997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coil Change

Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
40TO60N1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by therock88
OK....Figured I better try to knock out a DIY soon, before I started forgetting

So I spent a great deal of time trying to illustrate and use photos and text to guide anyone that wants to try it.

CAVEAT : This is how I DID IT...and it worked. If you have a better way...Knock yourself out...This is in the spirit of helping others, not to debate the best way or what I did different or wrong.....

Too big for me to upload here apparently... About 4.5 MB .pdf, so get it here:

997.1 TT Spark Plug Change DIY HERE: How to change 997.1 TT Plugs and Coils

Hope this helps!

DC

WOW!!! Your document makes me just want to go out, get the tools and start working on the car again. (Sadly, the weekend is always with the little one.) Thank you.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 40TO60N1
WOW!!! Your document makes me just want to go out, get the tools and start working on the car again. (Sadly, the weekend is always with the little one.) Thank you.
Inspiring!

DC

Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Iceyankee-Tsi is on a distinguished road
The Rock:

Seriously. Thank you for spending time doing this to share with us. This is very good information and it may not be very easy but it shows that it can be done taking your time and being careful. It will save a few precious dollars, you spend quality time with your car, learn a little bit more from it and get the well deserved bragging rights. I did it successfully before in my 996tt and would definitely consider doing it on my 997tt when the time arrives. :-)

Old 02-11-2014, 05:29 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Iceyankee-Tsi
The Rock:

Seriously. Thank you for spending time doing this to share with us. This is very good information and it may not be very easy but it shows that it can be done taking your time and being careful. It will save a few precious dollars, you spend quality time with your car, learn a little bit more from it and get the well deserved bragging rights. I did it successfully before in my 996tt and would definitely consider doing it on my 997tt when the time arrives. :-)
You bet! Glad it is helpful........From what I understand, the 997TT is considerably more difficult than the 996TT.....but definitely doable....

DC

Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome write-up. I will print this out and use it when it gets warmer to tackle this job..

Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Link doesn't work for me. Dropbox or something along those lines would be a good option.

EDIT: Got it finally. Seems to just time out a lot. Keep refreshing/trying if it doesn't work for you.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by saabin
Awesome write-up. I will print this out and use it when it gets warmer to tackle this job..
Thanks! And good luck. I too would love some warmer weather! When I did this (Sunday) I think it was about 0 degrees and the high was 9.....Had a heater running in the garage and got it up to a toasty 58....Until my wife or kids would open a door

DC

Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
thanks for the write up DC, rep for you !
i need to do this. my car is running like poop. havent changed my plugs in almost a year now, and ive put 20k miles on her..

on a tuned car, we need to be changing plugs no later than 12k miles (thats what the interval on the gt2 is, which runs higher boost than a stock 997).

im so disapointed in myself. my car has been covered in snow since last sunday, and ive been too lazy to shovel it off... not its all turned to ice and my driveway has 2 foot of snow from people shoveling theirs onto mine..

its all ice. cant move it.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the write up!

Definately a great thing for those that like to do as much DIY as possible and save some $$ at the same time.

Not to mention it is a great way to get to "know your car"

Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
thanks for the write up DC, rep for you !
i need to do this. my car is running like poop. havent changed my plugs in almost a year now, and ive put 20k miles on her..

on a tuned car, we need to be changing plugs no later than 12k miles (thats what the interval on the gt2 is, which runs higher boost than a stock 997).

im so disapointed in myself. my car has been covered in snow since last sunday, and ive been too lazy to shovel it off... not its all turned to ice and my driveway has 2 foot of snow from people shoveling theirs onto mine..

its all ice. cant move it.
Yes! It has been a sucky winter at best. Mine is inside on the lift at least, along with my wife's Boxster S....They have both been sitting inside for months now! Keep them both on trickle chargers and start them and move them back and forth a little every few weeks...But cannot wait to actually drive them again. (Assuming mine runs after the plug change )....

Looks like above 0 today and maybe above freezing finally next week!

Take care...

DC

Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by therock88
Yes! It has been a sucky winter at best. Mine is inside on the lift at least, along with my wife's Boxster S....They have both been sitting inside for months now! Keep them both on trickle chargers and start them and move them back and forth a little every few weeks...But cannot wait to actually drive them again. (Assuming mine runs after the plug change )....

Looks like above 0 today and maybe above freezing finally next week!

Take care...

DC
thanks for the DIY, will try to swap plugs and do exhaust at the same time.

On the weather, I DD my turbo in Sweden, just get a proper set of tires for the temperature where you live!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
thanks for the DIY, will try to swap plugs and do exhaust at the same time.

On the weather, I DD my turbo in Sweden, just get a proper set of tires for the temperature where you live!
You are welcome! Good luck on the upgrades...I actually did my new headers while I was at it, and by disconnecting the Turbo flange, made it easier to move around....

On the weather...While not the same as driving a 997 TT or Boxster S, I have the Cayenne and the X5 for the winters

Take care,
DC

Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Just posted this in the Sticky - 997 DIY thread too, so we can find it if/when this thread falls off

DC

Old 02-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Mikkofin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the DIY! Taking up this task in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Hi there Rock, great info. FYI. It's not a great idea to fire up the car for short periods of time. There isn't enough time to get the oil to operating temperature thus you maybe introducing moisture in your crankcase.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coil Change