997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My EVOMS EVT775 ownership thread. *Long...*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:49 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
Since this was brought up again over three years since it was originally posted and resolved, I must address this thread as I believe it continues to cast an unfair light over a company that is almost completely different now than it was when Justin (and UTPorsche) had his experience with us and created this.

As an enthusiast, automotive consumer, and EVOMS employee who joined the company about four months after this thread was originally created, Justin's description of his experience is pretty bad. He got poor customer service, a poor product that took time and money to resolve at a third part, and to top it off he paid a premium that was well beyond what he quoted or approved. There are two sides to every story (I, frankly, don't know much of ours since it was before my time), but ultimately this thread exists because Justin wanted to make his experience known to the community for one reason or another which I can respect. For our part, EVOMS refunded over $6500 which had been paid towards parts and labor to fix the oil and coolant leaks and for the misquotation of transportation costs. Per posts from Ian and Justin, that should have been the end of it, but since it's been bumped once per year for the last three years feelings must be lingering and Justin feels the need to make sure this experience continues to be a part of the reputation of Evolution Motorsports.

Over the past three years, virtually the entire organization that did Justin's car and worked with him over his project has been replaced. Everyone from the technicians, to the service/sales staff, to management that had a hand, for better or worse, in his experience are no longer with the company with the exception of Todd Zuccone. Todd still owns the company and is responsible for our tuning as he has been for 20+ years now, but the day-to-day operations are run by an entirely different crew than it was back in 2013. We even just completed to a move to a new location in Phoenix from our former shop in Tempe. Our name, our books, and our products are about the only things that carry forward through today.

Throughout all of those changes, there has been a massive cultural shift in how our customer service works with people and projects, and how those projects are executed. As the Sales and Service Manager here at EVOMS for the past year and a half, I am now responsible for any project large or small that comes through us, and so while I cannot turn back the clock to know exactly the external and internal interactions that took place that resulted in Justin's project coming out how it did, I can say that I have a much different working style than my predecessors and together with my current technicians, have given a different type of experience and results than were sometimes given in the couple of years prior to when I joined the company.

As someone who is not from wealth and has a background in technical support, engineering, and tuning rather than sales, I can say that the first difference is that I take a much more pragmatic approach to new builds and repair/update projects like this as I hate wasting money that isn't mine on things that don't get results. In an open-ended situation like Justin's or UTPorsche's where a car comes to you with an unknown problem that has to be diagnosed and repaired, that involves using my experience up front to set a reasonable expectation of cost and time to initially diagnose the problem, and lay out a road map up front for what directions we could go after that diagnosis (a repair, more diagnosis, or another direction). That process repeats until things are done, and I always seek customer approval and input before proceeding. We've gotten this far, this is the next step, it will cost this much and make your total that much. A bill should never be a mystery if work is being done. If we have a problem that we have to take a guess at to try and fix and guess wrong, I tell the customer that fact and what my thought process is, and if we're totally off base I will give them their money back or make it right.

The other end of that equation is the work being done by the shop, because the best service in the world doesn't make a difference if the product sucks. My current primary tech came to us with a background in competitive road and rally racing, fields where mechanical shortcuts and mistakes result in complete failure and details are extremely important. On modified street and track cars like most members here are using, that means i's are dotted and t's are crossed during diagnosis and assembly (for example, he religiously torques and paint marks EVERYTHING he touches, which sounds simple but by itself prevents many problems and is not as common as it could be in this industry), and he has a very low comeback rate I think as a result. If a problem does happen, either because of a labor issue or a part issue, are taken care of fairly and as quickly as we can whatever the expense.

Over the past two years, we've had an excellent diagnostic track record on solving recurring issues including those on some problem child EVT775 cars with air leak and post-cat fuel trim codes like UTPorsche went through. That car actually got purchased by someone who lives in the Phoenix area and we have a standing invitation to have him bring it by and check it for the problems we found and fixed on the other cars, but he is a restaurateur and has not had the time to take us up on it. For posterity, the problems have ended up being very odd hardware issues--y-pipe and intake plenum couplers that move slightly and cause tiny air leaks hundreds of miles after installation/repair, and exhaust leaks that only present themselves when the exhaust is at full operating temperature. One car has been good for almost a year, and the other is going on four or five months without issue.

