997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Nice read here. TT Surgeon - do you believe there is ~50k worth of upgrades on a turbo S vs. .1 turbo? I understand all the updates and thinks it's an amazing car, but wonder if there would be regret for moving to a car that is very similar?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Put it this way, I went from a 997.1tt 70k miles to a tts, a yr later back to another 997.1tt, I couldn't do it soon enough. The tts, while faster, was sterile, disengaging to me.
So, personally I think it's more of a lateral move going to a .2 rather than a big upgrade. No, it's not 70k better.....again, just my opinion.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PSTT07
Nice read here. TT Surgeon - do you believe there is ~50k worth of upgrades on a turbo S vs. .1 turbo? I understand all the updates and thinks it's an amazing car, but wonder if there would be regret for moving to a car that is very similar?
Really hard to quantify. My upgrade was a lot less than $50k. You can make it less with a '10. To non-Porschephiles, the cars just look the same. The reality to me is that the car is a lot different, as you can tell from my post. The suspension and handling are much improved. You no longer have the way too mushy normal mode and way too stiff sport mode - both really work well. For reference, the car is nearly a full second quicker 0-60, now at 3 seconds - the car is a LOT faster.

I chose to go with PDK to get the variety from the 6 speed car I had. The PDK does have a bit of lag and is not perfect. If I did it over again, not sure if I would take the PDK. It does have offsetting benefits though, so I really don't mind it.

Take one for a drive. Or maybe don't unless you mind parting with some hard earned cash!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:29 AM
AC911turbo will become famous soon enough
Would you go from a 2010 997.2TT to a 2008 997.1TT ?

Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AC911turbo
That's going backwards.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 PM
docfink is on a distinguished road
Hell no.

Originally Posted by AC911turbo
Why? If you prefer outdated electronics, an incompletely-realized suspension, but a more-modifiable engine, then I'd say yes. For me, read the title. 😜

Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
After some months if ownership, the newer turbo is really a dream. The ease of speed and the handling and control of the newer suspension is fantastic.

My only real gripe is the pdk response. The shift reaction time after you pull the paddles is just way too slow, especially the 1st to 2nd gear shift. You literally gain 1k rpm before the tranny shifts. I recently had a 991 loaner and the pdk is world's apart. The shift response is instantaneous and the downshift rev matching is much better. I really don't think the tranny is much different, I think it is the interface. Such a bummer, because otherwise the car is really incredible. I wish there was a simple software fix.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ryem3
After some months if ownership, the newer turbo is really a dream. The ease of speed and the handling and control of the newer suspension is fantastic.

My only real gripe is the pdk response. The shift reaction time after you pull the paddles is just way too slow, especially the 1st to 2nd gear shift. You literally gain 1k rpm before the tranny shifts. I recently had a 991 loaner and the pdk is world's apart. The shift response is instantaneous and the downshift rev matching is much better. I really don't think the tranny is much different, I think it is the interface. Such a bummer, because otherwise the car is really incredible. I wish there was a simple software fix.
I agree that it SEEMS slower, but I think we are expecting to be like BAM we press and its supposed to be in gear. Its still light years faster than a manual, but being mechanical is seems like its slow. We are conditioned to pressing a button and an instant response.

Now the newer stuff is faster but the numbers arent showing that. Or maybe it is but the ability of the auto style cars to keep boost makes up for the slower response. That is my thoughts, you cant just instantly dump 10+ psi onto a clutch and expect it to stay around.

I havent tried this in a pdk, because the one I drove I didnt think about it, but in the tip and i THINK in the pdk, the car does shift before you release the button.
But yeah i agree that you should have instant shifts for the money and R&D that went in. Maybe its possible with software, i know the tip is. But Porsche could have done that for mechanical safety reasons.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
I agree that it SEEMS slower, but I think we are expecting to be like BAM we press and its supposed to be in gear. Its still light years faster than a manual, but being mechanical is seems like its slow. We are conditioned to pressing a button and an instant response.

Now the newer stuff is faster but the numbers arent showing that. Or maybe it is but the ability of the auto style cars to keep boost makes up for the slower response. That is my thoughts, you cant just instantly dump 10+ psi onto a clutch and expect it to stay around.

