997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Window going crazy and not rolling up all the way.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Chris A. is on a distinguished road
Window going crazy and not rolling up all the way.

Ok so ive tried to search and cant find a similar issue. My closest dealer is 2 hours away, so that's the reason I ask.

Basically the passenger window rolls up fine from all the way down to closed. Unless i push the drivers side toggle switch up fully. (There's the distinct two seperate positions in the switch). If i try to close it by pushing the switch all the way up it rolls up about 3/4 of the way then rolls all the way back down. I can sit there and repeat it over and over again. If i push the switch half way it rolls up fine. What is going on with this goofy thing?

Like i said, its not a big enough issue to take to the dealer for, but i will have them check it out next time im close by. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this or any ideas what would be stopping it 3/4 of the way up.

Thanks Guys

Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Reset the windows - very simple procedure. It's in the owners manual. Check the index in the manual under "windows" - I think there only 2 or 3 pages referenced - can't remember which one.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 04-11-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
Chris, the window is hitting the "anti-pitch" protection. It is an amperage based feature that senses when there is something obstructing the window path. Inspect the run channels for the window and if you have a mild silicone spray, squirt some down the channels to aid in the window sliding up and down. Also while the window is moving up watch the rubber moldings to see if it is getting bound up. You may also be able to hear a change in pitch as the motor needs to work harder. There are angle adjustments for the window but I would recommend a 2 hour road trip for that. Ill post the thread where this issue was touched on.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Well I feel like an idiot.... sure cant find reset instructions. My manual instructs me to page 32 and 222. Cant find anything about resetting though.

Im going out now to check for any dirt or debris in between the rubber seal and the window.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 PM
After some quick googling it looks like i just roll it down and hold the button for 10 secs to reset then do the same holding it up. Does that sound correct?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Yup. That's it. Very simple. And if u ever disconnect the battery, you'll have to do it again. Although 10 seconds is not needed, go to the top....release....and up again and it saves it. I have to do it everyday. Cheers

Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris A.
Well I feel like an idiot.... sure cant find reset instructions. My manual instructs me to page 32 and 222. Cant find anything about resetting though.

Im going out now to check for any dirt or debris in between the rubber seal and the window.
It's easy to miss -look under "storing end position".

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997 Owners Manual pg29.pdf (116.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
very useful info here. Also for some folks (me) will run into an issue where the window catches where you open/close the door. This is usually because the solenoid switch which tells the computer that the door is open is faulty. The car drops the window 1/4" or so when opening/closing the door the raises the last 1/4" when closed. If the solenoid is defective then the door never tells the computer that it is open.