So as I said before, I can understand why this thread was originally made, and maybe the thoughts behind why it has made an appearance every year since. But in an industry where success or failure is very closely tied to the people involved on either end of a transaction, I think that this thread has outlived its relevance due to the sweeping changes at EVOMS since its creation.

If ANYONE has any new or old concerns or issues with an EVOMS product or experience, I ask them to reach out to us to discuss it and make it right. I can be found via email at sstone@evoms.com, or at my direct line at 480-568-8736. We welcome your conversations and are here to help.

Sam Stone
Sam...yes I'm definitely still not over this even after all these years.
I feel the same basic way Cam does...as a business owner I can without a doubt say that **** can go sideways and that's generally OK...it's HOW YOU DEAL with that situation as the OWNER that you shall be judged by.
I don't wanna hash this out again. I'm just a standard issue car guy who holds a grudge I guess. As time passes maybe I'll begin to let it go. The fact that I had to deal with Matthew (he was dishonest and literally completely useless from day one) and Robert (an absolute piece of **** used car salesman type guy who reminder me of Hillary Clinton when it comes to just spewing lies to cover the truth) without a single call, email or text from the OWNER.
I own a couple businesses...when a customer is less than happy...guess what? They talk to ME. Why? Because I'm the guy in charge of the company. MY ****ing name is on the product. I have the power to prevent the kind of hate and discontent I have for EVOMS as a company.
Yes I was paid back a small portion of the total cost...as I look back I still paid WAY more than the services were worth.
Anyway...I'm not sure if I'll be over this soon...who knows.
I do know that even after all this time the fact still remains that Cam and myself got seriously raped on both of our dealings with EVOMS without even an apology.
I sold my car almost immediately after this all happened to a gentleman who I knew was gonna rip it apart a day start over so I never got a chance to actually see if things were ever fixed. After hearing about Cams experience I can only say that im betting they weren't since it seems that EVOMS is still dealing with EVT775 cars and associated issues.
Thanks for the post Sam. You sound like a well read individual. As you move forward with Evolution Motorsports I'd ask you to reflect on this and ask yourself why the owner of the company couldnt find 5 minutes to write an email or send a text. Does he really car about his customers or just the money they spend?

Last edited by triblk6spd; 07-22-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:15 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Just thought I'd spend a moment reminiscing over my good old Porsche days.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:00 PM
BachWerks is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Just thought I'd spend a moment reminiscing over my good old Porsche days.
You really mean you thought you would bring this back up just in case new people (like me) did not know evoms history?

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Well maybe that and I was just peeping thru the Marketplace and figured Id spend some time in the old 997/GT2 section.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:36 AM
austx911 will become famous soon enoughaustx911 will become famous soon enough
Damn ... and here I was thinking I had a crappy experience with Boost Logic (which I did). Pales in comparison. Thanks for bumping this back up as I was not aware of any issues with this company. It really sucks that you felt you had to sell the TT and move on. I've ridden in that car post rebuild and it is a torque monster.

Last edited by austx911; 05-12-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Is it that time already?
:::Time Passes:::

Yeah, that was some good reminiscing. Those should have been such awesome cars.

Cam

Last edited by UTPorsche; 05-12-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Confusion about reminiscing schedule
Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 AM
A beautiful nightmare....

Old 05-13-2017, 08:42 PM
austx911 will become famous soon enoughaustx911 will become famous soon enough
Sweet. Dig the wheels.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
A beautiful nightmare....
More pics pls from different angles!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 PM

Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Just a quick update. This car (my old car) had to be completely stripped by the new owner of all Evolution parts and rebuilt from the ground up with competent components and tuning. So sad. The motor was also torn down (just because) and there was a fair amount of bearing damage..I wonder if pull after pull after pull by a bunch of monkeys playing on the dyno had anything to do with it. Probably not.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:38 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Just a quick update. This car (my old car) had to be completely stripped by the new owner of all Evolution parts and rebuilt from the ground up with competent components and tuning. So sad. The motor was also torn down (just because) and there was a fair amount of bearing damage..I wonder if pull after pull after pull by a bunch of monkeys playing on the dyno had anything to do with it. Probably not.
This thread is a lesson to me for my own business of why it is very important to promptly resolve any customer complaints

