997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

FVD Software tune (MyGenius Tool), Techart Exhaust tips…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
FVD Software tune (MyGenius Tool), Techart Exhaust tips…

The mod list continues to grow! Following the IPD plenum and EP exhaust mods, it became apparent that the factory ECU was limiting torque output (i.e., employing logic to prevent increase in torque beyond ~ 4,500 rpm – thanks to Longboarder for the explanation). As a result, an ECU tune went from being a ‘nice to have’ to a necessity to defeat these limiting parameters in the stock ECU.

FVD software tune
I researched a few options (e.g., GIAC, Softronics, custom tuner etc) and settled on FVD Brombacher primarily for the following reasons; (1) Long tuning history with Porsche (writing Porsche software since 1983), (2) no need to remove the ECU for tuning, (3) OEM engine software safety features are left fully intact and are not disabled and (4) Ease of operation for switching between stock and tuned files/maps.

The MyGenius handheld flash tool was very easy to use (once I found a Windows laptop for the software! Not Apple Mac compatible). I’ll post more detailed driving impressions once I get more time in the car. The “pull” is incredible! Taken from FVD’s posted gains on a 997.2 Turbo, the gains on a 997.2 Turbo S would likely be;

+70 crank HP & +89 crank TQ gain
Max. Power – 441 kW (600 HP) @ 6250rpm
Max. Torque – 817 Nm (605 lb.-ft.) @ 3000-4000rpm

Thanks to Rhonda for a wonderful purchasing experience. As for those engineers in Germany, I got my FVD tuned file emailed back to me on the same day! Now that’s great turnaround.

Techart Exhaust tips
I was never really sold on the OEM exhaust tips. I came across these and thought they offered a slightly more aggressive (yet aesthetic) look to the rear providing a better visual compliment to the exhaust note. Unlike prior iterations, the second oval is functional as the exhaust outlet tube feeds both ovals. Will post pictures once mounted (I’ll be out of the country for a week and a half, can’t do much with the car right now).

The mod list grows longer, thankfully I got talked out of modified suspensions, these NJ/NY roads are so bad, I'm told lowering the car would be too risky...

FVD MyGenius handheld flash tool

Reading/Writing ECU (a breeze)!

Techart Exhaust tips

Functional ovals

Soon to be replaced stock tips

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4782_zps442b6560.jpg
Views:	2057
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	360468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4775_zps416f4dbf.jpg
Views:	1876
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	360469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4783_zps6333f1dd.jpg
Views:	2008
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	360470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4785_zps6d38ee82.jpg
Views:	2071
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	360471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4741_zpsa815713c.jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	360472  

Last edited by akunob; 04-17-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
No need to thank me, just doing my job. Keep us posted on how you like the software!

Thanks,
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
took my car in today, and reflashed to stock (using the mygenius tool) last night. Easy peasy.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
No need to thank me, just doing my job. Keep us posted on how you like the software!

Thanks,
Rhonda
Will do!

Originally Posted by Domer911
took my car in today, and reflashed to stock (using the mygenius tool) last night. Easy peasy.
The simplicity in switching between files was a huge selling point, this is similar to what I plan on doing.

Question I have is, for "routine" maintenance dealer service visits, it was my understanding that the tuned file would not necessarily be detected by the dealer service techs (as they don't typically go looking for it during a regular service), right? However if the car is being brought in due to CEL or some other "major" malfunction where one would reasonably expect the ECU to be read for diagnostic purposes, flashing back to stock was a must! Would you, others, agree?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
I am not programmer, but I also own MyGenius and it is really easy to switch between different tune files or stock file. I think, if programmer has made everything correct, there is no way that Porsche mechanic can tell do you have stock or modified soft. Only way is, if they going to a ride and see more boost via logging or better acceleration. But if your car is sitting in service and they connect Porsche computer, it can't tell is it stock or modified.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akunob
The mod list continues to grow! Following the IPD plenum and EP exhaust mods, it became apparent that the factory ECU was limiting torque output (i.e., employing logic to prevent increase in torque beyond ~ 4,500 rpm – thanks to Longboarder for the explanation). As a result, an ECU tune went from being a ‘nice to have’ to a necessity to defeat these limiting parameters in the stock ECU.

