997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Suspension & Alignment Done. Track Ready!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
New Suspension & Alignment Done. Track Ready!

So I got her back last week and had time to clean her up a bit. Excuse the droid camera phone shots . . . LOL.

We did the GMG World Challenge springs & sway bars, Tarret sway bar adjustable end links and offset camber mounts, GT3 lower control arms w/ 5mm solid shim, Rennline stud conversion, and new rotors with Hawk DTC-60 track pads. We also knocked out the Fabspeed V3 exhaust too boot!

Here is a before shot of the 4X4 truck stance with factory alignment:
Name:  IMAG0260.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  90.1 KB

After:
Name:  IMAG0304.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  133.7 KB

Before:
Name:  IMAG0259.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  130.9 KB

After:
Name:  IMAG0303.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  114.4 KB

The alignment is set at -2.5 degrees camber in the front and -2.0 camber inn the rear. The toe is set to 0 in the front and .14 toe in each side in the rear.

Shot of the side angle:
Name:  IMAG0308.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  107.6 KB

Just a nice reflective shot (added 6mm spacers at all 4 corners):
Name:  IMAG0307.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  93.7 KB

Pirelli Trofeo tires will be used for track duty:
Name:  IMAG0258.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  62.3 KB

Last edited by Doc GTO; 12-17-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
vpmick will become famous soon enoughvpmick will become famous soon enough
Doc, congrats on the suspension...car looks awesome. I would like to get your inputs and thoughts about the brake pads and tires after you have had a chance to track your car. I would be interested in any comparisons vs. other pads or tires you might have run. Good luck and I'm sure you will be very pleased with the way your car now handles.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vpmick
Doc, congrats on the suspension...car looks awesome. I would like to get your inputs and thoughts about the brake pads and tires after you have had a chance to track your car. I would be interested in any comparisons vs. other pads or tires you might have run. Good luck and I'm sure you will be very pleased with the way your car now handles.
No problem. I can tell you this on the pads, they have enough cold bite to be used on the street with confidence.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
SethW will become famous soon enough
Man, nothing teaches you about your car like the track. Enjoy!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Looks great! Nice work. Enjoy!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Stance looks damn good.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Nice, now go whoop up on some GT3's........

Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
16mm shims on the GT3 LFCA's? That's quite a lot for a turbo. The 2.5 camber setting is a good compromise for track and street although on the limit for the street tires to still wear reasonably well but did they look at the top strut mounts to get some of that neg? Going by what i was told your'e really better off taking the stock top strut mounts out, knock the studs out and turn the mounts around, refit the studs and that will get you enough adjustment from the top for 2 to 2.5 and then go easy on the shims down low for the finals.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Nice, I have a similar setup, sans the control arms, sway bar end links and spacers. I'm thinking about doing spacers next, I just don't want to have any major rubbing issues. Don't recall what my camber is set to but I think it might be a few tenths less than what you went with.

I did go with the GMG dog bones and toe links, though. I read a good bit about suspension geometry changing mid-corner with the stock setup and that coupled with the extra adjustability lead me to pull the trigger on them.

My next mod is probably going to be upgraded shifter cables.

Try to get out there while we still have cooler weather

Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Looking good!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
16mm shims on the GT3 LFCA's? That's quite a lot for a turbo. The 2.5 camber setting is a good compromise for track and street although on the limit for the street tires to still wear reasonably well but did they look at the top strut mounts to get some of that neg? Going by what i was told your'e really better off taking the stock top strut mounts out, knock the studs out and turn the mounts around, refit the studs and that will get you enough adjustment from the top for 2 to 2.5 and then go easy on the shims down low for the finals.
The shim is 1 solid 16mm (from Tarret) that goes on the end of the GT3 LCA. Once in, the baseline camber will be right at about -2 and you use the factory adjustment to get the other -.5. Worked out well. Thats how my C2S was and it worked great on the track. We will see soon!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Nice, now go whoop up on some GT3's........
That's the plan LOL, at least in theory!!!

Originally Posted by djben
Nice, I have a similar setup, sans the control arms, sway bar end links and spacers. I'm thinking about doing spacers next, I just don't want to have any major rubbing issues. Don't recall what my camber is set to but I think it might be a few tenths less than what you went with.

I did go with the GMG dog bones and toe links, though. I read a good bit about suspension geometry changing mid-corner with the stock setup and that coupled with the extra adjustability lead me to pull the trigger on them.

My next mod is probably going to be upgraded shifter cables.

Try to get out there while we still have cooler weather
The dog bones and toe links may be next but I wanted to get a few events under my belt and see how she does so far.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Doc, I think you started with just the GMG springs, right? I'm debating just GMG springs vs springs and sways so I'd be interested in your opinion about the change in "feel" with the sways added. My car is mainly a dd with rare track time.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Doc, I think you started with just the GMG springs, right? I'm debating just GMG springs vs springs and sways so I'd be interested in your opinion about the change in "feel" with the sways added. My car is mainly a dd with rare track time.
I went right to this setup over stock. My C2S was springs only. The car still rides great with the bars set to medium in the front and firm in the rear.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
The shim is 1 solid 16mm (from Tarret) that goes on the end of the GT3 LCA. Once in, the baseline camber will be right at about -2 and you use the factory adjustment to get the other -.5. Worked out well. Thats how my C2S was and it worked great on the track. We will see soon!
Don't mean to be alarmist here but the C2s and turbo are two different front ends. I had the same set up on my last c2s as what you are using now, achieved much the same way, but to do that on the turbo is not ideal due to the driveshafts....even the guys at porsche told me that and they set a lot of cars up for their own DE's. There is only so much movement in the velocity joints and at full lock and under track conditions it may be problematic. As i said, the correct way is to get more of that neg from the top so things aren't at the limit on the lower end (driveshafts). 16mm is a lot on the bottom plus you have altered the ride height as well which changes the game more again. Are you using 996 or 997 gt3 arms?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Suspension & Alignment Done. Track Ready!