997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2 style plastic spoiler lip for 997TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Greasy
I was too cheap to have the yellowing clear bra removed from the bumper and replaced, hence the off color. Leave it to the discerning eyes of 6speed members to spot it right away.

The badge is one of those deals where you bought it and might as well put it on 'cause what else can you do with it?. If I get tired of it or more people tell me my car is not a Ferrari then I'll remove it, lol.
If there were no other badge on the front end, I'd say leave the big one...but the real badge is on the hood and the lower one is really distracting. Put it on your desk.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
Got mine done yesterday and a couple pics. Process...Scuffed with 320-400 grit. 3 coats of Plastic Adhesion Promoter (wet coats..10 minutes between coats). 3 light coats of black Sand-able Primer. Scuffed wet with 600 grit. Wiped with Prep-all cleaner and tack cloth....Basalt Black Metallic base coat...One heavy coat covered due to black primer!...2 heavy wet (no runs! ) coats of clear....Came out pretty good IMO. The fit is good, but I plan on pulling bumper cover off soon to get it perfectly aligned and fitted where the spoiler meets bumper apron.

DC
Awesome finishing job. Hardly seems worthy! Where did you get the Basalt paint? I have the same color. Looking to refinish mine after stripping off the plasti dip.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Awesome finishing job. Hardly seems worthy! Where did you get the Basalt paint? I have the same color. Looking to refinish mine after stripping off the plasti dip.
Hi There....Thanks! You can order the paint to match from automotivetouchup.com out of New Orleans. You can get it ready to spray with a compressor, but lately I have ordered it in aerosol cans and they have a great nozzle for good spraying....They also sell the adhesion promoter and clear coat. I think your paint code is C9Z, but you can look that up on their site as well. 1 can is plenty of color for this job and only $19.95 for a 12 oz aerosol version and the clear is only $7.95 can too...very reasonable.

Good luck...
DC

Last edited by therock88; 07-20-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 AM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I finally did mine today, with several coats of Plastidip and Glossifier. I also installed black Rennline grilles and Hoen LED city lights. It also already had a custom silver plated crest, clear corners, and FVD spacers.

The job took me a long time as I've never done the front bumper R&R on one of these before, and I took the time to clean and inspect everything along the way. There was tons of debris in the radiators so that was a PITA.

Another spectacular SoCal weekend, and damn, I love this car!

Porsche 997.1 Turbo grilles, led corner light, and GT2/Aerokit clone front lip spoiler. by cjcam, on Flickr

2009 911 Turbo on Mulholland by cjcam, on Flickr

Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
Hi There....Thanks! You can order the paint to match from automotivetouchup.com out of New Orleans. You can get it ready to spray with a compressor, but lately I have ordered it in aerosol cans and they have a great nozzle for good spraying....They also sell the adhesion promoter and clear coat. I think your paint code is C9Z, but you can look that up on their site as well. 1 can is plenty of color for this job and only $19.95 for a 12 oz aerosol version and the clear is only $7.95 can too...very reasonable.

Good luck...
DC
Thanks very much for the tips. $40 to do it right or $20 to do it with plasti dip and have it come off in a month! You were a bit overkill, but I'm sure it was rewarding to do! I figure sand lightly, hit it with the plastic adhesion stuff, then paint it with basalt, then a couple coats of clear. Should really turn out awesome, with minimal effort. Thanks much for the reference.

Gotta say that I plasti dipped rims before and they were perfect. Using the dip for the spoiler is a mistake - there is just too much chance to brush against it and that's all it takes to ruin the finish.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Thanks very much for the tips. $40 to do it right or $20 to do it with plasti dip and have it come off in a month! You were a bit overkill, but I'm sure it was rewarding to do! I figure sand lightly, hit it with the plastic adhesion stuff, then paint it with basalt, then a couple coats of clear. Should really turn out awesome, with minimal effort. Thanks much for the reference.

Gotta say that I plasti dipped rims before and they were perfect. Using the dip for the spoiler is a mistake - there is just too much chance to brush against it and that's all it takes to ruin the finish.
Yep...you are welcome. And your process should look fine.

DC

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
Forget plasti dip. It won't last. Use John Deere Blitz Black like others who get rough and tough off road. Comes in a spray can and won't peel off when you scrape your lip again (which you will)

Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 PM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
Too late

Was watching the aero-lip on E-bay as I don't need one now.
Price was $200 about 10 days ago, then it was $250 2 days ago.
Same part,same guy,$500
Guess he was selling a few.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM
brent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by farfel
Was watching the aero-lip on E-bay as I don't need one now.
Price was $200 about 10 days ago, then it was $250 2 days ago.
Same part,same guy,$500
Guess he was selling a few.
$500 is reasonable honestly. About a 40% discount from oem for 90% of the quality. Fortunately I bought a spare at $200.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I was lucky to have bought 2 of them in February when the price was at $149.
$500 is a pretty hefty mark-up.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
at 500 I think I would just buy a real one for 900.

there are imperfections in this knock off, especially on the sides.

that and, after having the lip on the car for at
least a few months now and having never scrapped once, I think it's fine.

looks wise, the car doesn't look derp anymore

Sent from my iPhone5 using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Ryane8182 has a spectacular aura aboutRyane8182 has a spectacular aura aboutRyane8182 has a spectacular aura about
Really $500 now common.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
No way it's worth $500.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Guy sold at LEAST a hundred of them. Mine had finish issues. No big surprise. Will be painting it. Possible he's run out of them.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Bummer. I was about to get another as a spare at $200.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 style plastic spoiler lip for 997TT?