997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dension Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Skullbussa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Some people want to retain OEM look.
As do I, and I'd rather not spend $2000+ either.

But I would say 50% of the posts on this forum and Rennlist talk about just how buggy the Dension product is.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Speedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud of
Here are som pictures.
Song names does not show on the pcm as you can see.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-04 18.30.19.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	355689   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-04 18.35.17.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	355690   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-04 18.35.35.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	355691  
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
wow thanks for the pictures. I guess that's
one plus for the Denison right ?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 PM
KD Tha Greta is on a distinguished road
I installed my Dension 500S-BT in my 07' 997.1 TT a few days ago. It took me a little while to figure out how to navigate thru it but once I figured it out it works great. At first I thought the unit was not that user friendly and like other posts people were saying they were having trouble getting it to work. I watched a few Youtube videos and learned how to get around it. I was tired of burning CD's and wanted my iPod in the car and this was a good solution. For $500 this solution works great, but if you want a better user interface I would go with the an aftermarket head unit with the Nav-TV kit to make it interface with the Bose system and steering wheel controls. But then you're looking at close to $2000.00.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
KD, I just noticed you are in LA. I live in Irvine. One day if it's cool with you, I'd love to check out your dension in action.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:01 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
I just got confirmation mine was delivered. Picking it up tomorrow and installing within the next couple weeks. Brought it from bumper plugs and the instructions he emailed me were pretty good. He's already clarified a few things so I hope the install will be issue free.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
On song data - there are two situations that can alleviate this - one, the latest firmware (actually several versions back) allows streaming tunes to display same as ipod...so it will show text. Two, there are settings for the source menu allowing control by ipod, or control by Gateway. If you set it wrong, for ipod control, it will not show test. IF, on the other hand, you follow the info we send (to our customers) that guide you through setup, the menu selection for the correct source will give full display of song, artist, etc on screen.

Again, so many times it's just a matter of setting it up correctly, going through the menus to select your options, and it all comes together.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM
dls911 is on a distinguished road
Dension unit

This is my first post...but I wanted to offer my experience with the Dension unit since I do reference these posts when I am making purchasing/technical decisions for my 2007 Turbo.

As of today, I am a very happy customer with the Dension unit...and would like to say that the fidelity for the blue tooth phone/audio streaming is excellent...or as excellent as a Porsche factory unit can be....since the Porsche audio system is definitely limited from a fidelity standpoint.

At first, I had a few issues with the install and unit...but that was partially because the firmware updates had not been implemented...and partially because my dealer made a mistake on the install.

About 18 Months ago, my Porsche dealer installed the Dension GW500SBT Blue Tooth unit. Initially, they did install it incorrectly...and killed my unit. However, Eric sent out a new unit UPS Red immediately....and worked with my dealer's installer to figure out where they had gone wrong with their installation.

Once it was installed...everything worked perfectly...except the blue tooth for the phone. I was getting a severe echo when I spoke to people...and was dropping calls constantly...that was very frustrating. However, this was at firmware Rev 42.

Since then, Dension has revised their firmware 10 times...they are now at 52. It was at 50 that the system began to work perfectly...with absolutely no issues. More importantly, they are continuously updating their firmware which does reflect that they are supporting their product.

No dropped calls, phone audio...perfect, Pandora audio perfect, IPOD audio...always was good.

Ironically, I was just saying to my daughter yesterday, do you remember the issues we used to have when I was testing out this system with you....now it's perfect.

Anyway, sorry to run on as I have. I would like to say that the system does work flawlessly now...and believe that anyone that purchases the blue tooth system now...will not experience the same growing pains that I experienced with this system.

They really have worked out their software issues with the updated firmware.

Last note, if I could not get the blue tooth to work in the car, I was probably not going to keep the car since it was very inconvenient to turn the radio down, put my blue tooth head set on...just to answer a call. Just too frustrating not to have this feature in a modern car.

OK..that is my take on the unit. Eric, thank you for your excellent support.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 PM
acf
Question: How "reversible" is the Dension unit? I'm all for keeping things as OE as possible. I think the thing that makes me cringe the most is tapping into the MOST fiber optic wires. Once tapped, you basically have "holes" in your wires, no?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Question: How "reversible" is the Dension unit? I'm all for keeping things as OE as possible. I think the thing that makes me cringe the most is tapping into the MOST fiber optic wires. Once tapped, you basically have "holes" in your wires, no?
No, the fiberoptic wires aren't tapped. The Dension kit comes with the same OEM fiberoptic interface harnesses that the car uses. You simply unplug the fiberoptic wires/harness from PCM, and plug them into the Dension MOST channels.

The only physical change you need to make is you do tap into the power - you can either use a quick tap to the brown power wire and ground, or you can use a pre made harness that plugs between PCM and the Porsche's harness. The harness is an extra item, a little hard to find, but it exists.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 AM
acf
Thanks for the reply bbywu. So from what you described my understanding is by going with the latter option to access power (using the pre-made harness), there is no tapping involved and it is completely reversible?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 PM
coquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of light
Hi, Jako, do you know any store that can install 500SBT in Vancouver? or you are going install yourself? please let me how it goes? as I have been thinking about getting one also.

And does anyone knows if 500S BT has already been added the hotkey function like the older unit (no Bluetooth)? I have an older dension unit and it work nicely, but no Bluetooth, so I want to get a updated one. I like hotkey function in the old unit and it is very convenient to use. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
I installed it myself. It went smoothly. The only delay was figuring out where to place the control unit. If you have some skills, it isn't hard and certainly not worth spending $300-$400(as I was quoted) to have a stereo installed do it.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:57 AM
coquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of light
Hi, Jako, do you know which store has experiences and could install it? is there a shop in North Vancouver is pretty good for Porsche? do you know that shop and are they good at it?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I had a pro shop install it for me (Gateway 500) approximately three years ago and other than the song names not showing up I've had no problems what so ever.
I usually throw an old iphone 3S in the dash and stick it on random play.

Would be nice to figure out how to display the song names but haven't honestly had the time to investigate it - or if it's possible at all.

I bought it from BumperPlugs, if I recall correctly.

On that note, @Eric (BumperPlugs), are there any discounts to current Gateway500 owners to upgrade to the new GW500SBT. And if one does upgrade, would that just involve replacing the main unit, or are we talking different wiring too?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by pureporsche; 04-21-2014 at 07:42 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Owners