997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dead battery; key stuck in ignition; trickle charger not charging

Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Rodbuster is on a distinguished road
You will have to get the red terminal out in the fuse box. If you can get it to slide out, you can hook up the positive terminal of a battery charger to the red fuse box terminal, and hook the black terminal from the battery charger to the chrome colored latch on the door jamb. Give it a little time, and you should be able to pop the front trunk lid with the remote button on the key. You will have to use a battery charger that puts out about 4 to 6 amps. For some reason, attempting to charge the battery with the trickle charger, plugged into the cigerette lighter in the console, does not work. Anymore when I don't drive my 911 for more than 2 or 3 days, I plug in the charger.

Last edited by Rodbuster; 11-15-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
stop. we're goignt o make this very simple.
put some boots on, get some chewing tobacco

get into your garage, and PUSH START the car.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
How many days was the car not driven w/o the trickle charger not plugged in? Curious as I typically have mine sit for 1-2 weeks.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
stop. we're goignt o make this very simple.
put some boots on, get some chewing tobacco

get into your garage, and PUSH START the car.
Maybe years ago but you got warnings on your chewing tabacco and from Porsche:
Do not try to start the car by pushing or towing.
Damage to the catalytic converters and
other components of the car may result.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
my starter has been broken for the past 10 days. ive been waiting for a new starter to come in. It came in yesterday.
i have been push starting my car (Luckily i park on a steep incline). the car is completely fine. i dont have cats though...

Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
For what it's worth, and certainly not recommending - I had overseas travel last year that extended much longer than I thought and my 997.1 C4S sat in my garage for 6 weeks without trickle charger. I'd say avg ambient temp was 60-70 degrees in day and maybe 50 at night

Thought I'd have this same dead car scenario but upon return, one turn of key started right up almost like normal. I could tell crank was bit lower power but still fairly strong/normal start

Car was about 2yrs old, battery fully charged before I left.

Originally Posted by eurotom
How many days was the car not driven w/o the trickle charger not plugged in? Curious as I typically have mine sit for 1-2 weeks.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:45 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
my starter has been broken for the past 10 days. ive been waiting for a new starter to come in. It came in yesterday.
i have been push starting my car (Luckily i park on a steep incline). the car is completely fine. i dont have cats though...
That's probably why they say "may" and not "will".

Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
FSU-997TT is on a distinguished road
When you do get a replacement battery....get the one from Walmart, not another P battery. I was able to quit using the trickle charger and have let the car sit for up to 3 weeks at a time and have not had any battery issues since getting the Walmart battery a couple of years ago....

Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John in Norcal
I've had enough of these tests ..no fun at all. I've owned 10 P-cars in my life and seem to have problems with the damn battery in all of them.
Yep. Have also owned a few myself now and they all love eating batteries.
Just imagine if and when the day finally comes when they'll be running on them. I think that'll have to be the day i say goodbye Porschey.

Looking at this problem closely i stand by my theory the fans are definitely a key contributor to the batteries giving out early and particularly on TT where they can often kick on and off for hours after you've left your car. If you park your car in a garage or any confined space the fans will work much harder again. When i get home i now just pop my engine lid open and let all that heat rise out, closing it later on in the evening. Often i put the trickle on it overnight as well just to boost her incase the lid light sucks some power out if it's been left open for too long...even though the light does appear to turn off at one stage on its own. Since my last years disaster i decided enough is enough!!! So i asked Porsche what's the story and they said get a trickle charger and it'll be the best investment you can make to keep your battery alive particularly if you go away a lot. They said with the trickle you can get 3 to 4 years. I recently came back from my last trip which was over 2 months and she started first turn of the key. Very refreshing! So trickle gets the big tick from me. Funny thing my wifes BM never has any battery issues no matter how long we go away. Same thing with my Toyota 4WD....never a problem even after 3 months of not running. Porsches..arrrrg!!!....battery life can be a real problem especially if the hood won't open off the fuse tab.

