997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Occasional smoke during startup... is this normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 AM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Occasional smoke during startup... is this normal?

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago i started up my 997.1TT after a 4-5hr rest period and was surprised to see a big cloud of light grey (??blue) smoke... I asked the Porsche centre service manager about it and he said thats normal for the turbo... he also said the car would use some oil compared to the Boxster S I have....

It's really only happened once the other day, filling the garage with smoke (unpleasant).... I have just spotted this post which makes me worried https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3144017

Could someone chime in and give me some advice... should I be pressuring the service centre to investigate further?

Cheers,

drvik

Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Absolutely normal on our cars with what you are describing.
Run a search on here about startup smoke and you will see that it is very common.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 AM
mat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to behold
Yes very common, but also very embarrassing...

Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, unnerving but common.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 AM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
Yes thank you all, I've had a quick read around and it seems I'm not the only one... very embarrassing... I'll try the 2 minute cooldown trick... a bit hard since I always run late to everything

Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i have found that it is completely unpredictable when it will happen, whether i give it the 60sec idle or not

Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
Yep, happens on my 997GT2. Did it since 286 miles when I bought it.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
It happens to me sometimes . It may not smoke for a week and It may smoke 2 days in a row. Also, I found mine mostly come out from driver side pipe.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
lexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond repute
Completely normal . . .

Still trying to find the pattern of these smoke-starts. Mine tends to smoke on start up after it sits in the garage for about a week or so. On more frequent starts - it smokes less frequently.

I also noticed (could be just in my head thou) that going from M1 0w40 to M1 5W40 TDT oil seems to reduce this condition . . .

Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
I would suggest to change from the 0-40w to Mobil 5-50w. My car seems to not burn as nearly as much oil as with the 0-40w.
http://store.avlube.com/mobil15w50.html

This is what Kevin from UMW has said about the puff off smoke.

"The cuase is a result of gravity and the lightweight oil. The oil will shed off the rings and puddle at the bottom of the cylinder liner. As soon as the engine starts, the oil is burnt. You should only see a random PUFF. If it is cronic, the turbocharger turbine seals are most likely needing replaced."

Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
scont07tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by handdoc
i have found that it is completely unpredictable when it will happen, whether i give it the 60sec idle or not
^^^^^^^^

Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
common on Subie, 911 etc. flat motor designs.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lexart
Completely normal . . .

Still trying to find the pattern of these smoke-starts. Mine tends to smoke on start up after it sits in the garage for about a week or so. On more frequent starts - it smokes less frequently.

I also noticed (could be just in my head thou) that going from M1 0w40 to M1 5W40 TDT oil seems to reduce this condition . . .

The switch to Mobil 5w - 40 TDT has really helped with the smoking issue at start up for me (thats not why I switched oil viscosity). Its hard to find a pattern that causes the smoke but most of the time if my car is sitting for a few days and I start it (just to move it up a few feet to make room for the truck) then shut it down immediately, the next time I fire her up there is a good chance it will throw out a puff of smoke. Nothing to be concerned about really. My car hardly burns any oil at all apart from the occasional smoke signals.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 AM
mat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to behold
So regarding Boxer engines/Start up smoke, my findings:

- Subaru Sti (tuned/exhaust etc) had it for 4 years : ZERO start up smoke
- 40 years Anniversary 996 (bone stock), 5 years: 7-8 times
- 997 Turbo Tip 2007, (stock-europipe): in my hands 3 months now, 4 times

Mat911

Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
You will definitely get smoke with this sequence -
Start cold car (well 80 degrees out but sitting overnight)
Reposition car in garage for work (30 second run time)
Shut down
Start up and reposition car after work (30 second run time)
Shut down
Start car next morning - always smokes.

Never get smoke on starts after car has been warmed up and shut down.

Characteristic of the boxer engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Occasional smoke during startup... is this normal?