997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Cool. Unfortunately not worth complaining about as the response time was vastly improved in the 991 pdk. Someone posted a video of a software solution, but I'm not quite convinced it is that much better and that it would be worth the cost.
I saw that thread and don't think the software is the issue (by the way the M3 DCT software upgrade is $60, not $1,500 like it is with 1016 Industries lol).

The issue is the paddle mechanism on the steering wheel. The paddle should only have to move a few millimeters at most and the pdk should shift once the paddle meets the resistence point. Right now the paddle must be pulled a full inch and the there is a delay between when the paddle meets the resistence point and when the shift is executed.

I wonder if I can port the paddle mechanism from a 991 GT3 steering wheel to my steering wheel. Hmmmmmm.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
The shift speed of the stock Porsche 997.2 PDK built by ZF and the stock BMW M3 DCT built by Getrag are fairly similar (although my M3 shifts much quicker now because I have the upgraded DCT GTS software). However the engagement is what is the big difference. Click the paddles on the M3 and you get an instant shift/feedback. With the Porsche, you pull the paddles seemingly a full inch or more and even after that there is a delay in shifting. If I want to shift the Porsche at 6,500 RPM in 2nd gear, I have to pull the paddle at 6,000. Annoying.
Very interesting (and good) comparison. I wasn't aware of these finer points - so the difference is a simple engagement point issue at the paddle?!

We have similar pair of cars - although mine is a manual Turbo and a PDK M3. I must admit I only drive the M3 in auto as I have enough shifting "labor" with the Turbo . BTW, Akrapovic in the M3, eh? Cool. Hope it doesn't cost a zillion $ like the Porsche version?

Last edited by cannga; 04-10-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I saw that thread and don't think the software is the issue (by the way the M3 DCT software upgrade is $60, not $1,500 like it is with 1016 Industries lol).

The issue is the paddle mechanism on the steering wheel. The paddle should only have to move a few millimeters at most and the pdk should shift once the paddle meets the resistence point. Right now the paddle must be pulled a full inch and the there is a delay between when the paddle meets the resistence point and when the shift is executed.

I wonder if I can port the paddle mechanism from a 991 GT3 steering wheel to my steering wheel. Hmmmmmm.
I agree completely, for a hundred or even a couple hundred, I'm in for a software upgrade. Also, since it did not seem that clear a benefit.

When you mentioned a full inch, I had to go check my paddles! It may seem like an inch, but it is really only a quarter inch . I'm thinking about it some more. The engineers at Porsche aren't stupid. The shift lag from 1 to 2 is noticeably more than from 2 to 3. I'm guessing they focused on shifts tied to the track, rather than the street. I drove a new Boxster - the PDK is noticeably faster, basically exactly what it should be. There should be a way to hot rod the timing. On the other hand, I'm a bit cautious about messing with anything tied to my very expensive transmission that harnesses over 500 hp.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Very interesting (and good) comparison. I wasn't aware of these finer points - so the difference is a simple engagement point issue at the paddle?!

We have similar pair of cars - although mine is a manual Turbo and a PDK M3. I must admit I only drive the M3 in auto as I have enough shifting "labor" with the Turbo . BTW, Akrapovic in the M3, eh? Cool. Hope it doesn't cost a zillion $ like the Porsche version?
Yeah the Akra is cheaper for the M3 which is odd because there is a lot more material (titanium) given the length it has to travel. I think its $10k for the Porsche and $7K for the M3. Porsche tax I guess.

I agree completely, for a hundred or even a couple hundred, I'm in for a software upgrade. Also, since it did not seem that clear a benefit.

When you mentioned a full inch, I had to go check my paddles! It may seem like an inch, but it is really only a quarter inch . I'm thinking about it some more. The engineers at Porsche aren't stupid. The shift lag from 1 to 2 is noticeably more than from 2 to 3. I'm guessing they focused on shifts tied to the track, rather than the street. I drove a new Boxster - the PDK is noticeably faster, basically exactly what it should be. There should be a way to hot rod the timing. On the other hand, I'm a bit cautious about messing with anything tied to my very expensive transmission that harnesses over 500 hp.
Wow I was just eyeballing the travel distance and seemed like an inch but maybe also because the paddles themselves are thick. The units in the M3 DCT are very thin and the shift is literally a movement of maybe 1 or 2 millimeters but in any case feels waaaayyyy shorter than in the Porsche. You can also feel the car shift through the fingertips. Feels so much more engaging for these reasons.

Maybe the shifting mechanism from the new 991's are shorter/better and more responsive....and can be used on our 997.2 steering wheel. That would be cool.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Wow I was just eyeballing the travel distance and seemed like an inch but maybe also because the paddles themselves are thick. The units in the M3 DCT are very thin and the shift is literally a movement of maybe 1 or 2 millimeters but in any case feels waaaayyyy shorter than in the Porsche. You can also feel the car shift through the fingertips. Feels so much more engaging for these reasons.