FVD software tune
I researched a few options (e.g., GIAC, Softronics, custom tuner etc) and settled on FVD Brombacher primarily for the following reasons; (1) Long tuning history with Porsche (writing Porsche software since 1983), (2) no need to remove the ECU for tuning (unfortunately this eliminated GIAC), (3) OEM engine software safety features are left fully intact and are not disabled and (4) Ease of operation for switching between stock and tuned files/maps.

The MyGenius handheld flash tool was very easy to use (once I found a Windows laptop for the software! Not Apple Mac compatible). I’ll post more detailed driving impressions once I get more time in the car. The “pull” is incredible! Taken from FVD’s posted gains on a 997.2 Turbo, the gains on a 997.2 Turbo S would likely be;

+70 crank HP & +89 crank TQ gain
Max. Power – 441 kW (600 HP) @ 6250rpm
Max. Torque – 817 Nm (605 lb.-ft.) @ 3000-4000rpm

Thanks to Rhonda for a wonderful purchasing experience. As for those engineers in Germany, I got my FVD tuned file emailed back to me on the same day! Now that’s great turnaround.

Techart Exhaust tips
I was never really sold on the OEM exhaust tips. I came across these and thought they offered a slightly more aggressive (yet aesthetic) look to the rear providing a better visual compliment to the exhaust note. Unlike prior iterations, the second oval is functional as the exhaust outlet tube feeds both ovals. Will post pictures once mounted (I’ll be out of the country for a week and a half, can’t do much with the car right now).

The mod list grows longer, thankfully I got talked out of modified suspensions, these NJ/NY roads are so bad, I'm told lowering the car would be too risky...

FVD MyGenius handheld flash tool

Reading/Writing ECU (a breeze)!

Techart Exhaust tips

Functional ovals

Soon to be replaced stock tips

For clarity of future posters who might be reading this thread. You have a 997.2 Turbo S, which we OBD2 port flash. You do NOT need to remove the ECU in order to install GIAC software for any 997.2 platform vehicles.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
For clarity of future posters who might be reading this thread. You have a 997.2 Turbo S, which we OBD2 port flash. You do NOT need to remove the ECU in order to install GIAC software for any 997.2 platform vehicles.
PM sent (thanks for the information/clarification)

Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
A few months ago I had a PDK error thrown by a defective temp sensor in the transmission and it went to safe mode; The dealership picked up the car and fixed the problem; but I also noticed when I got the car back that it upshifted like crazy, even in sport mode; the car felt sluggish and boring -- I plugged MyGenius in and tried to upload the flash again, and the device reported "Not compatible with this ECU." This was a sign that the dealership uploaded a new base file to the car. You should always check for this when you get the car back, since you have to actually re-read the car and send the new base file to FVD in order to get a new custom tune. The MyGenius is "locked" the first time you use it, and must be "Unlocked" with LIVE support from Germany to do this.

I am pleased to report that FVD support is bar-none, the best in the industry. I have used many tuners and after market companies (see my previous NA 997.2 experience), and I don't make this conclusion lightly! The programmer helped me unlock the MyGenius, and then the next morning (today), my file was waiting for me in the in box. 9 minutes later ----HOLY CR*P I have a new car again.

You will also notice, that something has been done to the air box resonator as the exhaust sounds deeper and way throatier - extra benefit? To those who say tunes are a waste, they are WRONG, especially when you have a Turbo. What a difference!

Also, remember, to those of us who have vanilla plain Turbo (not S), it is all programming of the ECU that makes the difference between the two cars raw engine performance --- those clever, clever Germans! The FVD programming is BETTER than stock Turbo S software, and therefore a standard Turbo performs better out of the gate with FVD than Turbo S. I would venture, that from raw engine performance, there would be NO difference between Turbo S and Turbo both treated with FVD programming, since the underlying hardware is EXACTLY IDENTICAL. Gives pause to those who want to pay 30K extra for an S badge.

RE GIAC: I had GIAC on the the NA 997.2 and while "switching files" was easy, it wasn't full re-programming which is done by the MyGenius device; Secondly, the initial tune for GIAC REQUIRES you to drive to an authorized installer, at their convenience, sit around and wait for it, and then go home. Changing to "stock" mode does not fully guarantee, EVER, that you are stealthy and hiding your tuning - because PIWIS CAN and DOES read the last "entry stamp" recorded when accessing programming mode on the ECU. So the dealer CAN tell you have modified software regardless of the claim you can switch to "stock." Therefore, the REPROGRAMMING aspect is more important, because if the dealer wipes your GIAC file, you are heading BACK to the GIAC dealer to do it again (and being charged overhead perhaps to do it); personal experience with the x51 conversion and the new base file uploaded by dealer wiped my GIAC - and local San Diego GIAC dealer wanted 1500.00 to do it all over again (since the first dealer went out of business) - never did it, and bought a turbo instead (that's a tune you can feel! ). These are some other benefits of dealing with the programmer and tuner DIRECTLY and not some middle man network of tuning house that come and go.

