997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I usually only drive the car on the weekends, and almost always happens for me. Luckily I'm in an under ground garage so doesn't really worry me. But will for sure attend to this when the transmission is due. Thanks for the info - solves a nagging question!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
nevert00fast will become famous soon enoughnevert00fast will become famous soon enough
Mine is doing it too. Please PM me the technical report #, thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
Mine is doing it too. Please PM me the technical report #, thanks!
Will do. But check your battery strength as well. Xseal has a very valid point with the battery condition. Put it on charge to make sure its full and see if that lowers the occurrences.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
nevert00fast will become famous soon enoughnevert00fast will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by speed21
Will do. But check your battery strength as well. Xseal has a very valid point with the battery condition. Put it on charge to make sure its full and see if that lowers the occurrences.
If it's related to a weak battery, then it shouldn't happen on hot start where the battery is fully charged from the drive. I'm on the original battery and the car is 3 years old now so I'm sure the battery strength has something to do with it also.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
If it's related to a weak battery, then it shouldn't happen on hot start where the battery is fully charged from the drive. I'm on the original battery and the car is 3 years old now so I'm sure the battery strength has something to do with it also.
Not to say you dont have a sensor position issue but 3 years is indeed very good going for the original Porsche battery. I'd check it out just in case its on the verge of leaving you stranded....just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I just put a new battery in mine, it still does it all the time.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I just put a new battery in mine, it still does it all the time.
Well....you know the fix TT. I can only report that since early December last year when i had my sensor re adjusted it has never happened again. Now its a nice feeling knowing that every time i start the car im not dipping into the lucky dip barrel.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Zamir is on a distinguished road
Went to Porsche of West Houston and explained the problem and showed them this thread. Was told that this never happened to non-modded cars, and the software causes the issue. So much for a warranty claim!! Could someone please PM me the TSB number. My warranty expires in October, so would like to get this issue fixed.

Thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Zamir
Went to Porsche of West Houston and explained the problem and showed them this thread. Was told that this never happened to non-modded cars, and the software causes the issue. So much for a warranty claim!! Could someone please PM me the TSB number. My warranty expires in October, so would like to get this issue fixed.

Thanks
My car is not modded, has a new battery, had the cam sensor replaced (and cam, but that was for a different issue) and it still does it occasionally.

I also get a rather loud rattle on start up when the car sits for a day or two after a long trip. Sounds awful, like there's no oil somewhere.... but that's probably for another thread.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !

Thanks
You might ask them to tell you which mod caused the sensor to lose its proper position and how.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future

Thanks
They need to check their records bc I complained about it when I bought my new Turbo in '07, they told me it was "normal".

Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Zamir is on a distinguished road
I will Doug. I think I saw your car there yesterday. I was talking to Don, and he denied that an issue existed. I am not giving up though. Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

Zamir

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
They need to check their records bc I complained about it when I bought my new Turbo in '07, they told me it was "normal".

Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
My TT had this issue. Took car into Rusnak WL and they searched and found a tech bulletin. They yanked the engine and re-gapped some flywheel sensors and all is OK now!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

Thanks
Sorry. Haven't been checking this thread for activity. Usually i only look on the first page due to time constraints.

Most dealers aren't aware there is a technical fix for this, but if they put some effort in they will find it. They are just using the mods as an excuse for their ignorance, which is fairly standard. PM on way.

Edit: Oops.. just realised i had previously pm'd you and you have yours fixed now .

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Hi Doug,
Yes there is definitely a tech for this problem. Again the good ole "thats normal" is to be expected and so typical because unless they actually go out of their way to investigate the issue by making the enquiries through the right channels they aren't likely to stumble on to the tech. Something like this is not normal and there are always reasons behind issues like this. The odd smoke on start up is another one. But i have my own theory on that. It's not an engine killer but there would be a fix.

Originally Posted by summoboy
My TT had this issue. Took car into Rusnak WL and they searched and found a tech bulletin. They yanked the engine and re-gapped some flywheel sensors and all is OK now!
Good to hear they resolved your issue. It's nearly 12 months for me now and mine has been perfect....no more spike issues. Btw did you give them the number or did they manage to find it under their own steam?

Last edited by speed21; 12-22-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You might ask them to tell you which mod caused the sensor to lose its proper position and how.
PM on way Jh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!