997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Finally Buying a 997.1 Turbo, Things to Look Out For?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:25 PM
nbrigdan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Steve_TT
Low 80's from a reputable store shouldn't be unreasonable IMO. However, turbos seem to get more expensive when people are flush with cash. I've had mine 18mos. Bought it with 58k kms and I've put on 8k and no problems (except I had to do plugs for my tune). I wouldn't be concerned with a car that avgd 10k/yr. These cars were meant to be driven.

I went straight to the Turbo. After you rocket away the first time, you'll be glad you didn't pick non-turbo. Do you plan to add mods? It's a slippery slope....
Alright, the thing is there seems to be a shortage of turbo's on the market right now for some reason... At least in my area sadly. I guess the changing economy will effect the price significantly.

That's good to know, I will for sure only put on about 10L/year, hopefully the lower miles will mean not much has worn down.

Ya that is totally my view, as far as mods I will most likely get an APR tune because as far as I am concerned for a mail-in tune they are the best in NA, I mean just look at their torque curve :O More like a wallop!

Beyond that, I'm considering upgrading ICs, and getting a new catback, maybe some HFCs, and possibly doing 997.2 style lights, but just a possibility. Oh, and wheels and tires. Thank you very much for your input!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That's hi for that car, buy mine for 78k 1 yr cpo

Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Steve_TT has a spectacular aura aboutSteve_TT has a spectacular aura about
Canada is a funny market. 2007 msrp was 170k cdn vs 120 usd. The exchange rate wasn't even that bad, but that's how they priced them. The msrp gap has been bit better in recent years.

Not a lot of selection in western canada (and with short summer coming), prices are probably staying high.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
That's hi for that car, buy mine for 78k 1 yr cpo
Is your car located in Canada? I would bring one across, but it seems to be about 21% on top of the price of the car when factoring in exchange rates and taxes

Originally Posted by Steve_TT
Canada is a funny market. 2007 msrp was 170k cdn vs 120 usd. The exchange rate wasn't even that bad, but that's how they priced them. The msrp gap has been bit better in recent years.

Not a lot of selection in western canada (and with short summer coming), prices are probably staying high.
Damn. I didn't know it was 50K difference in MSRP!!

Ya, that much is unfortunate.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
That's probably why I got my 2007 2 years ago in Montreal for 82K.
It's an american car. Guess I lucked out.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 PM
twosheds is on a distinguished road
Yeah, 10% currency exchange, 6% duty, 5% GST, plus some misc. fees, it adds up quick.

Geoff.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM
9LVN_TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twosheds
Yeah, 10% currency exchange, 6% duty, 5% GST, plus some misc. fees, it adds up quick.

Geoff.
Buying state side isn't that bad, although our dollar isn't as strong currently and to purchase a 997 with the current used market price tag will be that much more after conversion etc. I spent over 3mths searching for my car and as much as I wanted to buy in Canada, I was forced to purchase from the U.S....more options and better price, even after all of the import fees.

I picked up an '08, 2yr CPO, dealer car for $83k landed. 50K KM's, new spark plugs, new front brakes, fresh fluids, wipers, new tires etc. the dealer spent $5,800 USD before turning the car over to me and they provided the full service history report, which was key for me. I would not buy a Turbo without knowing the service history. It was also a 1 owner car, which was another deal breaker for me. I found many other Turbo's that were for sale but I could not obtain the entire service history report and therefore I had no clue what was previously done on the car etc. again, this was important to me but some may not care.

Point being, buying from a dealer even state side is not that bad. The Cdn market does not have much to offer especially if there are specific options you are after - which I did. That's not to say there aren't cars avail in Canada, simply that if you are looking for a car with the options that you really want, you may not find it here (Canada). It sounds to me that you are only willing to purchase a car within 500km's from where you live? If you expand that search to say across Canada, you have more selection. Dealers would be happy to ship the car out to you - they do this all of the time. You could also fly in and drive it home! Hope this helps.

BTW - What options are must haves for you? What is your budget on the car (if you don't mind sharing)?

I ask because I am always looking at what's out on the market and could pass along anything interesting I may find.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by 07_RS4
Buying state side isn't that bad, although our dollar isn't as strong currently and to purchase a 997 with the current used market price tag will be that much more after conversion etc. I spent over 3mths searching for my car and as much as I wanted to buy in Canada, I was forced to purchase from the U.S....more options and better price, even after all of the import fees.

I picked up an '08, 2yr CPO, dealer car for $83k landed. 50K KM's, new spark plugs, new front brakes, fresh fluids, wipers, new tires etc. the dealer spent $5,800 USD before turning the car over to me and they provided the full service history report, which was key for me. I would not buy a Turbo without knowing the service history. It was also a 1 owner car, which was another deal breaker for me. I found many other Turbo's that were for sale but I could not obtain the entire service history report and therefore I had no clue what was previously done on the car etc. again, this was important to me but some may not care.

