997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Which Wheel To Chose
20" Strasse Wheels - SM8 (Step Lip Look)
38.46%
20" Avant Garde - M590 (Concave Look)
30.77%
Keep OEM Wheels (OEM Look)
30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Which Wheel To Chose :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 AM
M_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really nice
Question Poll: Which Wheel To Chose :)

Hey all,

I've been going around and around in circles trying to find out nice wheels for my Turbo. I'm somewhat trying to make my car unique

Let me explain my options:

(1) 20" Strasse Wheels SM8 - Step lip look. These are pricey and pushing my budget a lot as I have to consider buying tires and lowering springs.

(2) 20" Avant Garde Wheels M590 - Concave look. These are almost half the price of option #1 but obviously because they are not forged etc.

(3) Keep stock wheels. I'm surprised several friends have said my original wheels look better and will save me the unnecessary cash spending on wheels.

Here are the wheels pictures in order.

Please vote for best option.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	361069

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	361070

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	361071

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	361072

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	361073

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM
M_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really nice
Here is a side view picture of my car...

Name:	IMG-20140224-01680.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	941.0 KB
ID:	361074

Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Both aftermarket wheels are nice, But I would keep the OEM wheels personally. I bet the OEM wheels are lighter than those aftermarket options.
I haven't seen many aftermarket wheels that look better on turbos than OEMs.
My personal favorites are HRE p40, split 5 star look HRE p47 or p44, or the Champion magnesium.
I run OZ superforgiata but think the OEM look way better. The OZs free up a lot of unsprung weight though which is more valuable to me.
Just my 2 cents

Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
i'd go for the AGm590. Its a better looking wheel imo. Also look at the HRE Flow forms FF01, they looks similar to the AG's. Best of luck.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 AM
If HREs then we are talking higher bucks might as well stick to the strasse wheels as they are so aggressive looking in my opinion. My problem with sets like the HRE P40 is that they are simple and not aggressive thus not worth the price tag for me
I know that they are better quality, light, etc. but i'd rather not spend so much if the look will be so simple.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M_coupe1999
If HREs then we are talking higher bucks might as well stick to the strasse wheels as they are so aggressive looking in my opinion. My problem with sets like the HRE P40 is that they are simple and not aggressive thus not worth the price tag for me
I know that they are better quality, light, etc. but i'd rather not spend so much if the look will be so simple.
Gotcha, the Strasse do look nice and aggressive. Out of the two, those are my vote if you don't want the stock wheels. the AG wheels look just like HRE p40s IMO. I think the stock wheels would look better if the car was lowered a touch.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 AM
I wish i can lower! The front lip is already touching a bit in both my work and home indoor garages

Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Wheel preference is like color preference in that there will be people that like and dislike all of them. I dislike those stock turbo wheels. I like the look of the Avante Garde. I also like HRE P40s and then there was a thread on this forum with Vorsteiner equipment (aero kit and wheels) I like too (similar to the HREs and the Avante Garde I guess!). I think the lip/rim on the others is ghetto and will catch more brake dust too. To me, if you're not a track person it's all about aesthetics. I mean the car is 500HP, so a few pounds (yeah I know unsprung weight and all) on what 3,500 for the coupe? to me makes little difference unless you're racing it. If you want a light car, you don't buy a turbo, you buy the GT3. Also, obviously I like the Porsche RS Spyder wheels. If I could have anything and didn't mind throwing away a thousands, I would want the same wheels I have in 20s. I like cars lowered as well aesthetically, but no way I would do it. I scrape now in certain places, so it's just a huge headache to lower it. It would make me nuts hearing the car scraping every time I go into or out of a driveway.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 04-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Also maybe look at the OZ Ultraleggara on tire rack as well as the BBS CH-R?
There is a simulator on there where you can view on your car

Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
^ Yeah i know these wheels, but if i'm getting a simple look wheel, in other words no lip, then i will stick to the hre p40 look, or basically the avant garde m590 as they seem to look the best for my taste.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 AM
I dont race or track, and i've always put wheels on almost every single car i've owned.

