997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
I have but no matter what I say you guys are gonna say I am not getting it right. If you think that the co located engine, tranny, dif, have nothing to do with it. No one is going to explain it so you guys will believe it.
You seem to think what you are experiencing is odd or no other car except the PDK does it.

There is a reason Porsche has it do it the way the 997 does and the 991 turbo does not, which neither of you have driven.
The only one you would listen to is a Porsche Engineer and they arent going to be here.
Yes it is odd because this is a dual clutch transmission, not an automatic transmission.

In the 997.2 PDK, the engineers made it "feel" like an automatic with the slow response. This was not acceptable for the new gen 991 particularly with the PDK being the only option for the GT3.

I can tell you that I have driven other single clutch (GTR's, Lambo's, F430) and dual clutch systems and the shift response in those units is lightning quick and so the engagement is much, much better compared with the 997.2.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I've gotta say you guys are not making me regret my 997.1 decision at all so far! I got an '09 so have the PCM 3. Don't really care about upgraded lighting. Steering wheel and suspension are moddable. I think (hope) I'll be content for several years!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Always good to be happy with what you've got, it's much cheaper that way!

However, don't interpret complaints about the PDK shift response time with unhappiness with the car. I think the .2 turbo is one of the best, fastest sports cars on the road. Very, very few things are faster and suffice to say that none of the competition can do what it does more comfortably. It's an incredibly refined car, much more so than the .1. And Longboarder has shown the bolt on potential, which is really phenomenal. Not sure if I would choose a manual or PDK in hindsight. The ease of incredible speed with the PDK is just really hard to beat. Just wish it manually shifted like a 991. I tell you leaving it in auto in sport mode really yields the best results. I know, I know, letting the thing shift itself is pretty weak!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 PM
997.2 TTS will become famous soon enough
I have a 2012 997.2 TTS and I find the PDK shifts in Sport and Sport+ to be lightening fast.

Last edited by 997.2 TTS; 07-28-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I am definitely rationalizing to some extent. The .2 would have been significantly more money but if I were looking for a daily-driver I would've very seriously considered one with PDK. I've driven a manual almost every day since I turned 16 (long ago), and intend to always have one or two manual cars around, but for commuting in LA, I've gotta admit rowing the stick has finally gotten old. It may be why I've found myself driving my truck a lot more often lately. I was driving my wife's MB around town last weekend - had spent almost zero time in it previously - and found that kinda nice too.

Last edited by cjcam930; 07-28-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 AM
997.2 TTS will become famous soon enough
I too love MT. I have a 1988 911 cab and 1999 Jeep Wrangler, both with MT, as well as 7 motorcycles, all with MT.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 AM
NickS is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone looked into updating the PDK software in the .2 cars? Does anyone make an aftermarket software upgrade? I know with Audi/DSG cars that there are a few companies that make software upgrades for those cars.

Coming from a 2014 Boxster S and into a 997.2 Turbo, the PDK in the Boxster S is much better in terms of responsiveness than that of the 997.2 Turbo.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:55 AM
NickS is an unknown quantity at this point
Found this........ someone DOES make PDK software upgrades.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...991-specs.html

Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thanks, you'll note I did post on that thread. The video is not that conclusive that the shifts are that much faster. When you put the car in sport plus, it shifts very quickly. Plus, the biggest delay is the 1st to 2nd shift. Most of the shifting is in the upper gears in the video, which really happen pretty quickly. With such upgrades, I would only buy them if they had a money back guarantee, which is rarely offered.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Thanks, you'll note I did post on that thread. The video is not that conclusive that the shifts are that much faster. When you put the car in sport plus, it shifts very quickly. Plus, the biggest delay is the 1st to 2nd shift. Most of the shifting is in the upper gears in the video, which really happen pretty quickly. With such upgrades, I would only buy them if they had a money back guarantee, which is rarely offered.
You can actually see in the opening of the video that there is still a long lag between when the driver pulls the shifter on the 1-2 shift and the long delay until the PDK executes the shift. And you are dead on...the shift speed of the PDK has never been the issue. I think you and I are the only ones complaining about the "shift execution lag" because we have others cars with a single or dual clutch gear box where this lag is non-existent. But someone would need to crack the TCU to fix this....hopefully there is more demand for this and someone gets a solution soon because it drives me nutz.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder

You can actually see in the opening of the video that there is still a long lag between when the driver pulls the shifter on the 1-2 shift and the long delay until the PDK executes the shift. And you are dead on...the shift speed of the PDK has never been the issue. I think you and I are the only ones complaining about the "shift execution lag" because we have others cars with a single or dual clutch gear box where this lag is non-existent. But someone would need to crack the TCU to fix this....hopefully there is more demand for this and someone gets a solution soon because it drives me nutz.
Me too! I don't think that other solution really cracked the code either and at $1600, I would need a serious money back guarantee to try it! Just like the other poster above with the Boxster; if you've driven both, you know the problem.

Just got a response back from Porsche NA that basically said trust your dealer, if they said there are no updates, there is nothing to do. I'll be calling them instead.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:10 PM
What, no foglights?
Well, the .2 has great leds as DRL's, I even get some people pulling over during the day.
But did anybody else notice that they don't work as fog lights? They stay off when the headlights are on! Bit of a bummer.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:02 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
What, no foglights?
Well, the .2 has great leds as DRL's, I even get some people pulling over during the day.
But did anybody else notice that they don't work as fog lights? They stay off when the headlights are on! Bit of a bummer.
My DRL LED's stay on with the headlights on but at a lower intensity.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:18 PM
That's odd. Mine go off completely. And the fog light switch doesn't activate them.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:20 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
That's odd. Mine go off completely. And the fog light switch doesn't activate them.
Also, no fog light switch...but I just checked again - LED's on with or without headlamps - 997.2 GTS (maybe difference between TT and non-TT??).

BTW, I also have DRL turned on - maybe that's the difference??

Last edited by jhbrennan; 09-28-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo comparison – 997.1 to 997.2 – old news but new to me!