Point being, buying from a dealer even state side is not that bad. The Cdn market does not have much to offer especially if there are specific options you are after - which I did. That's not to say there aren't cars avail in Canada, simply that if you are looking for a car with the options that you really want, you may not find it here (Canada). It sounds to me that you are only willing to purchase a car within 500km's from where you live? If you expand that search to say across Canada, you have more selection. Dealers would be happy to ship the car out to you - they do this all of the time. You could also fly in and drive it home! Hope this helps.

BTW - What options are must haves for you? What is your budget on the car (if you don't mind sharing)?

I ask because I am always looking at what's out on the market and could pass along anything interesting I may find.
Thank you very much for the reply!

I actually am willing to look across all of Canada for a car (with the exception of Quebec, because you simply cannot re-sell cars from there in AB because of the perception of road conditions). I travel to Toronto fairly often and could find myself out to Vancouver/Victoria if I was really interested.

In terms of options, all I must have is a manual transmission and sub 40,000 KMs, and preferred options would be embossed head rest, heated seats, and sport steering wheel. Budget, if I really get a good vibe from the car, I wouldn't mind spending 84-89~ but I mean as always the lower the better.

That would be great if when you saw a car you thought might be good you could pass that along, I mean I have been searching for just a great C4S for about 2 years now, but have decided a turbo is the way to go. Previously I had been going to purchase a US car, but with CAD being down ~10% compared to USD and the exchange fee being 1-2%, for a similar KM car it seems Canadian (impossibly) is almost a slightly better deal. Thanks for your interest

Edit: Only a coupe for me, also black interior!

Last edited by nbrigdan; 04-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Cab or coupe?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Cab or coupe?
Coupe, my bad for forgetting to specify that!

Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Based on your other criteria I would have guessed that it was a coupe. I will kept an eye out here, good luck with your search.

Geoff.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
What I wouldn't give for another midnite coupe....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	363141  
Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Based on your other criteria I would have guessed that it was a coupe. I will kept an eye out here, good luck with your search.

Geoff.
Thank you very much!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
9LVN_TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nbrigdan
Thank you very much for the reply!

I actually am willing to look across all of Canada for a car (with the exception of Quebec, because you simply cannot re-sell cars from there in AB because of the perception of road conditions). I travel to Toronto fairly often and could find myself out to Vancouver/Victoria if I was really interested.

In terms of options, all I must have is a manual transmission and sub 40,000 KMs, and preferred options would be embossed head rest, heated seats, and sport steering wheel. Budget, if I really get a good vibe from the car, I wouldn't mind spending 84-89~ but I mean as always the lower the better.

That would be great if when you saw a car you thought might be good you could pass that along, I mean I have been searching for just a great C4S for about 2 years now, but have decided a turbo is the way to go. Previously I had been going to purchase a US car, but with CAD being down ~10% compared to USD and the exchange fee being 1-2%, for a similar KM car it seems Canadian (impossibly) is almost a slightly better deal. Thanks for your interest

Edit: Only a coupe for me!
Here are a few I found with a quick search through Autotrader.ca:

This one looks to have several solid options and meets your mileage requirement:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...howcpo=ShowCPO

A few more KM's on this one but still worth a look:

A nice silver one in Edmonton:

Here is another black also in Edmonton:

Another nicely optioned car - rare colour:

I do know of a silver on black that was for sale by a private seller. It is fully loaded, imported from the U.S. and has around 30K KM's. If your interested in the silver/black I can try to find his contact info and pass it along to you. I almost bought his car but ended up finding the one I truly wanted.

The first link I posted above is a beauty and has all of the right options.

Last edited by 9LVN_TT; 04-20-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by 07_RS4
Here are a few I found with a quick search through Autotrader.ca:

This one looks to have several solid options and meets your mileage requirement:

A few more KM's on this one but still worth a look:

A nice silver one in Edmonton:

Here is another black also in Edmonton:

Another nicely optioned car - rare colour:

I do know of a silver on black that was for sale by a private seller. It is fully loaded, imported from the U.S. and has around 30K KM's. If your interested in the silver/black I can try to find his contact info and pass it along to you. I almost bought his car but ended up finding the one I truly wanted.

The first link I posted above is a beauty and has all of the right options.
Thank you x1000! I will be replying with my full thoughts on each as soon as possible, probably tomorrow, unfortunately I have been quite busy, but I just wanted to make sure you know I am extremely thankful for your help! (I may actually be meeting the private seller of the 5th car for a test drive in the near future )

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Buying a 997.1 Turbo, Things to Look Out For?