Last edited by DÜnkleblau S; 04-16-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-16-2014, 03:05 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wirx
I am not programmer, but I also own MyGenius and it is really easy to switch between different tune files or stock file. I think, if programmer has made everything correct, there is no way that Porsche mechanic can tell do you have stock or modified soft. Only way is, if they going to a ride and see more boost via logging or better acceleration. But if your car is sitting in service and they connect Porsche computer, it can't tell is it stock or modified.

I just talked with my service advisor today when I dropped off my car for an oil change and to have the diverter valves replaced because it was making noises during gear changes. I asked her about a tune and how that would affect the car CPO warranty, specifically FVD tune. She said that almost all warranty issue they are required to email all the info from the cars computers to Porsche Germany. The Porsche engineers can tell if it was tuned and if so they will refuse to pay for the warranty repair if they believe that the tune caused the breakage. She said Porsche is very aware that people are tuning their cars and then changing it back if there is a problem. I don't blame them for being so suspicious and not wanting to paying for repairs for a tuned car. And don't say your dealer is cool with it, they are not paying for the 30k engine or 15k trans repair, Porsche Germany is and they don't want to be ripped off. Hiding the fact that you tuned your car hurts the rest of us that are not that dishonest.

Now if you have an aftermarket warranty from another company that is paying the bills they might never even check and if the do they will not have the knowledge that Porsche has with their cars and the computers that they programed and installed in their cars.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
Ofcoors another programmer can tell is ECU soft are modified or not, but sure Porsche doesn't send after usual service, you ECU soft to Germany verification.
Btw my 997.1tt warranty is long-long time over

Old 04-16-2014, 04:19 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wirx
Ofcoors another programmer can tell is ECU soft are modified or not, but sure Porsche doesn't send after usual service, you ECU soft to Germany verification.
Btw my 997.1tt warranty is long-long time over

Not for service but warranty work engine and trans related. But you can be sure when they hook up to your OBD they save all they can.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 04-16-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
A few months ago I had a PDK error thrown by a defective temp sensor in the transmission and it went to safe mode; The dealership picked up the car and fixed the problem; but I also noticed when I got the car back that it upshifted like crazy, even in sport mode; the car felt sluggish and boring -- I plugged MyGenius in and tried to upload the flash again, and the device reported "Not compatible with this ECU." This was a sign that the dealership uploaded a new base file to the car. You should always check for this when you get the car back, since you have to actually re-read the car and send the new base file to FVD in order to get a new custom tune. The MyGenius is "locked" the first time you use it, and must be "Unlocked" with LIVE support from Germany to do this.

I am pleased to report that FVD support is bar-none, the best in the industry. I have used many tuners and after market companies (see my previous NA 997.2 experience), and I don't make this conclusion lightly! The programmer helped me unlock the MyGenius, and then the next morning (today), my file was waiting for me in the in box. 9 minutes later ----HOLY CR*P I have a new car again.

You will also notice, that something has been done to the air box resonator as the exhaust sounds deeper and way throatier - extra benefit? To those who say tunes are a waste, they are WRONG, especially when you have a Turbo. What a difference!

Also, remember, to those of us who have vanilla plain Turbo (not S), it is all programming of the ECU that makes the difference between the two cars raw engine performance --- those clever, clever Germans! The FVD programming is BETTER than stock Turbo S software, and therefore a standard Turbo performs better out of the gate with FVD than Turbo S. I would venture, that from raw engine performance, there would be NO difference between Turbo S and Turbo both treated with FVD programming, since the underlying hardware is EXACTLY IDENTICAL. Gives pause to those who want to pay 30K extra for an S badge.

