997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Engine Oil Overfill....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jako
Thanks for the clarification. What's the difference between the crankcase drain and the oil tank drain? I thought they were same?
In the case of the Turbo engine the crankcase drain is to drain any oil that has collected in the crankcase while the oil tank drain is to drain the oil from the oil tank.

Sorry but I know the above reads like I'm just stating the obvious.

Perhaps a bit more detail would help...

While the engine is running the crankcase is kept empty of oil by the scavenge pump. This pumps oil -- eventually -- to the tank, which is a reservoir.

When the engine is shut off some oil remains in the crankcase and this is added to by oil that drips off the hardware.

So to effect a proper and complete oil drain the tank and the crankcase must be drained.

In the case of my 03 Turbo around 1 to 2 quarts comes from the crankcase the rest from the oil tank drain.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Viv
I overfilled the oil on my 997.1 by between 0.5-1.0 liters when I topped up. The gauge on the dashboard has the bar above the "max" level also lit up, meaning the level is too high. I went for an easy drive of about 50km to try "burn" off the excess oil but level remains the same on gauge, car is not smoking or any funny noises, should I be worried? Any suggestions of people been in the same situation?

Thanks
You really should not overfill these engines. if you do you should drain out the excess oil.

The reasoning is the overfill condition can result in extra oil vapor being created or more likely failing to be removed completely. This is routed to the engine to be burned but with an overfilled engine more oil vapor is routed to the engine and under hard acceleration this can lead to possibly detonation. Now of course the engine controller with the knock sensors is supposed to deal with this but the DME can only back off the ignition timing so far.

With oil vapor increasing the propensity of the engine to knock it may not be able to back the timing back far enough. Engine damage can result.

Further this vapor can collect as oil on the intake walls. When the engine is shut off this oil can run down into a cylinder if the intake valves are open or on top of the valves if they are closed.

Upon engine cranking if there is enough oil it can cause the cylinder to lock up and possibly damage the engine.

Really, you should not overfill the engine with oil. In the event you do there is some risk.

Porsche doesn't really support overfilling the engine as its oil level gage is not designed to provide you with any ability to know by how much the engine is overfilled with oil only that it is overfilled with oil.

Driving the car is not a real good way to remove this oil. The tendency would be to drive the engine hard which does two things. It whips the oil into vapor and subjects the engine to running conditions to which the addition of oil vapor may be harmful.

If one drives easy what can happen is the oil level can increase as unburned fuel and water collect in the oil and actually work to raise the oil level even higher.

Thus the only course of action that makes sense if the oil level is too high is to remove the excess oil.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Dean997TT is on a distinguished road
Angry You will not believe what happened...

So I took my 997TT for an oil change at one of the known Porsche mechanics here in South Florida. One of his mechanics starts with draining the oil, then fills the engine with new oil... sounds normal, right? Well, not even close: Upon starting the car, blinding thick smoke starts coming out of both exhausts. I immediately knew that the car was overfilled. The owner/head mechanic takes the car and drives it down the block in an attempt to show me that it was normal and the smoke will clear in seconds... it didn't. I told him it looks like it has been severely overfilled. He said he will drain the oil and refill.

Another mechanic drains the oil from the center engine area, but then I notice that he also drains oil from another outlet closer to the right side of the engine.... something the previous mechanic did not do (I did not know that in those cars there are two outlets that should be drained). So I pointed that out to the owner, whom was not happy, that his other mechanic missed draining the second outlet from oil, resulting in a serious overfill of engine oil.

Upon completing the second oil fill and staring the engine, the car was releasing the same amount of blinding smoke when the owner again drove it down the block. When he returned, you could hear oil boiling inside the muffler depots in the back!!! There was so much oil in there that oil was literally spitting out of the exhausts!

So I had to leave the car there because he will have to remove the muffler and drain out the trapped oil inside, clean the muffler and reinstall !!!! He assured me that he will take care of any other issue if any damage resulted from this dumbass stunt. Needless to say, once fixed, I will never go back there again!

Now my question is, the fact that he drove the car down the block twice with that kind of oil overfill, will that have caused damage to the turbos? Spark plugs? O2 sensors? or Cats? or anything else?

Please advise.
Thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 07:59 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dean997TT

Now my question is, the fact that he drove the car down the block twice with that kind of oil overfill, will that have caused damage to the turbos? Spark plugs? O2 sensors? or Cats? or anything else?

Please advise.
Thanks
Sounds like the first tech drained the block only, and then filled it with 8 quarts, which would result in it being 4+ quarts overflled.. The drain on the right side you reference is the oil tank.

Yeah, not good at all. With that level of overfill, I would be concerned about all of your concerns above.. problem is, some of the "issues" might not show up for a while down the road..

Oil fouling of the O2 sensors, fouled cats, etc.

Stay on them and make sure they fix it right..

Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 AM
Dean997TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saabin

Stay on them and make sure they fix it right..
I will! I am supposed to go get the car today... I will make sure I say that I will monitor the car for a while for any of the above issues, since I was advised that those problems might show up later. I am so angry that this happened!!

Old 02-08-2016, 11:56 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jako
Thanks for the clarification. What's the difference between the crankcase drain and the oil tank drain? I thought they were same?
The oil catch tank holds almost 5liters, it drains in seconds, go for the crankcase drain...

Old 02-08-2016, 04:51 PM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute
Dude,

Just drain some oil out. It's really easy to do.

Do this, loosen the drain plug until it begins to drip oil...allow it to drip into a clean flat container...roughly half a quart then tighten up drain plug. Cover container with lid and place somewhere in garage to use later.

Drive car and check oil level. It should be at half or right above it. Leave it and drive until car reaches min and add oil from the container you previously drained/saved. Done!

Thanks,
E-Gear

Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
You last 2 guys do realize that the thread is 3 years old and the only recent post that warrants a response was about a dealer completely porking away an oil change??

Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
macmann is on a distinguished road
drain the oil. not worth the headaches associated with overfilled oil such as oil in the intake, maf issues, etc...