997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

I Found a Porsche I Want...Quick Acid Test Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmoney
Don't be afraid on miles on these cars, if its got perfect records and clean 40-50k even 60k should be no problem. Chances are all the kinks have been fixed with the higher mileage cars (clutch master cylinder / salve, updated shifter cables, battery etc). 6 speed 997 turbos are indeed holding very good % of their original price.
I agree to the "all clutch kinks, plus etc, etc, etc-kinks having been fixed on 60K mile turbos," but not so sure "the cars are holding very good on their % of original price"
I have one of those 60K-milers for sale now. It has all you say above, that is, 'fixes-done' to it and a lot more, and all records to show....know this because am original owner. PM me for a good price. Its a manual turbo extremely well cared for, never tracked, just used as occasional dd, has EP1 which the car needed badly (no other mods)....and just hate to see it hit the auction block. The car deserves better.
What bothers me is the low mileage on some of these 997.1s cited above....looks like they're just sitting in a garage rotting away or maybe too, just used on the race track weekends and to get'em there, they gotta be trucked to keep the mileage low,. Why buy these cars if you're not going to drive them??
This 997.1 has been a real jewel, but getting away from Porsche because finally fed up with crook-nearby Porsche dealer who with recent management has even chased away their ace mechanic. And too, new 991 turbos are a turn off with their ridiculously high price and to really aggravate dedicated sports-car oriented porsche drivers to the extreme, they even have the audacity, i.e., huge ***** as they would say today, to not offer a manual shift box in these very sporty cars, shame on them,
Tried Porsche for 7-8 years, but find it tougher and tougher to find a dealership not caught up in massive profits without worrying too much about customer satisfaction.....going back to my roots with the new M4 which sadly is missing AWD but at least can still get a manual box. Whoopee!

Last edited by johnww; 07-28-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johnww
I agree to the "all clutch kinks, plus etc, etc, etc-kinks having been fixed on 60K mile turbos," but not so sure "the cars are holding very good on their % of original price"
I have one of those 60K-milers for sale now. It has all you say above, that is, 'fixes-done' to it and a lot more, and all records to show....know this because am original owner. PM me for a good price. Its a manual turbo extremely well cared for, never tracked, just used as occasional dd, has EP1 which the car needed badly (no other mods)....and just hate to see it hit the auction block. The car deserves better.
What bothers me is the low mileage on some of these 997.1s cited above....looks like they're just sitting in a garage rotting away or maybe too, just used on the race track weekends and to get'em there, they gotta be trucked to keep the mileage low,. Why buy these cars if you're not going to drive them??
This 997.1 has been a real jewel, but getting away from Porsche because finally fed up with crook-nearby Porsche dealer who with recent management has even chased away their ace mechanic. And too, new 991 turbos are a turn off with their ridiculously high price and to really aggravate dedicated sports-car oriented porsche drivers to the extreme, they even have the audacity, i.e., huge ***** as they would say today, to not offer a manual shift box in these very sporty cars, shame on them,
Tried Porsche for 7-8 years, but find it tougher and tougher to find a dealership not caught up in massive profits without worrying too much about customer satisfaction.....going back to my roots with the new M4 which sadly is missing AWD but at least can still get a manual box. Whoopee!

These cars are just getting to quick to handle a manual transmission and I find the PDK marvelous.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:06 PM
V - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of light
Wow thanks for all the replies.

The dealer wants 77k firm....which amounts to an out the door price of 83,500 or so.

As to the tires - agreed, they are shot, but it comforts me that this car wasn't ragged on, tracked etc....and was in fact the garage queen a few have mentioned.

I do plan to drive the car...but not a ton....maybe 8k a year MAX. I am getting a low mile example - bc its clean, has "mileage still left in her"....and when I goto sell her in 2-3 years with 30-35k miles...she will still be a baby, and I'll probably not get too beat up on my cost of ownership.

I do plan to modify the car, with some tasteful stuff.

Thoughts?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
These cars are just getting to quick to handle a manual transmission and I find the PDK marvelous.
That is true for street and track racers, but to enjoy street driving, a manual keeps one involved and besides the chances on the street of a race with a car that can beat one of these turbos even with its manual transmission is slim to none.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by V - 996tt
Wow thanks for all the replies.

The dealer wants 77k firm....which amounts to an out the door price of 83,500 or so.

As to the tires - agreed, they are shot, but it comforts me that this car wasn't ragged on, tracked etc....and was in fact the garage queen a few have mentioned.

I do plan to drive the car...but not a ton....maybe 8k a year MAX. I am getting a low mile example - bc its clean, has "mileage still left in her"....and when I goto sell her in 2-3 years with 30-35k miles...she will still be a baby, and I'll probably not get too beat up on my cost of ownership.

