997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What I learned about Porsches and McLarens

Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
congrats Bob, what a beast! Great write-up, as expected.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Bob , congrats awesome write up . I love my mp4 I'm actually on my 2nd one. lol. I left and came right back to it lol . what a car.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Enjoy your new ride. She is a Beauty. I guess I would be concerned about the posted issues but drive it and enjoy it and if something happens you will have the info to deal with it better than if you were not warned.

Not everything happens to everyone, so just drive it and enjoy the ride. If you need someone to keep it exercised, PM me. I would love to jump behind the wheel and respectfully put it through its paces. LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Bobby, I have a client that's had the GT2, has a 458 and Pano TTS, and the 12C. His daily driver is the 12C and he was a pro driver. That should say something about the McLaren. It's definitely a contender and game changer for this caliber of vehicles. Congrats!!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Congrats Bob. That's an awesome car and a great write-up.

IMHO, I don't think Porsche can incorporate any radical weight savings into their current road going 911 because of the limitations they have on the engine/transaxle weight. The 911 has to be meticulously balanced front to rear and taking weight out of the car necessitates a re-balancing to get to the distribution that a particular 911 was designed for (GT3, GT2, turbo and etc.). This balance exercise extends to the tire patch ratios, PSM, ABS, PASM and etc. tuning also.

This is the major reason why each iteration of the 911 from a GT3 to a turbo to a GT2 to a GT2RS have their own very specific tuning set-up through the tires, suspension and etc. For example, in the GT3RS and GT2RS variations from their GT3 and and GT2 brethren, the weight savings and the increased wheelbase resulted in lower front end grip, which was balanced by increasing the front track by 2 inches.

Combining the above with the increased speeds of these cars, adhesion requirements, safety and etc. is the reason why I believe the 911 platform has hit its limit for a Sports Car. I believe starting with the current generation of the 911 the platform will be focused more towards a Grand Touring car with their sports car platform moving towards the Cayman / to be introduced 960 / 918 platform.

Just my two cents (or less if you factor in my actual knowledge).

Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spoiled996
Be prepared to lemon law the 12C. They have an issue with their Oil system seals...drive the car and then let it sit for a few weeks...put some cardboard down...eventually the seal which expands while driving (wont leak) contracts and starts to leak as it sits for period of time. I personally know of 5 that are being recalled under lemon law and owners bought out of the cars. Have pictures of the oil leaks too.
Second request for pictures - can you please post them here? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 512bb
Congrats Bob. That's an awesome car and a great write-up.

IMHO, I don't think Porsche can incorporate any radical weight savings into their current road going 911 because of the limitations they have on the engine/transaxle weight. The 911 has to be meticulously balanced front to rear and taking weight out of the car necessitates a re-balancing to get to the distribution that a particular 911 was designed for (GT3, GT2, turbo and etc.). This balance exercise extends to the tire patch ratios, PSM, ABS, PASM and etc. tuning also.

This is the major reason why each iteration of the 911 from a GT3 to a turbo to a GT2 to a GT2RS have their own very specific tuning set-up through the tires, suspension and etc. For example, in the GT3RS and GT2RS variations from their GT3 and and GT2 brethren, the weight savings and the increased wheelbase resulted in lower front end grip, which was balanced by increasing the front track by 2 inches.

Combining the above with the increased speeds of these cars, adhesion requirements, safety and etc. is the reason why I believe the 911 platform has hit its limit for a Sports Car. I believe starting with the current generation of the 911 the platform will be focused more towards a Grand Touring car with their sports car platform moving towards the Cayman / to be introduced 960 / 918 platform.

Just my two cents (or less if you factor in my actual knowledge).
Good points, but I would make the counter argument:

If Porsche is able to add weight with each subsequent generation, they should be able to remove weight and retune the suspension appropriately. As I posted above, the 991 GT3 is the heaviest GT3 to date. Just because they can engineer superior handling, doesn't mean they can't have a superior car if they shaved weight.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by yumaverick
Great write up! Im really looking forward to your impressions after a month of ownership. I really feel this platform has a lot of potential. I have heard a lot of bad things about the car locally, they shut her down at the exotics racing rental her in Las Vegas becuase it always breaks. Im really hoping its just there car because I would love to own one down the road. Congrats on the car bud! Enjoy her
I'm having trouble following what you said - your local exotic sports car race rentals stopped renting because the car was failing? How were they maintaining the cars?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM
spoiled996 is a jewel in the roughspoiled996 is a jewel in the roughspoiled996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bbywu
Second request for pictures - can you please post them here? Thanks.
You have a PM

Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Thank you for your response!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I'm having trouble following what you said - your local exotic sports car race rentals stopped renting because the car was failing? How were they maintaining the cars?
Yes exoticsracing.com/ our local exotic car rental for track usage shut down the mclaren for a significant amount of the summer because it kept breaking. They maintain them very well its a multi-million $ company. Not saying yours will break, but stating what I've heard thats why I put im interested in your feedback after a month of driving her hard.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Personally, I think you'll miss the gt2!
But, GL with the new ride!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Personally, I think you'll miss the gt2!
But, GL with the new ride!
I already do - but circumstances out of my control have left me with a lot of difficulties with a heavy clutch and increased difficulty rev matching. The things I loved most about my GT2 - the heaviness of the clutch, the precision of the brake pedal modulation, have become more laborious. I am sad to let the GT2 go.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
WOW!!! whatever with the GT2!!! you have a MP4-12C!!! what a car!!!! i hope you enjoy it!!!

By the way i trade my 997TT for a Gallardo and i don't miss my 997TT at all..... The 997TT is a great and really fast car but the Gallardo is more me...

Last edited by LeoLambo; 08-19-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Better to have loved and lost........Now you get to enjoy two of the best sports cars out there. No matter how you slice it. Enjoy!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What I learned about Porsches and McLarens