997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

End pipes warning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 AM
swc
swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
I did use the thin ones, but didnt tighten enough on the driver side.

Will try to secure them with a steel wire to be super safe next time.
If you have NAPA auto parts store near you, they have thicker one.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Almost want to pull out the mig-welder...

Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I read this thread last week and then today had a flashback to it. I pulled out of the parking lot and heard a little burble and then all of a sudden the car got a whole lot louder. Sure glad I pulled over within a few blocks because my AWE exhaust "arm" coming from the muffler can (not just the tip) had come loose!!!!! Thankfully it was just dangling in the bumper hole so I put it inside the car and drove home with the surprisingly deafening din coming from the exhaust. I usually check the bolts at least a couple of times a year. This is the first time I've taken the car out of hibernation while it's still pretty cold outside (about -5C or around 28F, but nice and sunny). Perhaps the heat cycles were enough to cause it to wiggle loose? Damn, I know I'd rather have an exhaust that was "one-piece" rather than modular.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 PM
gatiman is on a distinguished road
I have the maxspeed dual (true dual exhaust) tips on my 997.1 turbo. I cleaned the inside edges of the mounting ends of tips and male exhaust pipe tip with denatured alcohol, dried with shop towels then used a thin bead of high temp Permatex Gasket Sealer which I smyred out around the inside of the quad tip. Aligned them equidistant from the plastic shroud in exhaust well to avoid melting it from excessive heat, then torqued the bolts to spec.

The hoop strength created from the gasket sealer should keep them from falling off. Mine have been on for over year now, with hard driving and no issues, let it sit overnight before spirited driving.

That's my "full ***" way of doing it...

Last edited by gatiman; 04-17-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gatiman
I have the maxspeed dual (true dual exhaust) tips on my 997.1 turbo. I cleaned the inside edges of the mounting ends of tips and male exhaust pipe tip with denatured alcohol, dried with shop towels then used a thin bead of high temp Permatex Gasket Sealer which I smyred out around the inside of the quad tip. Aligned them equidistant from the plastic shroud in exhaust well to avoid melting it from excessive heat, then torqued the bolts to spec.

The hoop strength created from the gasket sealer should keep them from falling off. Mine have been on for over year now, with hard driving and no issues, let it sit overnight before spirited driving.

That's my "full ***" way of doing it...
I ended up using a thicker "ring" and after some "alignment" using a sledge hammer I got them on nicely and a very tight fit. Torqued bolts and they seem pretty safe now, the tips are quite heavy and if they would fall off at highway speeds they could do some damage...

The gasket seal was a good idea, if they come loose again I'll try that.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
I had this happen a few years back with fabspeed tips. They were clamped down all the way but one still flew off. The tip was beat up bad. Fabspeed took care of it with a new pair and they are still in place..If I was you i would see if they replace the tip.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by meaker
I had this happen a few years back with fabspeed tips. They were clamped down all the way but one still flew off. The tip was beat up bad. Fabspeed took care of it with a new pair and they are still in place..If I was you i would see if they replace the tip.
Well I will mail Vividracing and see what they have to say, I used the thin ones since it was the only ones that fitted.