Maybe the shifting mechanism from the new 991's are shorter/better and more responsive....and can be used on our 997.2 steering wheel. That would be cool.
Yep, it's true. And that is at the outer edge of the paddle. Tricky with paddles since they need to be strong, you wouldn't want one to break! If you've looked, carbon ones are a fortune.
Well, the 991 shifting has nothing to do with the wheel! I'll have to read about the changes to the PDK from the .2. However, the 991 uses the exact same .2 sport wheel! Shift actuation seems to have nothing to do with the paddles. Unfortunately.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Believe it or not, because of this discussion & longboarder's comment, I started driving the M3 in PDK manual mode. And I like it! The M3 PDK auto mode was either too docile (lower sport mode), or too jerky (higher sport mode). Manual is more work but is overall a much better experience.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by cannga
Believe it or not, because of this discussion & longboarder's comment, I started driving the M3 in PDK manual mode. And I like it! The M3 PDK auto mode was either too docile (lower sport mode), or too jerky (higher sport mode). Manual is more work but is overall a much better experience.
Yes!!!!!! The whole point of the M3 engine is to rev it to the sky. Try it with an exhaust and tune (increase rev limit to 8,700rpm) it's an absolute blast.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 AM
This is old news to many, but the PASM revision to the car is huge. Or perhaps not so huge! The difference over the .1 is subtle, yet sublime. Normal is stiffer and Sport is softer. That's all it took. The porpoising of the front end is minimized and the Sport mode is useful in the twisties. Frankly, it is amazing how such a subtle change so dramatically improves the car. The car is a bit harsher in normal driving, but this will likely not be viewed negatively by most enthusiasts. I know now why there are way fewer coilover suspensions on .2 cars, there simply isn't as much need.
Again this is also very good observation. I felt the same, stock for stock PASM 2 is a huge improvement over the flawed PASM 1. For those interested, I noted the changes from 997.1 to 997.2 below.

Note also that although PASM was much improved, overall 997.2 suspension is still very much grand tourer like (nothing wrong with this; that's what it's meant to be), and still night and day removed from the razor sharp steering and cornering response of the GT2/GT3. For my taste, 997.2 would still benefit from stiffeneing and lowering.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...red-turbo.html
997.1 versus 997.2 Suspension: Going through the recent review in my favorite US car mag, Excellence Magazine, I couldn't help but notice that comments from Porsche engineers, and the changes to the 997.2 Turbo’s suspension, very much parallel the ideal of the suspension mods that a number of us have done to the first generation Turbo.
In summary, the changes are as followed:
  1. Stiffer rear spring
  2. Stiffer anti sway bar: Front bar only for cars without PTV, front AND rear for cars with PTV.
  3. Stiffer rear bushing to "control lateral movement." Although I don't know which bushing they are talking about here. Reading this one almost brings tears to my eyes. I mean, this is deep into after-market US-style modding! This has got to involve the rear toe control arm here, I think.
  4. PTV. Reduces understeer. I assume improve the rear end "rotation" into corners.
  5. PTM: More gradual change and more rear bias; in essence the car behaves more like a RWD cars in corners. Yes the word “drift” was mentioned!

Last edited by cannga; 04-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Yes!!!!!! The whole point of the M3 engine is to rev it to the sky. Try it with an exhaust and tune (increase rev limit to 8,700rpm) it's an absolute blast.
I can't change the M3 exhaust (shared car with the wife and my 997 Turbo is loud already), but yes, the musical nature, it sings! :-), of a non-Turbo exhaust is intoxicating. I didn't realize the difference between NA exhaust and Turbo exhaust is so significant until I now drive them back to back everyday.

Do you guys use the PDK "floor" gear shifter, or the steering-wheel shifter more? I seem to prefer the floor shifter; it's less confusing, at least during a turn. So glad I forced myself to use PDK manual mode vs. auto.

Last edited by cannga; 04-13-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Anyone with any other personal comments on the .2 versus .1 comparison?

Someone recently asked me if I noticed the difference PTV makes. Really very hard to describe and there could be a host of other handling differences between a .1 and .2 that account for the handling difference not associated with PTV. I would say that the .2 just feels a lot more locked in the rear when accelerating out of a corner. Of course, on the turbo, you not only get PTV - it is combined with the locking diff. Not to mention the vastly improved PASM, the .2 suspension is just significantly ahead of a .1.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I had both, back to back. The .2 out of the box, on the s at least, is vastly superior to the .1.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
How about a manual .1 vs a manual .2? still night and day?

Sent from my iPhone5 using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I had both, back to back. The .2 out of the box, on the s at least, is vastly superior to the .1.
Humm, I expected that with the S at least but what are your thoughts on the suspension? I dont mean to discredit Canga, but i find it hard to take "flawed" suspension comments when in most cases you arent going to see those issues at less than 8.5/10+'s and in a track environment, and every pro driver I have spoken to has basically said the same thing, which is basically they don't feel the need to change the setup for other than looks( not recommended but whatever) unless its a dedicated track car then you better be getting paid to drive if you are ripping it out before you are max performing your stock setup.
I am hoping in spirited driving around country roads you arent finding "live axle" like flaws...
Also seeing you have had both for the intent of the car what are your thoughts. Right there are some upgrades that change the car but on a daily basis are they needed.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:21 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The tts just felt tighter and more planted out of the box.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The tts just felt tighter and more planted out of the box.
When you went back to the 997.1 did you feel that your daily driving experience was seriously "flawed"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!