997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pandora in Your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
Pandora in Your Porsche?

Well Pandora went public today so this is a good time to ask the question, does anyone know how to stream Pandora in the 997.2?

I’m a big Pandora fan and at home I stream from AT&T to amp via Bluetooth bridge. I go direct to power amps (bypassing preamp) and use the volume control on the iphone or ipad. It sounds really good.

<O</OWhen I try to use the Bluetooth sync already set up in the car with iphone it won’t stream Pandora. When I plug the iphone into the Porsche Bluetooth adapter the car audio goes direct to the ipod list.

<O</OI’ve read that other cars can do this.<O</O

Last edited by number 3; 06-15-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Download the Pandora App
Plug into the Porsche Ipod adapter.
Hit the front home button on your iphone to get to your home screen
Locate Pandora
Hit play.

I do so with other audio apps via the Porsche iPod connector (e.g. Sticher for Rush Limbaugh)!

Why not stream via wifi at home? BlueTooth is so limited in range. All my Ipads, Iphones and Macbooks stream Pandora, Sticher, iTunes via wifi and the those devices also can control your amp, volume, etc.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 AM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
Hi Bland,

Tried that but it will go direct to ipod music list on iphone. maybe you don't have ipod loaded on your phone, or I don't see how to change it, afterall, see my thread from yesterday, I am an idiot!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by number 3
Hi Bland,

Tried that but it will go direct to ipod music list on iphone. maybe you don't have ipod loaded on your phone, or I don't see how to change it, afterall, see my thread from yesterday, I am an idiot!
WHere's your thread?

Once it goes to music on the your ipHone, get the home button and go to Pandora and hit Play. It will work. Hit the DISC button in your Porsche to get to the proper screen. You won't see a Pandora display. Make sure your iPod is not playing a song. I'm using an iPhone. You can't remove ipOd from the iPhone. They are all the same. It will work, you just haven't figured it out yet. I've even used my iPad in my car!

Get the iRule app for your home system. Wifi, robust and will control anything IR, IP or serial in your home without the need to bypass your pre-amp.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the advice and I’ll try it that way.

<O</OBTW the reason to bypass the preamp is for improved sound quality. Any circuits or anything in the path will degrade the sound quality. I have tube power amps to Kplish speakers and the output especially from the iphone is very high data rate. The sound is like listening to a vinyl record the first time it was played. I have seperate preamp so it was easy to bypass. Very smooth and round.<O</O

Last edited by number 3; 06-15-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I finally stopped trying to connect via bluetooth and plugged the iphone into the ipod plug and it works fine. Only problem is that the iphone won't fit into the small space that Porsche gives you and it won't fit under the cheap lid.

I looked up irule and it looks like a total waste of time and money. Have to buy seperate software and the plugs that are purchased from another vendor are device specific. Apple has the airplay software built into the phone if you want to go that way.

P now below IPO price market stinks anyway.

Last edited by number 3; 06-16-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Irule will cost you under $200 and control any device that uses IR, serial, or LAN (IP) commands. Airplay is only for Apple. Use it for your media room, garage door, lights, theater and home automation system. Remember, you get feedback too ( so you know if your garage doors are open or closed, what volume level you're at or whether your home security system is armed or not). Not bad for a couple hundred dollars. My home theater cost almost as much as my car and this app can run it all- even if I'm on the road and my kids want me to start it up!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM
airplay-airport or bluetooth bridge will control any audio equipment. A lot of high end audio equip does not have wireless or ethernet interface and can't use irule or other systems like that.

For now, I do agree with you about video and other apps.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Cartronics
@thebland - there is one like that called RedEye (less expensive, but a bit different) too. I also develop home automation apps, so will look into the iRule. Thanks for the tip!
You will find iRule far more robust with better graphics and you can do it all yourself!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:25 PM
iRule

Here's a page from my home theater remote (IRULE)

Old 06-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Z Wave can be implemented into an iPad just like iRule and there are a number of zWave manufacturers now. For a project geared more towards hifi and HT, iRule has the best interface and features and is very, very reliable.. I prefer the large iRule library of commands, graphics and simplicity of installation. You can embed your local channel guide, iTunes, etc in to it and get feedback (coming next week).

I dumped my expensive controller system for my theater for this $49 app and DIGI cache. I can run large macros, etc and it works over 3G. I have it on my iPhone and iPads. Since most of my components in my systems have serial ports (or lan ports), I simply plug them into my DIGI cache or into my router and control can occur from anywhere in the house. However, you can have independent IR channels, an IR block or whatever you like - all controlled over wifi.

It's nice to walk into any room, and use my iphone if I can't find the remote or, better, when reading or surfing on my iPad, I simply go to iRule to check out Directv without having to pick up another remote. The kids have personalized remotes and macros, too. And at the end of the night, one Macro can ensure all TVs, lights, and other components are turned off. Z Wave can do this as well, with feedback, but does not have the interface of iRule.

Here are some URLs you can embed while using your remote:

http://www.tvguide.com/ipad - Lists the TV Guide based on your provider, time and channel.

http://m.weather.com - Enter in your zip, then copy the URL. This will then give you a 10-day forecast, 36 hour forecast or current.

http://m.cnn.com - Mobile version of CNN.

http://www.siriusxm.com/channellineup - Lists what XM channel each station is.

http://www.siriusxm.com/programschedules - Program Schedules for each XM/Sirius station.

http://m.facebook.com - Allows you to surf Facebook while still controlling your system from the app.

Very, very cool stuff.

IT is easy to program and though there are dealers, it is easy to do yourself. IT can even act as a front end for Crestron, AMX, RTI, etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Thanks for the info. I am actually a Home Automation developer as well as a M.O.S.T. fiber optic developer (they are actually very similar). Strange, with my head down working like crazy I had not heard of iRule yet. In the last hour or so of research, I have turned up a lot.... thank you very much - Maybe I can make Home Automation as easy as I have made fiber optic hookups for Porsche / Mercedes / BMW / Audi / Land Rover. That is my forte. Back before Steve Jobs had thought of software button touchscreen systems, I developed one for CNC Robotics in the late 90s (my claim to fame). I took a previously task that took at least two weeks of training, and made it so many wives of plant managers (that had no interest on a trade show floor) learned in less than 2 minutes to cut complex parts on large format CNC systems.
I try to take "black art' projects that most people think are too difficult and make them "idiot proof".
Thanks again...

Good to know. Very cool. You've been at it longer than I have! Sounds like you do some major car automation. TRy the iRule and tell me what you think. You can get started with a cache for $130 (serial port and three IR ports and $49 for the software). Very slick. Unlike Crestron, RTI, AMX... no need for expensive boxes to do the processing. ALl is in the iPad. There are some new features soon to be released to make things even more robust and programming easier and quicker.

I'm a HT enthusiast... more so than a Porsche guy. I've had systems for many years. Always trying to find the cutting edge of performance.

Here is a link to my system that was featured in Electronic House. I'm replacing my expensive RTI system with my iRule iPad:
http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...ains_a_theater

Great conversation!