997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Champion modded 997 Turbo S PDK at Drag Strip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=Tom@Champion;4064784]He didn't lift...the 60' was 1.4 sec. He lost a bit in the top end because of a silly vacuum leak, but that's all fixed up now. [QUOTE]
Tom,
Where was the vacuum leak and how did you guys determine it had one?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Tom,
Where was the vacuum leak and how did you guys determine it had one?
Thanks
Nope...but we did find another issue which was fixed. The car has since been delivered to the owner up in NY. I think he's taken to the track once and only did a couple passes. I believe his times were 10.02, 10.04, and 10.04. Pretty consistent..and almost there.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Trap speed?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by webcarconnection
Trap speed?
It was between 136-138 on different runs.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Thanks, so the highest whp that you seen on .2 is what? The fuel system can suppourt 650+ whp?

Other thing is that your stock turbo 9sec packg. did 135 with around 570whp, right?

Did I missing something here? this set up with 68mm turbos traping around 138

Last edited by webcarconnection; 04-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Thanks, so the highest whp that you seen on .2 is what? The fuel system can suppourt 650+ whp?
As another 7.2 owner, I'm curious about this as well. I saw another thread which Tom@Champion participated in where I believe their investigations found that the interior engine parts (if I remember it was primarily the rods?) were not as strong in the 7.2 DFIs vs the 7.1 Mezgers.

Not sure if that's the reason or not but I have yet to see a high horsepower package from the leading tuners for the 7.2 cars. Most seem to stop around 700-750bhp (not whp).

It's not clear to me whether the limitation is fuel system, PDK, or the engine. But some comments from Champion lead me to believe it's engine. But maybe Tom can chime in.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !

Other thing is that your stock turbo 9sec packg. did 135 with around 570whp, right?

The thing about these whp numbers being quoted...is that they are lower than what others would quote. It's gonna take nearly 700 crank HP to get a 997.2 to trap 110+ in the 1/8 mile and 135+ in the 1/4 mile at full weight. So that's where the Stg 2 file is at.

Now when I go to my airstrip event tomorrow and the event organizers ask me my car's horsepower (they write everyone's HP on their window)...just like GIAC/Champion...I'll sandbag a little on the number. Nothing wrong with that...but when my 600 HP Porsche beats down on 800 HP [insert car here], it's kinda fun

Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
The thing about these whp numbers being quoted...is that they are lower than what others would quote. It's gonna take nearly 700 crank HP to get a 997.2 to trap 110+ in the 1/8 mile and 135+ in the 1/4 mile at full weight. So that's where the Stg 2 file is at.

Now when I go to my airstrip event tomorrow and the event organizers ask me my car's horsepower (they write everyone's HP on their window)...just like GIAC/Champion...I'll sandbag a little on the number. Nothing wrong with that...but when my 600 HP Porsche beats down on 800 HP [insert car here], it's kinda fun
700HP is around 590whp... Not to much that the dyno sheet I saw that have your tune (575whp mustang dyno)

Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
700HP is around 590whp... Not to much that the dyno sheet I saw that have your tune (575whp mustang dyno)
He makes more than 590whp on race fuel, which is what he does the runs on.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Ok, but why the mistery??? How much he put??? Its the same tune that you sold or he have something custom???

If you can garranty that with the Champion ICs IPD Plenum, Catless exhaust and 100 oct race fuel my car will put 600whp on a mustang dyno I will buy it right now

Last edited by webcarconnection; 04-18-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Nothing???

Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Streetgear is on a distinguished road
Hi guys don't forget HP is really about bragging rights and not necessarily about faster 1/4 mile or acceleration times. You don't want to make more power than your chassis setup can handle effectively. I have been there and done that many times. If you are planning to modd I would suggest you data log with a PBox to insure every step of the way you are going faster and not slower...

You will notice on my signature I once owned a 670 WHP Z06. The reason I sold it was because of over modifying it and was tired of all the wheel spin and lack of traction. At 670 WHP for that chassis it was slower than my SRT 4 at 400 WHP especially from 0-60. The main reason was traction.

Last edited by Streetgear; 04-20-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Streetgear is on a distinguished road

I am not sure the chassis will handle much more than 570 WHP effectively. I have never dyno'd my Turbo S but I know with a tune and catless exhaust I have issues with getting full traction on the street. I have R888's on all 4 corners and on the street traction control kicks in regularly when I accelerate hard. When using launch control on the street I am not able to get a clean launch without the intrusive traction control kicking in. This is even with traction control off. You be the judge:

With my R888's at 32 PSI front and 38 PSI rear the best PBox time I had so far is 2.9 seconds 0-60. I can confirm that traction was the main reason. I have been wanting to drop all 4 corners to 28 PSI and try for better times but have not found the time to try. I just hate having to drive the car with a warning light on the dash about low tire pressure just to make the car accelerate as fast 0-60 as stock. But don't get me wrong from a roll the car is way faster than stock... My point just be careful about making more HP than the chassis can handle effectively. My best advice about modding is make more power find a way to plant all the new power. Once you figure that out add a bit more power but go slow.

Last edited by Streetgear; 04-20-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the advice, I also had a few high HP cars (sig.) my GTR A10 had 987whp and traction was one of the things I look all the time.

I believe this plataform is very familiar to thr GTR and can handle more than 700whp with all supporting mods.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:01 PM
kinkkink is just really nicekinkkink is just really nicekinkkink is just really nicekinkkink is just really nice
Still would love to see videos of the 997.2 TT with 68mm turbos in the quarter mile. I refuse to buy them until I see some runs

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion modded 997 Turbo S PDK at Drag Strip