997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Possible to Delete Wing from 997 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 AM
cosmokr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rare
A sports classic duckbill would look great.
Anyone fitted one to a turbo?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 AM
rare will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cosmokr
Ugh. Not sure i like that.

Maybe it's the stock wheels letting it down.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Jake's Oy will become famous soon enoughJake's Oy will become famous soon enough
I like the stock wheels ;_;

Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
I would like to remove the inlets on the rear quarters. I know the induction helps to produce some more power, correct me if I'm wrong?

I fell in love with the looks of the 993TT in my youth and like just the extra bit of wing thank you very much.

...don't wanna hijack this thread...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Jake's Oy will become famous soon enoughJake's Oy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I would like to remove the inlets on the rear quarters. I know the induction helps to produce some more power, correct me if I'm wrong?
Those feed air to your intercoolers... Removing them would be all kinds of bad.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

I fell in love with the looks of the 993TT in my youth and like just the extra bit of wing thank you very much.

...don't wanna hijack this thread...
You'd need to feed your IC's elsewhere then. Without those inlets my 996 has IAT about 20C above ambient in crusing, when flooring it rises to 40+C over ambient. And around +55C ( IAT ) Motronic starts to pull ignition = less power available.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
fordgasm is on a distinguished road
cover up the inlets to the intercoolers? oh my god.............

Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
^^

Exactly... WTF did you buy a turbo for??

Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mini George
^^

Exactly... WTF did you buy a turbo for??
Because race car.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think the op would be happier in a regular carrera.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 AM
johnjohnson78 is on a distinguished road
The fact that somebody doesn't want a huge wing on the back of their 997 does not mean that they won't appreciate the power, performance and tunability of a 997T. There are certain kinds of enthusiasts who prefer to have serious power without broadcasting it to the entire world. More go, less show as they say. Will the wing provide more downforce? We have to assume it will, but the 4S seams to make it to 185 mph or so. I'm certainly willing to concede that there will be less downforce with the 4S wing but at what speed will there actually be a tangible difference? I'd genuinely like to know. While I like the 997T wing as far as wings go, I'm kind of partial to the clean and classic 911 lines without it. Purely subjective.

Last edited by johnjohnson78; 01-27-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM
nota_troll will become famous soon enoughnota_troll will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by johnjohnson78
The fact that somebody doesn't want a huge wing on the back of their 997 does not mean that they won't appreciate the power, performance and tunability of a 997T. There are certain kinds of enthusiasts who prefer to have serious power without broadcasting it to the entire world. More go, less show as they say. Will the wing provide more downforce? We have to assume it will, but the 4S seams to make it to 185 mph or so. I'm certainly willing to concede that there will be less downforce with the 4S wing but at what speed will there actually be a tangible difference? I'd genuinely like to know. While I like the 997T wing as far as wings go, I'm kind of partial to the clean and classic 911 lines without it. Purely subjective.
...resurrecting this thread because I want a turbo/GT3/GT2 without a wing. I too prefer the clean lines of a 911. It suck you can't have a Metzger block without a wing.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
If I recall correctly from the 996TT world, the rear wing is responsible for a whopping 18 pounds of downforce (or something like that) at near the vmax speed of the vehicle. The 997TT rear wing appears at least similar to me, so I suspect you're not talking about much downforce at all.

The guys on the 996TT side also get all uptight when you talk about removing the rear wing, but I think the reality is that it does very little to actually promote either stability or downforce at any speed. I suspect you'd be just fine without it, and that the car won't suddenly fly off the road or anything. I have permanently disabled mine in the down position and can ensure you guys I have never missed it or thought that it would have enhanced my driving experience if it were up instead of down.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:36 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Turbo Wing info

For what it's worth...From Porsche regarding the wing.

Last edited by therock88; 09-24-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Luxembourger is on a distinguished road
Well done. Update?

Bonehead- hope all is well, it's been a while since you posted on this forum. Congrats to a fantastic conversion! It's a matter of personal preference and I'm like you also prefer the clean look of a wingless 911.

Grateful if you could describe your experience in more detail:

(i) What PARTS do you need exactly? ie. I assume a replacement C2S lid, but are there any other parts such as air ducts, wiring harnesses, other things to consider? (please note I'm planning to convert a gen1 997.1..)

(ii) Did you have any issues with VENTILATION that you needed to sort out? I'm assuming the C2S lid/ fan is sufficient to cool the GT1 engine as well.. or is it very different?

(iii) Do you have more PHOTOS? I'm especially interested in the rear angle views, showing the airducts behind the wheels as well as those above the engine bay

Thanks x1000000 in advance!

Originally Posted by bonehead
Done and done.

Last edited by Luxembourger; 05-24-2015 at 03:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible to Delete Wing from 997 Turbo?