I havent tried this in a pdk, because the one I drove I didnt think about it, but in the tip and i THINK in the pdk, the car does shift before you release the button.
But yeah i agree that you should have instant shifts for the money and R&D that went in. Maybe its possible with software, i know the tip is. But Porsche could have done that for mechanical safety reasons.
He's not talking about the PDK shift speed. The PDK in the 997.2 is likely the same or very similar to the PDK in the 991.

He's talking about the steering wheel paddle engagement. It is true that with the 997.2 PDK, there is a lag between when you pull the paddles to shift and when the shift takes place. As compared to the 991 where there isn't a lag. Same with the DCT Getrag units with the BMW M cars. We believe this is purely software related...so if someone can crack the 997.2 PDK tcu and address this, I think a lot of people would be interested in the upgrade.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
You really didn't even read my post did you? I NEVER mentioned a mechanical issue. I mentioned the software for the tiptronic... I said maybe Porsche did it for clutch safety. As you are dumping a ton of power at the tranny.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 PM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
just discovered this interesting thread, lots of info here.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder

He's not talking about the PDK shift speed. The PDK in the 997.2 is likely the same or very similar to the PDK in the 991.

He's talking about the steering wheel paddle engagement. It is true that with the 997.2 PDK, there is a lag between when you pull the paddles to shift and when the shift takes place. As compared to the 991 where there isn't a lag. Same with the DCT Getrag units with the BMW M cars. We believe this is purely software related...so if someone can crack the 997.2 PDK tcu and address this, I think a lot of people would be interested in the upgrade.
Precisely. You know it well. Actually the pdk SHIFTS like lightening. It's just the response if the shift paddles. Had nothing to do with slamming 500+ hp though the tranny. The car in sport plus hits really hard. Driving that darn 991, that's the way the response needs to be. You'd think it shouldn't be that hard to remap the tranny!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Precisely. You know it well. Actually the pdk SHIFTS like lightening. It's just the response if the shift paddles. Had nothing to do with slamming 500+ hp though the tranny. The car in sport plus hits really hard. Driving that darn 991, that's the way the response needs to be. You'd think it shouldn't be that hard to remap the tranny!
And what i am saying is the SAME thing. you press and its not instant. What do you think I am saying? I know that MB had the same issue on the AMG65 SL with its massive numbers. 730+ in Tq?
I also know that for the Tip GIAC has some software. So its clear it can be done. But like i said one has to ask why Porsche isnt doing it. There are a number of manufacturers that have left a bunch of driveshafts in the wake of dumping big power that fast.
Difference in those cars is that its a RWD car with a front engine mount. Porsche has the RWD axle IN the tranny. So can you have a c2 991 dump its power into it? Sure, but with the turbo you are dumping 10+ psi and 500 hp into it.
Engineering wise I am guessing its going to take some work.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Squat
And what i am saying is the SAME thing. you press and its not instant. What do you think I am saying? I know that MB had the same issue on the AMG65 SL with its massive numbers. 730+ in Tq?
I also know that for the Tip GIAC has some software. So its clear it can be done. But like i said one has to ask why Porsche isnt doing it. There are a number of manufacturers that have left a bunch of driveshafts in the wake of dumping big power that fast.
Difference in those cars is that its a RWD car with a front engine mount. Porsche has the RWD axle IN the tranny. So can you have a c2 991 dump its power into it? Sure, but with the turbo you are dumping 10+ psi and 500 hp into it.
Engineering wise I am guessing its going to take some work.
FWIW, I'm not so sure. Torque, HP and driveshafts have nothing to do with it. The '11 PDK shifts in 8 milliseconds or whatever it is. It is dumping big power in a hurry. I would have to ask, have you ever driven a .2 PDK and a 991 PDK? As Longboarder has also pointed out, this has nothing to do with shift times. In Sport Plus, it SLAMS into gear. And will do it all day long. Still doesn't help that when you shift from 1st to second, it's going to take 1000 RPM before the 8 millisecond shift occurs. It is just annoying and driving a 991 clearly illustrates it can be fixed. I'd love to write a letter to PNA and ask them why they can't fix it. Of course, I'd really love to get a response to a letter like that.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 PM
I have but no matter what I say you guys are gonna say I am not getting it right. If you think that the co located engine, tranny, dif, have nothing to do with it. No one is going to explain it so you guys will believe it.
You seem to think what you are experiencing is odd or no other car except the PDK does it.

There is a reason Porsche has it do it the way the 997 does and the 991 turbo does not, which neither of you have driven.
The only one you would listen to is a Porsche Engineer and they arent going to be here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!