997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brake bleed with SRF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Brake bleed with SRF?

Changing brake fluid out to Castrol SRF. From what I understand, this cannot be mixed with any other fluid, including what's in the clutch and ABS reservoirs.

Is the only way to bleed the clutch/ABS through a PIWIS or Durametric or is there another way to ensure that fluid is purged during the flush?

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Might want to re-think that SRF.....I track a lot along with many others...SRF is fine, work but very very expensive and others have caught up to SRF with better fluids that have much less oxygen and other additives that preserve brake seals better.

ProSpeed 683 and Motul RBF660....you won't boil these fluids, the cost much less.

Yes you have to do a complete flush of the clutch too...really flush it out good to put SRF in. With ProSpeed or Motul, yes flush all old fluid out but it will mix right in with stock fluid too.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Might want to re-think that SRF.....I track a lot along with many others...SRF is fine, work but very very expensive and others have caught up to SRF with better fluids that have much less oxygen and other additives that preserve brake seals better.

ProSpeed 683 and Motul RBF660....you won't boil these fluids, the cost much less.

Yes you have to do a complete flush of the clutch too...really flush it out good to put SRF in. With ProSpeed or Motul, yes flush all old fluid out but it will mix right in with stock fluid too.
Thanks. But I already bought the Castrol
I did some due diligence and did come across ProSpeed as well as the Endless fluid that Porsche runs in the RSR's.
Just came down to what fluid most seemed to have had the most experience with and that appeared to be SRF. I would hope that if damage to the seals was a prevalent issue, someone would have mentioned it among the numerous threads I've encountered??

As far as the flush, I have the GT2 slave conversion, so that takes the clutch out of the equation, but the small amount of fluid in the ABS reservoir is what concerns me. If this is left alone, will that fluid significantly degrade the properties of the SRF?

Found this off the Castrol website:

Castrol SRF exceeds the US Federal Standards FMVSS 116 DOT 3 and DOT 4, ISO 4925, JIS K2233 and current SAE J1703 and is miscible with all conventional brake fluids conforming to these standards. However, mixing Castrol SRF and conventional brake fluids will reduce the benefits of Castrol SRF. It is strongly recommended that conventional brake fluid be drained from the system before flushing and refilling with Castrol SRF.