I mean i do like the oem look a lot, but there are way too many turbos in the streets of Kuwait. After market wheels might make my car more unique hehee

And michaeldantep, wheels with lip are ghetto! Come on! Hehehe i've always loved the deep dish look! Oh no i hope this is not the ghetto side of me hahahaa

Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
I don't have a problem with the OEM wheels. I have found that the issue most people have with the stock wheels is the offset -- it's not aggressive enough. The fronts aren't bad but the rears aren't flush with the fender. Spacers can fix that and the cars I have seen with spacers and stock wheels look very good.

Some things to consider on this car when making a wheel decision (these aren't rules or priorities -- just some things I considered when I made my decision):

a.) Weight - as someone else mentioned, if you go significantly bigger or heavier, it will affect the performance and with our cars, performance is primarily why we bought them. You can get an ultralight package from most wheel vendors which cuts into the back plate or spokes to reduce the weight. But this comes at a large increase in price.

b.) Front wheels - Note that on our cars the stock front wheels are pretty flat in terms of cross section due to the brake calipers. There isn't much room. So you'll find that if you choose concave, it's not really concave in the front. If you choose deep lip, in order to get the deep lip the front wheel is actually CONVEX! You can see this in the pictures you posted. Again, the fronts will end up relatively flat so this is something to keep in mind.

c.) Rear wheels - no such problem in the rear as in the fronts. You can get pretty concave in the rear. Or you can get a pretty deep lip in the rear.

d.) Step lip and deep concave - kind of gives you the best of both lip/concave? Allows you to have concave face (again, not so much in the front though) but also gives you a visible lip. But these also come at an increased price. And for the deep concave, it's MUCH heavier because of the "legs" which create the deep concave look.

e.) Step lip consideration - one thing to beware of when you get a stepped lip design. These are inherently stronger (and can be made lighter) because of their design and hence are used a lot in competition. But if you're a guy who likes BIG wheels (+1 or +2 sizes, etc) then one thing to remember is that the stepped design puts the register (where the wheel rivets/bolts go) further in then a non-stepped lip design and so the end result is the the outer circumference of the wheel "looks" thicker and the wheel "looks" smaller than it really is (optical illusion).

f.) Dark colored (primarily gloss/matte black) wheels - these will blend with the tires and cause the wheel to sometimes looks smaller because our eyes can't pick out the border between the tire and the wheel and tends to stray to the caliper/open area being the border making the wheel look smaller. And they are a pain in the *** to keep clean because the brake dust really shows up on black wheels.

g.) Chrome vs polished lip - if you go in that direction, just some notes. The chrome lip in my opinion is MUCH easier to maintain/clean and doesn't scratch as easily. The issue however is if you curb the wheel, you're pretty done with the lip and most likely need to get a new lip. And if not done properly, chrome tends to crack over time. For the polished lip, much harder to maintain, the clear coat scratches easy, you get swirl marks easily, etc. The benefit is curb rash is fixable usually and it's not as bright as the chrome (maybe that's a negative to some).

Hope this helps. Tough choice and difficult choice. But a fun choice nonetheless. I went aftermarket with +1 sized 20" RSV Forged 20x9 front, 20x12 rear. Concave with stepped lip. Gloss black lip and satin textured black face. Problem is wheels are like shoes or watches. Wish I had a bunch of them for different occasions Goodluck!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M_coupe1999
If HREs then we are talking higher bucks
the HRE flow forms retails at about USD 3300 per set/-. They are not priced like the P40's. Or get the Vorsteiner's V-ff 101. The dealer in Dubai will give you a sweet deal.

Last edited by maverickdxb; 04-17-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Zero911,

Wonderful points you mentioned!

I already have 7 and 15 mm spacers on my oem wheels for a flush look.

Regarding the front wheels, yeah i kind of noticed that for the concave wheels, front tend to be flat and rears are deep concave. For the steplip i want to make sure that the front spokes are not so convex! I like flats or concave! I know concaves with a lip are the most pricey!

Also the strasse wheels do come with lighter weight package

The speed is enough for me, so 20" will not harm how fast i like the car to be

I can always tune the car and add and exhaust, thats actually my next step, later though!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
To each their own (like car color), but I don't like shiny wheels either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poll: Which Wheel To Chose :)