997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!

Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
From reading various threads online, here, and on rennlist, I believe it has been verified that a 997.2 Turbo and Turbo S have the exact same engine and no physical differences. The change is in the software only with regards to performance.

So if you want all the options that come standard in the Turbo S, it would probably be the way to go. If you don't want those options and just the raw performance, a non-S Turbo with a software tune gets you there.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zero911
From reading various threads online, here, and on rennlist, I believe it has been verified that a 997.2 Turbo and Turbo S have the exact same engine and no physical differences. The change is in the software only with regards to performance.

So if you want all the options that come standard in the Turbo S, it would probably be the way to go. If you don't want those options and just the raw performance, a non-S Turbo with a software tune gets you there.
Zero911, you are largely correct, the stock engine internals are identical between the "non-S" and "S". There are three differences that I identified during my research though, (i) The added power (+30hp) on the "S" is achieved through different intake-valve timing and increased turbo boost pressure, (ii) the "S" gets a beefed-up version of the ultra-quick PDK and lastly (iii) the "S" gets slightly modified front-suspension geometry, giving it more precise steering feel.

The first you can achieve with a software tune, the latter two you can't (i.e., beefed up PDK and modified front-suspension) without additional hardware mods!

When I factored the above and the fact that I also get the dynamic engine mounts, Porsche’s brake-based torque-vectoring system (PTV), ceramic brakes (PCCB), and the Sport Chrono package (not to mention dynamic cornering lights and spyder CL wheels) as standard, the extra $10K for the "turbo S" seemed more like a steal than a bargain! See below for a nice caranddriver article, which addressed it all.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...turbo-s-review

Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM
997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold
Good Info, Nice read, Thanks

Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I have had 3 .1TT, two coupes and one 08 Cab all 6sp cars. When I made the decision to go to the .2 the dealer had an S and a standard TT Cab. The S was about 15k more but had more miles and less options. when I test drove the cars I could not feel the difference between the two cars on the road and I just did not think the extra 30hp was worth the extra money. So I went with the 2010TT Cab which had all the options of the S, centerlocks, PDK, sport wheel, Sport Chrono, PCCB's, dynamic lights, PTV, paint, full Natural leather and many more options. This car had a window sticker of close to 180k, so it's essentially a TTS for 2010.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Congrats Conrad on your newly acquired TT. You need an EP ASAP my friend.

She's a beauty and enjoy her in good health mate.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Being my first Porsche with CL wheels I'll be honest and say it was intimidating taking the wheels off for the first time but it really isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem. IMHO its easier and faster than taking of a standard 5 lug you just need the correct torque wrench and practice. I've swapped my CL wheels at least 6 times just trying different wheels and after the 3rd time its straight forward. I wouldn't want anyone to be discourage on buying a S due to the CL wheels. Just understand it will cost $500 more since you would more than likely need to buy a torque wrench.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by akunob
Zero911, you are largely correct, the stock engine internals are identical between the "non-S" and "S". There are three differences that I identified during my research though, (i) The added power (+30hp) on the "S" is achieved through different intake-valve timing and increased turbo boost pressure, (ii) the "S" gets a beefed-up version of the ultra-quick PDK and lastly (iii) the "S" gets slightly modified front-suspension geometry, giving it more precise steering feel.

The first you can achieve with a software tune, the latter two you can't (i.e., beefed up PDK and modified front-suspension) without additional hardware mods!

When I factored the above and the fact that I also get the dynamic engine mounts, Porsche’s brake-based torque-vectoring system (PTV), ceramic brakes (PCCB), and the Sport Chrono package (not to mention dynamic cornering lights and spyder CL wheels) as standard, the extra $10K for the "turbo S" seemed more like a steal than a bargain! See below for a nice caranddriver article, which addressed it all.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...turbo-s-review
Hmm, I had not heard about the PDK change. Good to know. I'll have to look into what they did there. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I agree on the great performance options. I was lucky to find a non S with them.

