997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Engine Compartment Blower Fan Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 PM
illusionist is on a distinguished road
Engine Compartment Blower Fan Failure

Can you please guide me to the location of the engine compartment blower fan relay and fuse? I checked D2 in the footwell fuse and it is good to go. So I assume there is another fuse and relay in the rear compartment?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Jonnydeep83 is on a distinguished road
i have had this issue. i believe there is another fuse box in the rear but i dont know how to get to this. btw there is some sort of tsb regarding the rear engine fan blowing the fuse. i believe they even use a slightly higher fuse than came from the factory now.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM
illusionist810 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Johnny83. This gives me some assurance that I am on the right path. Just ordered the service manual online. I'm going to take a crack at this and will post an update once I fix the issue.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:25 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
its behind the bose subwoofer....remove it and you will find the fuse

Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM
TTV6 is on a distinguished road
I got this same mesaage yesterday idk if it was because it was 98 degress and i had the ac on for about 100 miles. The car is not overheating or getting hot the message comes on and disappears.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Jonnydeep83 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TTV6
I got this same mesaage yesterday idk if it was because it was 98 degress and i had the ac on for about 100 miles. The car is not overheating or getting hot the message comes on and disappears.
I would experience the same thing. The warning was not persistent and the warning message would only come after the fan was had tried to and failed to turn on. One easy way I found to see this error as follows. After driving the car for some time turn the car off and remove the key. Then reinsert the key and turn the key to the electric on the position without starting the car (1 turn less than starting, this is the state where all of the dash icons light up on the car). If you let the car sit like this for 5-10 minutes, the car will try to turn on the rear fan and you will see the warning message regarding the fan. If the rear fan starts up then you will know all is well.

I would usually just take a quick snap of the error on the dash w/ my phone to show the dealership.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Jonnydeep83
I would experience the same thing. The warning was not persistent and the warning message would only come after the fan was had tried to and failed to turn on. One easy way I found to see this error as follows. After driving the car for some time turn the car off and remove the key. Then reinsert the key and turn the key to the electric on the position without starting the car (1 turn less than starting, this is the state where all of the dash icons light up on the car). If you let the car sit like this for 5-10 minutes, the car will try to turn on the rear fan and you will see the warning message regarding the fan. If the rear fan starts up then you will know all is well.

I would usually just take a quick snap of the error on the dash w/ my phone to show the dealership.

Hope this helps.
Now my check egine light came on to visit workshop the fan message doesnt come on anymore

Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Its the compartment blower fan, not engine, radiator etc..The light will come on, then go off after a while, but still not working

Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by thackl
Its the compartment blower fan, not engine, radiator etc..The light will come on, then go off after a while, but still not working
What light? The check engine?

Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Thank you thackl. I found the fuse below the subwoofer. For all the DIY folks, there is a topic on how to remove the engine ECU. Follow those steps and remove the rear subwoofer, carpeting below the subwoofer and the fuse is located on the right side metal panel.

There were two mini fuses, one 7.5A and one 3A. Both were blown and I replaced both. The workshop manual lists only one 15A mini fuse in the rear. So if the fuse blows again, I'm going to replace the 7.5A with a 15A fuse.

Revised notes:

Here are the steps I followed to remove the rear subwoofer. Follow it all the way until you remove the metal plates. The fuse is located below the right metal plate (the ECU is below the left metal plate): http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

See attached images, the fuse highlighted in red represents the blower fuse. The workshop manual says this must be 15A, but the car came with 7.5A. As Thackl mentioned, if this blown again, I'm going to replace it with a 15A fuse.

Does anyone know what the 5A fuse next to it (highlighted in yellow) is used for?

Overall, this is not a bad job. 20 mins max.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2013-06-03 10.23.23 AM.jpg
Views:	4709
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	248090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2013-06-03 10.22.31 AM.jpg
Views:	4650
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	248091  

Last edited by illusionist; 06-03-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 PM
You may have to use durametric or piwis to pull the error log from the ECU.

Originally Posted by TTV6
Now my check egine light came on to visit workshop the fan message doesnt come on anymore

Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by illusionist
There were two mini fuses, one 7.5A and one 3A. Both were blown and I replaced both. The workshop manual lists only one 15A mini fuse in the rear. So if the fuse blows again, I'm going to replace the 7.5A with a 15A fuse.

Best,
This is what I did. The 7.5 blew within a day and replaced with 15 and no more problems.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Aaah... I guess Porsche realized this is a routine problem and changed the fuse spec in the workshop manual after the car was produced...

I have a 3A fuse in the second holder (S2) and holder S3 is empty. The manual calls for both S2 and S3 to be empty. Do you know what the 3A fuse is used for?

It was blown and I replaced it with a 5A.....

Originally Posted by thackl
This is what I did. The 7.5 blew within a day and replaced with 15 and no more problems.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by illusionist
Aaah... I guess Porsche realized this is a routine problem and changed the fuse spec in the workshop manual after the car was produced...

I have a 3A fuse in the second holder (S2) and holder S3 is empty. The manual calls for both S2 and S3 to be empty. Do you know what the 3A fuse is used for?

It was blown and I replaced it with a 5A.....
I do not know the answer to that one... sorry

Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM
okay so the check engine was from a loose gap cap. I cleared the code and the light is gone. Only issue I still have is the compartment fan error massage. It comes on and goes rght off. My car is not overheting and the oil temperature is still the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Blower Fan Failure