At the end of the day it would have been better for the vendor to have refunded all of your money in exchange for a release and non disclosure agreement

They are lucky that you did not hire an Attorney to file a law suit for fraud. I am not sure of the laws of their State but most state's require a written estimate before auto repaid work can be done to prevent these kinds of misunderstandings

I am curious BTW - what tuning platform they claimed to have been using to have gone through 40 gallons of fuel on the dyno or about 350 miles of use?

It is a shame to see those leaks on the coolant pipe fix welds as that gives me nightmares in case I ever have to have that fix done in my car and experience the same situation

I will say this

I give great credit to this forum for not deleting your thread of sweeping this under the rug as happens for paying vendors in many other forums when tuners have bad situations

At the end of the day it is situations like this that make every rational person think twice about car modifications and ponder if it is best to just keep it stock

I thank you for taking the time to share your story although it does give me nightmares

Old 06-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
An update on our situation since I last posted here. Myself and another longtime EVOMS employee Krystle O'Connor acquired the company from Todd and his family earlier this year, continuing the change in management and culture I alluded to in the last post. There is now nobody here anymore who would have been responsible for the problems and experience Justin had.

The EVT750/775 kit and software itself was gone through about a year ago for some changes and improvements. I stand behind the hardware in the kit 100% and think it is well-designed and is well-manufactured as it has always been. I don't know the direction Justin's former car went in, but we service and update cars a few times a year that were built back in 2009-2010 and everything has withstood the test of time very well. The software was looked at and improved in certain areas, and is solid at getting these engines to safely run on pump fuel with the list of upgrades included with the kit. It's conservative on power with pump gas, as it always has been--it should do around 615-635whp and 650-665wtq depending on fuel. It's not really possible or responsible to go beyond that without race gas or ethanol. Our 100oct tune is conservative to preserve the stock engine and turbos, and we do not tune E85 since it's a really difficult fuel to stand behind on a non-flex fuel car.

To reiterate, I in no way, impartial or not, dispute that Justin had a really bad experience. But the company he had that experience with is gone in virtually every way but name. Aside from venting, and a cautious tale to consumers and other aftermarket companies on what happens in a bad situation, I'm not sure what practical purpose this thread serves anymore.

If anyone would like to discuss this or any other issues regarding Evolution Motorsports, my email is sstone@evoms.com and my desk line is 480-568-8736. I am happy to hear your situation and make amends if needed.

Sam Stone
President, Evolution Motorsports

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 06-29-2018, 09:15 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 08957

At the end of the day it is situations like this that make every rational person think twice about car modifications and ponder if it is best to just keep it stock

I thank you for taking the time to share your story although it does give me nightmares
So true. I have friends that have kits from other "big names" in the industry and the behind the scenes info about some problems that occurred can curl your nosehairs. It's not even enough to perform due diligence on a company before handing over the keys, sometimes it takes faith or voodoo or something...

Old 06-29-2018, 10:14 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
So true. I have friends that have kits from other "big names" in the industry and the behind the scenes info about some problems that occurred can curl your nosehairs. It's not even enough to perform due diligence on a company before handing over the keys, sometimes it takes faith or voodoo or something...
Cream rises to the top and those who treat people right and do the right thing stay in business without having to change the entire staff and ownership

Some of the OG's from back in the day are still hard at it in this field without any of these kind of horror stories

I would think that any decent facility would have sent a truck to pick up that customer's car and corrected all the problems and made the car with its name on it and with $22,000 of the client's money in their pocket right this way they would not be dealing with having to have this customer's dissatisfaction years later

The internet is very powerful these days and anyone in business needs to stand behind what they are doing as a company and not make excuses and blame others within their organization

I feel so badly for this man who wanted to enjoy a fast car and had to wait weeks and weeks and got $22,000 extracted from him only to have two simple repairs fail so quickly - shameful

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My EVOMS EVT775 ownership thread. *Long...*