997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What I learned about Porsches and McLarens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spoiled996
Be prepared to lemon law the 12C. They have an issue with their Oil system seals...drive the car and then let it sit for a few weeks...put some cardboard down...eventually the seal which expands while driving (wont leak) contracts and starts to leak as it sits for period of time. I personally know of 2 that are being recalled under lemon law and owners bought out of the cars. Have pictures of the oil leaks too.
Well, it is a British car. As they used to say about the great Rolls Royce Merlin engine in the P-51 Mustang - The only way to know there's oil in it is that there's oil under it.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
I've never owned GT2, though every day I wish I could afford it, I wished I could afford it when I bought my 997T.

12C is next generation of sport car compared to GT2, but given the choice I would buy GT2 over 12C. It is manual, for starters. It is proven reliable. It has enough power and handling and feel to last a long long time. I cannot see what else is there to wish for (maybe a manual GT3 instead, downgrading in poke but upgrading is handling and feel)....

I guess it feels different once one had that car for some time and looks for a change, probably even lack of manual transmission does not stop at that point.

Congratulations on 12C!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Have not been on this forum much lately, so when I saw this thread by you I got very excited and read the whole thing. Many congrats to you and thanks for that great write up. I have owned my GT2 for 3 years and have it slightly modded to perfection for my likes, but I have been looking and flirting with the idea of selling my car for a MP4 for about 6 months now. Just recently I have confirmed that I would do so when the market was a little better. The GT2 market has improved lately but all the sudden there are several on the market now, so bad time to sell. The MP4's are going for amazing deals with just a few thousand miles on them.
GT2 has been great as you mentioned and there are no complaints about it. I may even end up regretting the move. The MP4 has been getting my attention for some time, and I drove one once at the Vegas track for exotics racing. The seating position and how small the car felt around me was such a plus compared to the 458 and Scud I drove that day. It was also the instructors favorite car, and the lamebo's are what kept breaking down.

Post some pics!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Congratulations on purchase Bob. Awesome write up, I can't wait to see a few pictures of this beast.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the comments, positive and otherwise. All opinions are welcome - and pics are on the way.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
What color did you get?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Bob, congrats and enjoy the GREAT car! I am jealous.

Mid engine and lighter weight are ultimate goals of sports cars - there is no denying that; why I am forever scheming about adding Cayman and Boxster, "for my wife" .

Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
I love the mc larens....but my dealer always recommends the 458

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121118-02359.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	272915  
Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM
saceone is on a distinguished road
first post on 6so and I wanted to say great write up and congrats, that's an incredible car!

Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Congrats Bob. The MP4 is a beautiful car. I can't wait to read your narratives about the differences between the MP4 and the GT2. Sorry to hear about the reason behind the necessity for the move but you're getting into one helluva car. I implore you to keep up your activity on the this section of 6Speed as your knowledge about Porsches & the advice & help given to many members is irreplaceable.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thank you. I'm going to keep this thread going with updates. I bought the car used, so it's has already survived the initial shakedown. McLaren service intervals are a little bit of a mystery but I'll keep this thread up to date.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
HDR photo:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MP4-12c.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	273042  
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Bob, she is a pure-bred Arabian horse if you know what I mean,
congrats

Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Did you also consider the 458 Italia? Does the Mclaren raise the pulse as much as the 997 GT2 during road therapy sessions?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Did you also consider the 458 Italia? Does the Mclaren raise the pulse as much as the 997 GT2 during road therapy sessions?
I did consider the 458. As a daily driver, however, I felt the 12C had more to offer. I thought overall visibility, suspension on Wisconsin roads, and performance combined with a price tag <$200K made it a more affordable, superior performing choice.

I like your phrase "road therapy." I'll have a better sense over the next several weeks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What I learned about Porsches and McLarens