997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What I learned about Porsches and McLarens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Yep....

Old 07-30-2014, 09:17 PM
997.2 TTS will become famous soon enough
The difference in reliability and ownership cost between a Porsche and McLaren are significant. You can use a GT2, GT3 and/or TTS as a 20k mile a year DD for well over a 100k miles for very little cost, other than routine service. I do not see you being able to do that with a McLaren.

Last edited by 997.2 TTS; 07-30-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Thumbs up

Tks for sharing such remarkable write up!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
At one year's time these are the things I have learned about what the 12C does well.

It is a easy daily driver with a relatively complaint suspension that handles daily driving in Wisconsin pot hole filled roads easily. The seats and driving positions are very comfortable. The road feel does not break your back. The forward visualization is excellent. Road feel through the steering is excellent, you can feel nearly every crack in the asphalt. Transmission is very quick on the upshifts. Front trunk is as large if not larger than on my old GT2. Long trips are not hard on the body...this is a very comfortable car.

Things that McLaren needs work on: Although the technology is really great in this car, there are quirks that a manufacturer like Porsche would have caught through years of manufacturing. For example, the turn signal on my car no longer shuts off after left turns. It needs to be replaced. IRIS2.0 still has multiple software bugs, and the radio skips periodically. After heavy promises of a top rate audio system, the Android based system still is buggy. Tail lights fog - covered under warranty, and also known to happen with 997.2 LED tails - irritating. For a F1 champ like McLaren, you'd think waterproofing exterior electronics would be second nature. A/C - poorly calibrated and does not cool enough. Speaking of which, the LED display on the A/C unit is so dim, it can only be read when its dark. Which I guess is the norm when you live in a country so cloud covered as the UK, but in the US, it's rendered useless. Sticking electronic e-brake.

After one year's time, I think McLaren has really made this a phenomenal driver's car. They did nearly everything right to make the car an exception driving experience that can be easily used every day. It's exhaust note, shape, and daily drivability rivals my previous 997TT. It attracts a lot of attention (not always a good thing) and sounds far better than any Porsche that I've owned. However, the simple things that go into car manufacturing - the turn signal, the tail light, are things that an experienced manufacturer would never have let out of the factory. Thankfully, this car is still under warranty.

Which gets to my next point - the cost of ownership. While not exceedingly high, there are so few places to get information, that DIY'ing is difficult. Which forces owners to go to dealers for service. Average service costs range from $1000-1500 for yearly service. It's a little outrageous, considering I've changed the brake fluid, rotors, pads, oil, filter, transmission fluid on every Porsche I've ever owned. Hopefully as time goes on, more owners (especially second hand owners out of warranty) will learn to do things for themselves and more info comes about.

My closest dealer is about 2 hours away in Lake Forest. Although I consider their service department to be top notch, it is a little painful to find time to get down there when a warranty problem needs work, and parts need to be shipped from the UK.

As I approach the end of my warranty, I have to consider owning the car and taking some risks on cost of replacement parts with very few aftermarket choices, versus finding a new vehicle. I hear rumors that McLaren will offer a warranty extension at a cost to appease those owners who are a little disappointed that the 12C is no longer in production. As a parting gift, a recent software upgrade has provided additional active aero modifications, improved throttle and idle, and a few other features. I don't know of any other manufacture that provides these upgrades for free. Porsche can't even admit their coolant pipes unglue themselves.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Thank you.

Regarding the lack of the LSD have you encountered this:
With my '06 SRT-8 before an LSD was standard ('09 iirc), uneven surfaces such as pulling out of a driveway onto a street, would cause one wheel to slip and without the LSD, the Traction Control would engage. Therefore owners would drive with the TC partially off.

Accelerating with (slightly) compromised road surface grip. If "out of the groove" at the dragstrip, or an area that was more damp on one side vs. the other, one tire would give up grip and spin (and increase spinning with throttle application) while the other tire didn't receive the torque transfer.

Have you noticed anything like that? Very curious. Thank you in advance.
When I pull out of a steep turn, with the steering fully turned and locked, the only thing I notice is Ackerman clicking as the tire skips in the front.

I have never noticed any slip even coming out of a corner at speed, provided my tires are at operating temperature.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by 997.2 TTS
The difference in reliability and ownership cost between a Porsche and McLaren are significant. You can use a GT2, GT3 and/or TTS as a 20k mile a year DD for well over a 100k miles for very little cost, other than routine service. I do not see you being able to do that with a McLaren.
Seeing as there aren't any 100K MP4-12Cs, I'm not sure you can make that argument. I use my MP4-12C as much as a daily driver as I did my GT2, 997TT and 996GT3. I have owned all three in addition to my 12C, so I think I am in a position to give a pretty good evaluation. The 12C rivals any 911 as a daily driver. With the exception of AWD which makes the car a safer winter driver, in any part of the country outside of the snow belt, the 12C can be driven all year long. Long trips across the country, to the grocery store, to the office. No problem. Better ground clearance than my GT2 and GT3, much easier on the tailbone, and more trunk space.

When more vehicles are purchased out of warranty, more DIYs and aftermarket components will likely be available. I doubt reliability plays as much as a role as you elude to - Porsche's engines and body parts have been around much longer and there are far more aftermarket choices for repair than on the 12C which brings down cost.

I don't see the 12C's engine and transmission (which is being used on the 12C, 650S, P1, and upcoming P13) having plastic coolant pipes coming unglued, RMS failures, IMS failures, 2nd gear pop outs. The car just hasn't been around long enough to make a claim of long term reliability one way or the other.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
When I pull out of a steep turn, with the steering fully turned and locked, the only thing I notice is Ackerman clicking as the tire skips in the front.

I have never noticed any slip even coming out of a corner at speed, provided my tires are at operating temperature.
Not to belabor the point, but any observations on damp/wet surfaces? Just curious.

Thanks again for the details.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:16 PM
4flynlow is on a distinguished road
Bob, the MP12C is an awesome car. It is great to see your fair evaluation of the pros and cons. If money was no object I would choose the P1 over anything else. I have always been a fan of the prancing horse but, miles and useage beyond minimal kill the value. Never could imagine having a Supercar and not being able to drive it for fear of rapid devaluation.