RE GIAC: I had GIAC on the the NA 997.2 and while "switching files" was easy, it wasn't full re-programming which is done by the MyGenius device; Secondly, the initial tune for GIAC REQUIRES you to drive to an authorized installer, at their convenience, sit around and wait for it, and then go home. Changing to "stock" mode does not fully guarantee, EVER, that you are stealthy and hiding your tuning - because PIWIS CAN and DOES read the last "entry stamp" recorded when accessing programming mode on the ECU. So the dealer CAN tell you have modified software regardless of the claim you can switch to "stock." Therefore, the REPROGRAMMING aspect is more important, because if the dealer wipes your GIAC file, you are heading BACK to the GIAC dealer to do it again (and being charged overhead perhaps to do it); personal experience with the x51 conversion and the new base file uploaded by dealer wiped my GIAC - and local San Diego GIAC dealer wanted 1500.00 to do it all over again (since the first dealer went out of business) - never did it, and bought a turbo instead (that's a tune you can feel! ). These are some other benefits of dealing with the programmer and tuner DIRECTLY and not some middle man network of tuning house that come and go.
1. it was my understanding that the MyGenius was VIN specific (i.e., locked to a specific VIN#). If the dealer uploaded a new base file, I would have expected the MyGenius to still recognize the car as the VIN would be the same and you would simply need to re-write your original tuned file onto the car. Good to know it doesn't work that way. Maybe Rhonda can opine, I didn't think you needed "unlocking" from Germany but apparently you did!

2. Will be on the lookout for the throatier sound

3. I don't think many people (myself included) would ever refer to a 997 turbo as "plain vanilla"..LOL that car is a BEAST!

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
I just talked with my service advisor today when I dropped off my car for an oil change and to have the diverter valves replaced because it was making noises during gear changes. I asked her about a tune and how that would affect the car CPO warranty, specifically FVD tune. She said that almost all warranty issue they are required to email all the info from the cars computers to Porsche Germany. The Porsche engineers can tell if it was tuned and if so they will refuse to pay for the warranty repair if they believe that the tune caused the breakage. She said Porsche is very aware that people are tuning their cars and then changing it back if there is a problem. I don't blame them for being so suspicious and not wanting to paying for repairs for a tuned car. And don't say your dealer is cool with it, they are not paying for the 30k engine or 15k trans repair, Porsche Germany is and they don't want to be ripped off. Hiding the fact that you tuned your car hurts the rest of us that are not that dishonest.

Now if you have an aftermarket warranty from another company that is paying the bills they might never even check and if the do they will not have the knowledge that Porsche has with their cars and the computers that they programed and installed in their cars.
Sundevil, I've heard this as well that Porsche would decline warranty if a car is tuned, that said, the reason why I seek the ability to flash back to stock is to prevent the tune from being 'scapegoated" as the cause for ANY issue related to a warranty claim. There was a fellow poster who told a story about how his stock untuned 997.1 tip cab needed a brand new transmission ($15K+) it was fully covered under warranty but he was told that if he had a tune it wouldn't have been. This is clearly a case where the tranny failure was unrelated to a tune (car was stock) but had the car been tuned, the tune would have been "scapegoated" and voided the warranty. We also want to keep Porsche honest...LOL

I'm not sure how an individual flashing back to stock "hiding his/her tune" hurts you! If your car is not tuned and you have a warranty claim, when your ECU is analyzed, no tune would show up and your warranty would be honored. I fail to see how you would be hurt by someone else's actions ...am I missing something?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by akunob
1. it was my understanding that the MyGenius was VIN specific (i.e., locked to a specific VIN#). If the dealer uploaded a new base file, I would have expected the MyGenius to still recognize the car as the VIN would be the same and you would simply need to re-write your original tuned file onto the car. Good to know it doesn't work that way. Maybe Rhonda can opine, I didn't think you needed "unlocking" from Germany but apparently you did!

2. Will be on the lookout for the throatier sound

3. I don't think many people (myself included) would ever refer to a 997 turbo as "plain vanilla"..LOL that car is a BEAST!

Sundevil, I've heard this as well that Porsche would decline warranty if a car is tuned, that said, the reason why I seek the ability to flash back to stock is to prevent the tune from being 'scapegoated" as the cause for ANY issue related to a warranty claim. There was a fellow poster who told a story about how his stock untuned 997.1 tip cab needed a brand new transmission ($15K+) it was fully covered under warranty but he was told that if he had a tune it wouldn't have been. This is clearly a case where the tranny failure was unrelated to a tune (car was stock) but had the car been tuned, the tune would have been "scapegoated" and voided the warranty. We also want to keep Porsche honest...LOL

I'm not sure how an individual flashing back to stock "hiding his/her tune" hurts you! If your car is not tuned and you have a warranty claim, when your ECU is analyzed, no tune would show up and your warranty would be honored. I fail to see how you would be hurt by someone else's actions ...am I missing something?

