997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

proTUNING Freaks - Intro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Spent some more time custom tuning the 997.1t and the car has picked up some more power and keeps getting faster on our pump gas.

Here's a run with half tank gas and a closed road that isn't anywhere as slope-friendly as the initial runs. It actually starts a out going uphill a bit Only 6ft slope difference for the duration of the entire run.

100-200kph time: 6.452 secs, Slope: 0.400%
60-130mph time: 7.471 secs, Slope: 0.541%

Shift into 4th is robbing the car from an even faster time as you can see by the dropout in acceleration (green graph) and flatline in speed (red graph). We'll see what it does with some better slope and a faster shift on the same tune.

Outside the car getting noticeably faster with our custom tuning the neat part is that the engine is happy and run to run consistency is there. Datalogs are clean showing minimal to no timing corrections for the duration of the run.

100-200kph run:

60-130mph run:

Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Great times! Keep up the good work guys can't wait to see how fast we can get these cars going!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Great times! Keep up the good work guys can't wait to see how fast we can get these cars going!

-Mitch
Thanks Mitch!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor
Here's a 7.2:

3-4 shift was actually a tad too late in the RPMs I feel as the above run was on a -2.6% slope. Here's another run right after with a -0.679% slope doing almost the same which leads me to believe a 7.1 is possible with a more appropriate shift point, maybe even a 7 flat.

I'd love to see what our current pump gas custom tune would do on a Tiptronic 997.1 equipped like our shop car with just a decat exhaust, 997.2 ICs and plenum. I'm wagering a high 6s 60-130 on pump octane...

What is the current fastest 60-130 time for a 997.1 OEM VTG pump gas setup?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:11 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
what rpm did you shift at for the 7.2 run?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:47 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
It's summer now so those are very impressive times. Do you recall the approx. temperature? And what octane were you on? thx.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jjurroz
what rpm did you shift at for the 7.2 run?
6.5-6.6k rpm as far as I remember.

Originally Posted by longboarder
It's summer now so those are very impressive times. Do you recall the approx. temperature? And what octane were you on? thx.
Thanks @longboarder. Ambient temp was in the 22-24C range for all these runs on 93 octane.

Fun fact, checked with @MBailey and it would seem the 7.2 run is a new record for the fastest reported pump gas 60-130 run for a 997.1 on OEM VTG turbos

I think there's a little bit left in there for this current custom tune with this octane with a better shift so I'll see if I can give it a shot again and drop the time a tad more.

Having spent the last 7 years pushing the FI BMW platform forward (N54, N55 engines) it is certainly interesting to see how well the 997.1t platform compares with our own tuning with really just minimal modifications, pump gas, AWD, no weight reduction and well outside ideal weather conditions.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Welcome aboard guys! We've worked with PTF in the past and have nothing but positive things to say. Great group of guys who are very passionate about what they do

Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
6.5-6.6k rpm as far as I remember.

Thanks @longboarder. Ambient temp was in the 22-24C range for all these runs on 93 octane.

Fun fact, checked with @MBailey and it would seem the 7.2 run is a new record for the fastest reported pump gas 60-130 run for a 997.1 on OEM VTG turbos

I think there's a little bit left in there for this current custom tune with this octane with a better shift so I'll see if I can give it a shot again and drop the time a tad more.

Having spent the last 7 years pushing the FI BMW platform forward (N54, N55 engines) it is certainly interesting to see how well the 997.1t platform compares with our own tuning with really just minimal modifications, pump gas, AWD, no weight reduction and well outside ideal weather conditions.
Hello,
great job indeed and I am eagerly waiting for some results from 997.2 pdk platform as I am at the moment looking to get into one and am looking at all the options I will have for tuning!

However, one small correction is in order if I may:
This is most certainly not the fastest time of stock VTG's - it is impressive as it is mid summer however not the fastest!
1. 6.48 - Skandalis447 / 997TT AWD TIP (Back in march 2010)spec: APR tune, Remus exhaust, pump gas and absolutely nothig else

6.67 - Madsex323 / 997TT AWD / 2-shifts / manual (Back in Nov 2010)
spec: APR tune, Europipe exhaust, pump gas and absolutely nothing else
(stock rev limiter, started run in 3rd gear and had to change into 5th to reach 130mph)

No pun intended - just getting the facts straight

Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DSCOFF
Welcome aboard guys! We've worked with PTF in the past and have nothing but positive things to say. Great group of guys who are very passionate about what they do
Thank you sir. Glad to be here and be able to help.

Originally Posted by madsex343
Hello,
great job indeed and I am eagerly waiting for some results from 997.2 pdk platform as I am at the moment looking to get into one and am looking at all the options I will have for tuning!