Originally Posted by mozhacker
For what it's worth, and certainly not recommending - I had overseas travel last year that extended much longer than I thought and my 997.1 C4S sat in my garage for 6 weeks without trickle charger. I'd say avg ambient temp was 60-70 degrees in day and maybe 50 at night

Thought I'd have this same dead car scenario but upon return, one turn of key started right up almost like normal. I could tell crank was bit lower power but still fairly strong/normal start

Car was about 2yrs old, battery fully charged before I left.
Lucky man! It's only a matter of time. I've also been lucky on the rare occassion (to my surprise). But dont worry, you will get a taste sooner or later....count on it. Porsches will be Porsches.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Rodbuster
You will have to get the red terminal out in the fuse box. If you can get it to slide out, you can hook up the positive terminal of a battery charger to the red fuse box terminal, and hook the black terminal from the battery charger to the chrome colored latch on the door jamb. Give it a little time, and you should be able to pop the front trunk lid with the remote button on the key. You will have to use a battery charger that puts out about 4 to 6 amps. For some reason, attempting to charge the battery with the trickle charger, plugged into the cigerette lighter in the console, does not work. Anymore when I don't drive my 911 for more than 2 or 3 days, I plug in the charger.
I will try this when I get a chance. Unfortunately, I pushed the damn red terminal all the way in. I have a battery charger but need to find a way to get the clamp to connect to the terminal that's way the heck in the back of the fuse box now. If I could get the damn thing to slide out, my problem would be solved.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eurotom
I think it was only a little over a week but I just noticed that I had my V1 on all that time and it was plugged into the socket in the passenger footwell. I now conclude that the V1 drained my battery because I've parked my car for over a week and it usually starts right away.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Rodbuster is on a distinguished road
Can you grab a hold of it with a pair of needle nose pliers? I will take a look at mine tomorrow, maybe a piece of stiff wire with a small hook bent onto the end? There has go to be a way to get it extended out, after all, it slid in, so it has to slide back out.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FSU-997TT
When you do get a replacement battery....get the one from Walmart, not another P battery. I was able to quit using the trickle charger and have let the car sit for up to 3 weeks at a time and have not had any battery issues since getting the Walmart battery a couple of years ago....
get optima red or yellow top ... quality battery

Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
Yep. Have also owned a few myself now and they all love eating batteries.
Just imagine if and when the day finally comes when they'll be running on them. I think that'll have to be the day i say goodbye Porschey.

Looking at this problem closely i stand by my theory the fans are definitely a key contributor to the batteries giving out early and particularly on TT where they can often kick on and off for hours after you've left your car. If you park your car in a garage or any confined space the fans will work much harder again. When i get home i now just pop my engine lid open and let all that heat rise out, closing it later on in the evening. Often i put the trickle on it overnight as well just to boost her incase the lid light sucks some power out if it's been left open for too long...even though the light does appear to turn off at one stage on its own. Since my last years disaster i decided enough is enough!!! So i asked Porsche what's the story and they said get a trickle charger and it'll be the best investment you can make to keep your battery alive particularly if you go away a lot. They said with the trickle you can get 3 to 4 years. I recently came back from my last trip which was over 2 months and she started first turn of the key. Very refreshing! So trickle gets the big tick from me. Funny thing my wifes BM never has any battery issues no matter how long we go away. Same thing with my Toyota 4WD....never a problem even after 3 months of not running. Porsches..arrrrg!!!....battery life can be a real problem especially if the hood won't open off the fuse tab.

Lucky man! It's only a matter of time. I've also been lucky on the rare occassion (to my surprise). But dont worry, you will get a taste sooner or later....count on it. Porsches will be Porsches.
Summer in Texas this year was hot and I do the same - open the engine hood to let the heat escape and not run the fan. You're correct that the light will eventually go off but you can expedite that happening by locking the car with the remote (arming) after you pop the hood - light goes out in about 15 minutes.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear about what you are going through. I miss the 993 cable operated and the 996 GT3 which had an emergency release handle inside the passenger door by the fender. In any event, have you tried getting something like this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=422913444

We used that on a friend's 997 Turbo and it worked. Also, as someone mentioned go with the Optima batteries.

Good luck and let us know how it gets resolved (if not already).

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead battery; key stuck in ignition; trickle charger not charging