I don't know what you are tailing about, if the car was un-tuned you would have no problem with any warranty claim. If you think a tune that adds HP does not affect the trans you are kidding yourself. Come on you tune the car back you know full well that you are trying to hide the fact you tuned the car and voided the warranty. Now Porsche takes the stance that everybody is trying to screw them and have to spend the time, effort and money to prove you are not is the non-tuned car is screwing the rest of us that have actual claims.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S

Just so you're clear, all programming devices have a flash ID. Porsche can pull the flasher IDs as well to see who and what last flashed the vehicle. If the flash dates don't coincide with any sort of software update, or the OEM software isn't the exact one for your model package, they can also deduce that software is not stock as well. The bottom line, if they're looking and you modified your software, they will know. When coming in for service, they're not usually looking. GIAC is not out to defraud Porsche nor any of the makers that we support aftermarket software for. Customers will all have to come to terms with the fact that there is some implied risk when you choose to modify your car beyond OEM parameters. That is major perk of having a company like Champion Motorsport that supplements the factory warranty with an aftermarket one while utilizing our performance software through many OEM dealers throughout the U.S.

ALL GIAC flashes are tied to the VIN number of the vehicle. Once the software is flashed into that particular vehicle, it is paired to that car for life. Meaning, that particular software flash can be re-installed free of charge indefinitely. This can be done at ANY GIAC dealer worldwide as we store ALL flashed VINs in our database here at GIAC and all dealers can call us to verify flash history for re-flashing.

In terms of why we prefer customers going to dealers, our dealers are trained to flash and recover flashes. They have the necessary equipment to ensure GIAC flashes can be performed successfully. While some might have the tools at their house, not all will. Our flashes on the 997.2 Turbo take about 20 minutes due to the amount of data being flashed into the ECU. When we flash the vehicle, the auxiliary fans turn on drawing a large amperage. If these flashes crash due to low voltage from a low powered battery charger, it can be time consuming to recover them (though we have all of the necessary tools to do so with perfect success). Having untrained customers doing this at home, would be less than optimal. I suppose it's possible if you're doing a small map flash that takes 1-2 minutes to install, but then you won't be making the power that we do, nor will you have race mode switching on the fly. Having choices like this is what makes these markets great. Some prioritize at-home convenience, others all out power gains and completeness. There are options for both.

Again, my apologies for the thread jack. GIAC software was mentioned with some false information and I wanted to clarify.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
I don't know what you are tailing about, if the car was un-tuned you would have no problem with any warranty claim. If you think a tune that adds HP does not affect the trans you are kidding yourself. Come on you tune the car back you know full well that you are trying to hide the fact you tuned the car and voided the warranty. Now Porsche takes the stance that everybody is trying to screw them and have to spend the time, effort and money to prove you are not is the non-tuned car is screwing the rest of us that have actual claims.
I think we can both agree that an ECU tune that adds HP & TQ will create increased wear & stress on the drivetrain (I believe its the increased TQ, not HP, that impacts the transmission most). What I posit is that experienced tuners such as FVD, GIAC etc. account for this when modifying the ECU (i.e., when adjusting fuel and ignition maps, variable valve timing, Air/fuel ratios, rev limits, speed limiters etc.) to minimize stress on the drivetrain. The "proof" if you will, is that these shops have sold thousands of tunes and you don't hear a clamor of "blown" engines & transmissions by their customers.

I believe that Porsche (and most manufacturers) tunes our cars conservatively from the factory in an effort to strike a fine balance between performance, emissions, fuel mileage, and reliability. Experienced tuners simply unleash more of the performance end of things while maintaining the OEM emissions and reliability aspects. Fuel mileage, well that's a different story... (although FVD claims to improve that too).

I like the option to reverse back to stock to eliminate the tune being "scapegoated" for unrelated damages. BTW, I don't think Porsche took a stance that "everybody is trying to screw them", they run diagnostics on cars with MAJOR warranty claims in an effort to diagnose the problem and possibly spot potential recall items from a part(s) that may be chronically defective and a potential major liability (think 991 GT3)...not simply to deny warranty claims! if however they detect a tune along the way, your warranty is void...and we all know that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FVD Software tune (MyGenius Tool), Techart Exhaust tips…