997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

VTG actuators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
VTG actuators

Does anyone know of a way to check function of the VTG actuators without PIWIS? I just had my car at a dealer for 2 full days after making an appointment and telling them 3 times to diagnose the actuators only for them to call me and tell me they scanned the car for trouble codes and nothing was wrong. Grrrrr. In fact the service advisor made a cute note on my paperwork (customer says check VTG actuators???? -yes that many question marks). Needless to say I lost all faith in dealers and would rather do it myself.
Car is going on a lift Friday for new plugs/coils/o2 sensors so I really wanted to just rule that out too. Any input on how to do that without PIWIS is greatly appreciated. I did a search and came up with nothing

Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
yes, find them next to the turbos, and if i remember correctly the drivers side you should be able to pull down, and have it go back up, and passenger side push up, and it should come back town.

If they do not do this, you have an issue.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
ok, thanks. I've felt one on the passenger side and it operates freely. Have to feel around for the driver's side.
I wasn't sure if there was a certain point in the axis they get stuck so I wanted to try to figure out if that was a possibility through diagnostic or something

Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Chris there's a test you can run in the PIWIS to recalibrate them. You can also see an "actual values" field in the PIWIS that monitors the VTG actuators.

The physical test under the car is by pushing on the actuator arms. That will help you make sure they're not seized or bound up, but the PIWIS gives real data.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Chris there's a test you can run in the PIWIS to recalibrate them. You can also see an "actual values" field in the PIWIS that monitors the VTG actuators.

The physical test under the car is by pushing on the actuator arms. That will help you make sure they're not seized or bound up, but the PIWIS gives real data.
Awesome, I just do the physical test then. I wasn't sure if PIWIS ran through a diagnostic that opened it certain %s to test function. Sometimes I guess the easiest answer is the best.
Thanks Tom

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Awesome, I just do the physical test then. I wasn't sure if PIWIS ran through a diagnostic that opened it certain %s to test function. Sometimes I guess the easiest answer is the best.
Thanks Tom
Hi There....

While you have the car up for the plug change etc...It is very easy to get to them. You may want to pop the actuator rods off of the ball connectors and lube up with high temp silicon lubrication. Very easy to do, and easy insurance while you have such easy access to them. I did it while I was changing my plugs/coils etc.. You have to pop them off anyway to get to a couple of the plugs. Might have some good photos on my plug change DIY on this forum.

Good luck!

DC