997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Possible to Delete Wing from 997 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Michael88 is on a distinguished road
Possible to Delete Wing from 997 Turbo?

This may seem like a weird question, but here goes. Can I replace the deck lid with an aftermarket piece or perhaps a replacement from a C2/C4 and thereby delete the wing from my 997 Turbo? If so, would this seriously reduce stablility or anything? Would this affect driving on local streets and freeways (say under 100mph) or just at the track? I guess that's more like three questions. I searched the forums, but couldn't find any discussion of this idea.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Michael88
This may seem like a weird question, but here goes. Can I replace the deck lid with an aftermarket piece or perhaps a replacement from a C2/C4 and thereby delete the wing from my 997 Turbo? If so, would this seriously reduce stablility or anything? Would this affect driving on local streets and freeways (say under 100mph) or just at the track? I guess that's more like three questions. I searched the forums, but couldn't find any discussion of this idea.

Thanks,
Mike
Because the wing pops up at 75mph I suspect it would hurt aero and stability seriously. Even the C2/C4 wings pop up at speed.

The mechanics of the turbo wing and C2/C4 are different so it might not be easy to replace.

You could certainly add an after market wing as there are plenty around. It just depends on what you are really trying to accomplish.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
You could certainly add an after market wing as there are plenty around. It just depends on what you are really trying to accomplish.
Thanks for the reply. I prefer the appearance of the Carrera--I'm not a fan of this big wing on the back of the Turbo. So my thought was, maybe I can swap out the wing and decklid for the more integrated system on the Carrera.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The body shape of the turbo is a wind tunnel, track tested design that has been used over multiple generations.

I'm not sure it is wise to alter the aerodynamic design of a vehicle simply because you don't like the looks.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=ruf_turbo;3288721]Because the wing pops up at 75mph I suspect it would hurt aero and stability seriously. Even the C2/C4 wings pop up at speed.

I thought at first the wing only came up at ~75. I found the wing can be moved up at any speed by the dash switch. Having the spoiler up really adds a new-special look to the turbo. Comes down with ignition off, so my switch gets punched on startup joint with sport mode.

Last edited by johnww; 08-16-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
I'm not sure it is wise to alter the aerodynamic design of a vehicle simply because you don't like the looks.
Makes sense. I need a CAD simulation or a wind tunnel for a day.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
I think the rear of the 911 looks odd without a wing and the stock turbo one is a bit too docile for my tastes. Misha wing comes in on Thursday

Under 100mph I don't see how you're going to notice much of a difference with street driving but I'm not sure if it would be worth permanently trying to run a wing-delete option.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Done and done.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
I was thinking a spare wingless deck-lid. The police in my town think im automatically speeding with a big RS spoiler... would be nice to switch up sometimes.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I didn't see the wing as that much of an issue...infact to the contrary. Maybe sell the car and get a 4S?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Done and done.
So it is possible. Very nice photos, thank you.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
In a fastback design like the 911, the rear tail is important for stability at high speed. The form of the 911's fastback, with a slope of about 30 degree (as opposed to a more gradual slope), is particularly prone to high speed instability without the wing.

In addition, both front lift AND rear lift are reduced by that wing. This is a significant part of the car's design, and one not meant to be removed. People may have done it, and someone may not feel any difference, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. My humble opinion: leave the wing alone.

Last edited by cannga; 08-17-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
hey bonehead - great shots and i thought i would also like to do it but now i think the spoiler is part of the killer look of the turbo. things look so mean. i got the cab instead of the coupe.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 AM
WFO_Racer will become famous soon enough
Always thought it was funny with these pop -up wings that go up at 75mph that any Leo sitting on the john reads the forum and next day begins to pull guys over merely because the wing is in the ticket me position. For that reason alone I would select a different type wing.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 AM
OneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WFO_Racer
Always thought it was funny with these pop -up wings that go up at 75mph that any Leo sitting on the john reads the forum and next day begins to pull guys over merely because the wing is in the ticket me position. For that reason alone I would select a different type wing.
Going to be interesting when you show him the wing can be deployed while stopped.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible to Delete Wing from 997 Turbo?