997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgrading 997.1 key stops unwanted trunk opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Upgrading 997.1 key stops unwanted trunk opening

997.1 has issues with accidental trunk opening with key tab. New tab Porsche#000-043-400-14 ($53) solves problem by requiring the trunk tab to be held much longer than door opening tab. Plus door tab is at indented level than trunk lid tab. Not sure when this mod came out, but that accidental front lid opening was a real pain.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:56 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
997.1 has issues with accidental trunk opening with key tab. New tab Porsche#000-043-400-14 ($53) solves problem by requiring the trunk tab to be held much longer than door opening tab. Plus door tab is at indented level than trunk lid tab. Not sure when this mod came out, but that accidental front lid opening was a real pain.
I WANT THIS! Everytime I put my key in my pocket or even look at it wrong, it opens the damn frunk!

Is this a new fob? Will send Suncoast a query on this one. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
I WANT THIS! Everytime I put my key in my pocket or even look at it wrong, it opens the damn frunk!

Is this a new fob? Will send Suncoast a query on this one. Thanks for the tip!

+1 cant stand when it happens

Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
This has been a long standing problem. IIRC, about 3 years ago or so, someone posted a DIY fix that was pretty easy to do. Sorry I can't remember the details or who posted...but it didn't cost anything. I'll see if I can find it.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
This has been a long standing problem. IIRC, about 3 years ago or so, someone posted a DIY fix that was pretty easy to do. Sorry I can't remember the details or who posted...but it didn't cost anything. I'll see if I can find it.
I remember this thread. Involved fashioning a metal cover for the trunk button rendering it useless. He button is annoying but I still want it functional.
Other option was to buy the Smart Top unit?? No thanks.

I did hear back from Ric at Sucoast. Said this 'kit' was just replacement buttons and a gasket? OP, can you confirm?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
I remember this thread. Involved fashioning a metal cover for the trunk button rendering it useless. He button is annoying but I still want it functional.
Other option was to buy the Smart Top unit?? No thanks.

I did hear back from Ric at Sucoast. Said this 'kit' was just replacement buttons and a gasket? OP, can you confirm?
Here's something from Rennlist:
My new remote was super sensitive in my jeans pocket
Asked my dealer about it today.
There is a fix that is really simple and it comes from Atlanta.

Separate the head of your remote.

You will see that the circuit board is covered with a gasket.
Dealer said to cut out the center section under the buttons.
I chose just to cut off the nibs that stick up.
That seemed to help alot

Also, I remember reading that dealer can program delay from 700ms to 1100ms (or something like that) and there was a bulletin with this fix.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for bringing this up, I added this to the site a long time ago and I thought it was just a replacement set. You are correct, they are stiffer to prevent accidental activation.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM
AgentSteel is on a distinguished road
i have the opposite problem, the button has to be held down longer, and sometimes the damn lid wont open and have to push it a few times.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:34 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Same issue as well. Curious if this can be considered warranty item?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 AM
lexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond repute
. . . New tab Porsche#000-043-400-14 ($53) solves problem by requiring the trunk tab to be held much longer than door opening tab. . . .
You can save your pennies and do this fix yourself. Each of the fob buttons has a 'pin' that pushes down on the rubber switch membrane between the button and the switch on the electronic board. All is needed is to reduce the hight on the button 'pin' by about 1mm. Just file down the pin. I used my trusty Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel but you can also do this using a small file.

Total time is about 15 minutes.

Total cost: Free

Take apart your remote key fob and remove one or both buttons. Your unmolested fob button will look like this. Notice the small 'dot' in the center of the pin plastic mould.

Using your Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel file down the pin by 1mm. The distance is about to the edge of the 'dot' visible in the center of the pin,

Another view from the top,

Put the key fob back together and test out. The button will now need to be depressed so that the top of the button surface is slightly bellow the key fob surface.

Problem solved!

Attached Images    
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
I have an 07 and the original remote was so sensitive that I frequently came back to my car with the trunk propped opened. Not good. My dealer replaced it under warranty last year. Now I have a remote that is the opposite (must hold down the key awhile for trunk to open). I will take the new revised one any day over the original (it drove me nuts).

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM
ksdprasad will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lexart
You can save your pennies and do this fix yourself. Each of the fob buttons has a 'pin' that pushes down on the rubber switch membrane between the button and the switch on the electronic board. All is needed is to reduce the hight on the button 'pin' by about 1mm. Just file down the pin. I used my trusty Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel but you can also do this using a small file.

Total time is about 15 minutes.

Total cost: Free

Take apart your remote key fob and remove one or both buttons. Your unmolested fob button will look like this. Notice the small 'dot' in the center of the pin plastic mould.

Using your Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel file down the pin by 1mm. The distance is about to the edge of the 'dot' visible in the center of the pin,

Another view from the top,

Put the key fob back together and test out. The button will now need to be depressed so that the top of the button surface is slightly bellow the key fob surface.

Problem solved!

Super idea Sir.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Our RemoteKey or SmartTop unit will allow this same option, plus a good list of other features many owners like (beep/lock), etc.

Of course, the cheaper options are mentioned above....but this will add many other features.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:07 PM
petporcheman is on a distinguished road
trunk button

did the file down and the remotes works as it should . yu have to really want the trunk open. and yes it was free and took 10 minutes thank again. mike

Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I am going to try this tonight. I have this problem at least once a week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading 997.1 key stops unwanted trunk opening