In respect to the beefed up pdk, I've never heard of that. It is possible that the pdk was beefed up on all turbos. So, I took a closer look at the c&d article. It is riddled with errors. The person that wrote didn't really know the car, so I wouldn't trust any "fact" from that article. Among the mistakes:

Overboost on the non S lasts 10 sec, wrong it lasts 20.

S comes with paddles, wrong it comes with the paddle equipped sport wheel.

S comes with its own special leather. Wrong, two tone interiors are available otherwise the interior is the same.

Dynamic engine mounts. Correct, but they are included with sport Chrono and are not a separate option.

Ride stiffens in sport plus mode. Sport plus has nothing to do with the ride, which we all know.

I downplayed the centerlocks, but they are a cool option. I just don't prefer the factory wheel, already own a set of 5 lug Champion rg5s, and really like the turbo II wheels. Even at the bargain $10k the S is, it was another $10k I didn't want to spend!

Last edited by ryem3; 03-23-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Nice.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:10 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thanks!

Were discussing the possibility that the S has a different muffler than the non-S. Could explain the difference in sound - the S seems quite a bit louder. Would add to list of "undisclosed" differences as well!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
docfink is on a distinguished road
Anyway to confirm this?

That would be one change I would consider going for. I would love to hear more of the actual engine noise, and less of the muffle.

Originally Posted by ryem3
Thanks!

Were discussing the possibility that the S has a different muffler than the non-S. Could explain the difference in sound - the S seems quite a bit louder. Would add to list of "undisclosed" differences as well!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:33 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes they are slightly different, but not worth a swap. Mostly software.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
PDK or manual?
However, there are some issues already known to many. When you shift the .2, there is a noticeable, annoying lag. I think one needs to shift predictably, anticipating the lag. Here BMW got it right and Porsche doesn't. BMW separates the shift speed and the engine response "Sport" mode in two separate controls. On the .2, shifting time improves with the Sport button, but that also increases the motor response. It would be great to minimize the shift time, without altering the throttle mapping. The improved PDK in the 991 has nicely improved response; Porsche recognized and corrected the issue.

PCM

Here I'll note one of the biggest benefits of the Porsche system is the ability to EQ different sources. Note that when you select a source and go into "Sound", the settings are specific to that source. This is excellent as one would typically EQ FM differently than iPod inputs. Also, unique to the new PCM, is an "Options" selection on the "Sound" menu. You can adjust the speed adjusted volume (turn off!), Surround (also turn off!), and the NEW "Linear" setting! Select this for the "audiophile" experience (that's what it says, I didn't make it up)! Well, quite a revelation – I couldn't believe it. .
Very insightful review as expected and thanks for the chuckle regarding the audiophile setting (you might remember I am even nuttier about audio than cars, all-out system with tube preamp and the works).

Also very interesting comparison between BMW and Porsche 997.2 Turbo PDK shift speed. You probably remember too I have 2011 M3 with PDK which I absolutely love and alternate driving with my manual 997.1 Turbo; I also drove 997.2 Turbo PDK but only for about half an hour. Don't remember the lag being significant, but... it was a short drive, unlike yours.
Is the 997.2 lag that bad and when you switch to Sports setting, does the shift speed then the same between M3 and 997.2 PDK?

Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 AM
supbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of light
Funny i'm a audiophile freak myself but overall I find the pcm .1 quality to be decent
off topic but i just love my rack of mac.....no tubes here as I find them too granny for my taste

MCintosh Rack by supralx570, on Flickr

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8592378610_12f468b291_c.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	352571  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
^^^Beautiful! You have the MX-151 too? I frequent this forum and there are quite a few Mc diehard's there: http://www.avsforum.com/f/86/ultra-h...ht-gear-20-000
Below is my system, Thiel, Krell, and Theta Casablanca III HD Surround Sound processor. Note the turntable LOL and Conrad Johnson tube pre and phono stage.

Sorry C for the thread jack, but I can't resist showing my gears .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	postroomABEE7189-1600.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	352578   Click image for larger version

Name:	postroomABEE7189-1.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	352694  

Last edited by cannga; 03-29-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!