time is waisting...JUST DO IT!!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Would PSTT07 post a message here so I can reply to his Private message (I don't have 15 posts yet needed to reply unless you've posted on this thread).

Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Here you go...thanks for sharing your thoughts on the upgrade

Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
jmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to alljmw911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by vividracing
Its definitely a dramatic change to the car and power. The best part is you can do it now and any bolt on you do there is no need to reflash again. So its pretty much instant gratification!
I will be calling you hopefully soon to discuss it.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:11 PM
DJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rfrench
Decided to add a bit more power and upgrade the ECU using the softronic OBDII approach. Really worth it! You can read my rationale on my:
http://www.richardfrench.net/2011/03...ading-the-ecu/

Took less than 5 minutes to upload the new tuned map via the OBDII cable and flashing software.

Immediately took the car out for a drive and went to the nearest highway, accelerated up the on-ramp, quickly moved over a few lanes – with so much torque, and amazing responsiveness of the throttle, I was pushed quickly into the back of the seat (even more than normal) and reached an amazing speed without even realizing it. So much smoother. My only reaction is WOW!

I’m heading to the Laguna Seca next week and can’t wait to see how it does exiting the corners and on the main straightaway.
Did you do the upgrade yoursefl? And if not was your car dynoed to make sure the torque and hp matched nicely with each gear? Otherwise seems like you are enjoying the new upgrade. Post additonal comments as you continue to drive the ECU program.

Jay

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Gentlemen, be aware the OBD flashing, while a very successful and easily method of rewriting the ECU...can cause problems.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dme-today.html

Last edited by bbywu; 03-02-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
zdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the rough
I hope I'm allowed to post this, but there is a lot of posts here that make ECU programming best thing since sliced bread. While enticing, I've had some negative experiences, it may be worth checking it out:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...u-upgrade.html

Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by DJ23
Did you do the upgrade yoursefl? And if not was your car dynoed to make sure the torque and hp matched nicely with each gear? Otherwise seems like you are enjoying the new upgrade. Post additonal comments as you continue to drive the ECU program.

Jay
I performed the flash upgrade myself. Followed the instructions to the letter to ensure that I didn't screw anything up. Had battery charger going (battery was at 90%) power to laptop and very long cat5 cable to connect to Internet (get spotty wireless connection in my garage).

Living in California it's not that easy or convenient to find 93 or 100 octane gas so the map is based on 91 octane, 6 speed manual trans and previously dyno'd 997 turbos with the same mods (stock) and the same chip version. Next time I'm at thunder hill, I plan to dyno the car to figure out the best shift points given change in HP and torque.

Maybe Vivid can post more details about the map generation based on multiple dyno inputs.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Just be sure that the o2 sensors, etc are turned on. Often they are turned off or their thresholds raised to a level that will never pass state inspection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgraded ECU with Softronic