However, one small correction is in order if I may:
This is most certainly not the fastest time of stock VTG's - it is impressive as it is mid summer however not the fastest!
1. 6.48 - Skandalis447 / 997TT AWD TIP (Back in march 2010)spec: APR tune, Remus exhaust, pump gas and absolutely nothig else

6.67 - Madsex323 / 997TT AWD / 2-shifts / manual (Back in Nov 2010)
spec: APR tune, Europipe exhaust, pump gas and absolutely nothing else
(stock rev limiter, started run in 3rd gear and had to change into 5th to reach 130mph)

No pun intended - just getting the facts straight
Hey thanks for sharing the numbers and I'm happy to get a confirmation on the numbers. @MBailey (moderator on this forum that maintains the 60-130 6speed times) told me that 7.2 was the fastest on pump OEM VTG to his knowledge. I know this car has quite a bit more left in it with a few more tries having fun out there tweaking for a more appropriate shift speed, better weather conditions, maxing out slope a bit better than -0.5% slope on this run and all that other good stuff that goes into record setting 60-130 runs. Having our pump gas custom tune done on a Tip car would be even more interesting to see as automatics maximize shift speed, minimize acceleration delay and suffer no boost drop outs through shifts like manuals do. Your car getting that time on pump gas with 2 shifts is really remarkable due to these manual tranny disadvantages compared to a tiptronic car. Do you have a graph of the verified run? I'd really love to see what our custom tune could/would do on your .1 car and your shifting/driving skills.

Are you planning on a PDK or a manual 997.2?

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 07-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
Thank you sir. Glad to be here and be able to help.

Hey thanks for sharing the numbers and I'm happy to get a confirmation on the numbers. @MBailey (moderator on this forum that maintains the 60-130 6speed times) told me that 7.2 was the fastest on pump OEM VTG to his knowledge. I know this car has quite a bit more left in it with a few more tries having fun out there tweaking for a more appropriate shift speed, better weather conditions, maxing out slope a bit better than -0.5% slope on this run and all that other good stuff that goes into record setting 60-130 runs. Having our pump gas custom tune done on a Tip car would be even more interesting to see as automatics maximize shift speed, minimize acceleration delay and suffer no boost drop outs through shifts like manuals do. Your car getting that time on pump gas with 2 shifts is really remarkable due to these manual tranny disadvantages compared to a tiptronic car. Do you have a graph of the verified run? I'd really love to see what our custom tune could/would do on your .1 car and your shifting/driving skills.

Are you planning on a PDK or a manual 997.2?
Here is the link with my runost nr#3606
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3063554

Here is the link with Dimitris run: post nr #2999
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2813050

I am planning to get a PDK car after 1 manual 996tt 2 manual 997tt and 3 tip 997tt just to see what all the fuss is about!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by madsex343
Here is the link with my runost nr#3606
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3063554

Here is the link with Dimitris run: post nr #2999
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2813050

I am planning to get a PDK car after 1 manual 996tt 2 manual 997tt and 3 tip 997tt just to see what all the fuss is about!
Thanks for the data. Am I reading your signature right that your tip 997.1 car ended up being slower than your 6mt 997.1 with the same APR tune and mods? Must've been fun playing with all those turbos good stuff!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor
@madsex343 I have to say you got me curious about the apr tune you ran so I did a little digging it seems you mentioned that @skandalis and yourself always run 94-95 octane (100 RON) and always used the race map/setting on the APR map switcher. APR requires higher than 93 (98RON) octane support to run that map. Here is your post from back when you ran it:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3139571&postcount=7

Still a great time so don't get me wrong but it makes a little more sense numbers wise now. On my car the stock clutch is already slipping after a few runs so need to take care of that detail before trying our own custom 100 RON octane map.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 AM
@madsex343 I have to say you got me curious about the apr tune you ran so I did a little digging it seems you mentioned that @skandalis and yourself always run 94-95 octane (100 RON) and always used the race map/setting on the APR map switcher. APR requires higher than 93 (98RON) octane support to run that map. Here is your post from back when you ran it:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...71&postcount=7

Still a great time so don't get me wrong but it makes a little more sense numbers wise now. On my car the stock clutch is already slipping after a few runs so need to take care of that detail before trying our own custom 100 RON octane map.
That is correct - our pump gas here is either 91 AKI (95 RON) or 94-95 AKI (100RON)! The race map of APR suggests we use 104RON but since we do not get that anywhere in Greece we used the premium pump gas! I think that using VP 109 RON would get even better results, but never actually tested it. By the way our cars were completely stock otherwise no IC's and with exhausts with cats on!

The APR tip car I had for a little while with the same mods was a fraction slower in that test yes, however if I recall correctly the run was made at hotter ambient temps... so can not really compare!
I can tell you however from experience racing from 20-30-50mph roll with Skand's tip car while in my manual APR (both cars same mods) I was about 7-8 car lengths ahead of him at 180mph!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Tarasser is on a distinguished road
Hi
today i got the box with Cobb from proTUNING Freaks

the best time on stock maps were
11.2 1/4
7,5 100-200kmh

Today i run stage 2 map
I have ipd plenum and decat exhaust on 997.2 turbo pdk
10.8 1/4
6,5 100-200kmh

We 'll see what will do a custom map =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: proTUNING Freaks - Intro