997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Engine Oil Overfill....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Viv
Viv is on a distinguished road
Engine Oil Overfill....

I overfilled the oil on my 997.1 by between 0.5-1.0 liters when I topped up. The gauge on the dashboard has the bar above the "max" level also lit up, meaning the level is too high. I went for an easy drive of about 50km to try "burn" off the excess oil but level remains the same on gauge, car is not smoking or any funny noises, should I be worried? Any suggestions of people been in the same situation?

Thanks

Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
If you are worried why wouldn't you just drain a little oil from the car?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Probably ok, that was a huge issue in 930s. You couldd drain some out I suppose.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Viv
I overfilled the oil on my 997.1 by between 0.5-1.0 liters when I topped up. The gauge on the dashboard has the bar above the "max" level also lit up, meaning the level is too high. I went for an easy drive of about 50km to try "burn" off the excess oil but level remains the same on gauge, car is not smoking or any funny noises, should I be worried? Any suggestions of people been in the same situation?

Thanks
Drain some if you're that worried. BTW, why the need to top off? With an 8+ qt capacity, being one or two bars down isn't an issue...but if you feel compelled to top off add in .2 or .4 liter increments until you get to the full mark.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM
baziturbo will become famous soon enoughbaziturbo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Viv

Thanks
No smoke runs fine then ok; be more conservative next time; enjoy the beast

Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 PM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i would drain some...i had the same issue in my m5, overfilled then researched it, verdict was that is could be very bad to overfill so i drained a quart...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Viv

Thanks
Unless you drive 2K, You won't burn off enough oil to make any difference. Depending in how close you are to oil change interval. You may soak up 250 ml with changing the oil filter. Or you can drain the turbo drain nut, I think I read it holds about 1litre.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Drain it. You can cause issues with overfilling and the pressure caused. There isnt an engine out there that is immune from over oil unless you " fill it with oil and gas" at the same time.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jako
Unless you drive 2K, You won't burn off enough oil to make any difference. Depending in how close you are to oil change interval. You may soak up 250 ml with changing the oil filter. Or you can drain the turbo drain nut, I think I read it holds about 1litre.
No drains on the 997.1 turbo (996 turbos had drains). Best way to drain some oil is to use the crankcase drain (not the oil tank drain). You can easily drain 2 quarts or so without lifting the car. Replace 1 quart and check oil level then top off to full as needed.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the clarification. What's the difference between the crankcase drain and the oil tank drain? I thought they were same?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Jako
Thanks for the clarification. What's the difference between the crankcase drain and the oil tank drain? I thought they were same?
Explanation of procedures and pictures here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-m97-70-a.html

Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Explanation of procedures and pictures here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-m97-70-a.html

Rep to you.beat me to it.

I think we need a DIY sticky

Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM
vinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of light
Hey all,

What is proper protocol for adding oil?

My previous car (e92 m3) would tell me when a quart needed to be added. On the Turbo, I figured the same would happen, so I waited for the oil level to go down to two bars before adding a quart.

-Vin

Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by vinnycg
Hey all,

What is proper protocol for adding oil?

My previous car (e92 m3) would tell me when a quart needed to be added. On the Turbo, I figured the same would happen, so I waited for the oil level to go down to two bars before adding a quart.

-Vin
Read your owner's manual.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Rep to you.beat me to it.

I think we need a DIY sticky
Here you go.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sche-911s.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Overfill....