I do plan to modify the car, with some tasteful stuff.

Thoughts?
You're dreaming now.... you say in "2-3 years with 30-35K miles...she will still be a baby"........but that will make no difference when selling, you will still get "beat up on the cost of ownership." Join & welcome to the reality/disenchantment club. I really don't think it's solely mileage busting parts in these high-temp, rear-engine turbos; time too, is a major factor as well, but that's something you'll find out for yourself because parts galore bust in these machines in short time regardless of mileage. But to make matters worse, because of location of simple coolant hoses, coolant reservoir, etc, a $2K engine pull is required when these bust with no help from extended warranty-rubber/plastic not covered.
Some of the higher mileage turbos out there have many of these Achilles' heels already fixed. Maybe they need consideration also.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
You're dreaming now.... you say in "2-3 years with 30-35K miles...she will still be a baby"........but that will make no difference when selling, you will still get "beat up on the cost of ownership." Join & welcome to the reality/disenchantment club. I really don't think it's solely mileage busting parts in these high-temp, rear-engine turbos; time too, is a major factor as well, but that's something you'll find out for yourself because parts galore bust in these machines in short time regardless of mileage. But to make matters worse, because of location of simple coolant hoses, coolant reservoir, etc, a $2K engine pull is required when these bust with no help from extended warranty-rubber/plastic not covered.
Some of the higher mileage turbos out there have many of these Achilles' heels already fixed. Maybe they need consideration also.
please stop with the fear mongering. Your post makes it sound like all those issues are high probability events for a 30K-35K mile 997 TT. where's your data coming from? show me all the cars you know of with 30K miles that have required "engine pulls, busted coolant lines" and required "parts galore". These are not frequent occurrences, but you know this, which makes me question your motivation for such a post.

To the OP, while all those things are possible, they are very low probability for the kind of mileage and age car you are looking to buy. But nonetheless a CPO or aftermarket warranty is worth looking into and most can be had for ~$2K for 3 yrs 36K miles.

Good Luck with the purchase, get a PPI regardless of what the dealership says and enjoy the ride!

- Art

Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM
V - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of lightV - 996tt is a glorious beacon of light
That is true for street and track racers, but to enjoy street driving, a manual keeps one involved and besides the chances on the street of a race with a car that can beat one of these turbos even with its manual transmission is slim to none.

I will never own a "sports" car without a manual. Period. what fun is that?

Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM
100% PPI...If thats not clean as a whistle Im walking.

And to address johnw's comment about resale/etc....youre not understanding the position - an expensive 10 year old car with 35k miles (like my example) will be of more interest to the community/buyers/etc than an expensive 10 year old car with 85k miles (should I choose to purchase one with 50k-60k miles, as some suggested).

everyone is going to have a difference of opinion...but lets stay real.

J

Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
100% PPI...If thats not clean as a whistle Im walking.

And to address johnw's comment about resale/etc....youre not understanding the position - an expensive 10 year old car with 35k miles (like my example) will be of more interest to the community/buyers/etc than an expensive 10 year old car with 85k miles (should I choose to purchase one with 50k-60k miles, as some suggested).

everyone is going to have a difference of opinion...but lets stay real.

J
"Thoughts?"
Wow! This is a tough crowd. I'd best keep my thoughts to myself, but if this is the car that you have been looking for, and it has a clean PPI; I doubt that you can go wrong. If the dealer is a Porsche dealer, and he can give you a CPO, It would be icing on the cake. Good luck and enjoy it

Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 PM
kwik I certainly appreciate your comments man!

maybe you mistook my statement - I was just saying not everyone is going to agree with another's thought, but lets try and stick to reasonable thoughts (not go off on tangents).

j

Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
kwik I certainly appreciate your comments man!

maybe you mistook my statement - I was just saying not everyone is going to agree with another's thought, but lets try and stick to reasonable thoughts (not go off on tangents).

j
I wasn't really referring to your comments V, and I think you probably feel as I do. We are passionate about our cars, but unfortunately many of us sometimes let that passion overflow into our posts when other's opinions differ from ours, and objectivity seems to get lost in the process - thus my tough crowd comment. I believe that your comments were perfectly in order, and I do hope that the car works out for you. As I said, it sounds like a nice car.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Spend $10K more for a 2009 with more miles and the upgraded PCM.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Don't buy this car and worry about what it's worth 3-4 years from now...enjoy every mile behind the wheel.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Buy this 2009 TT with less than 30K miles for less money.

http://luxuryautoleasing.ebizautos.c...-11509997.html

No affiliation to seller or condition of car.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997xpress
Buy this 2009 TT with less than 30K miles for less money.

http://luxuryautoleasing.ebizautos.c...-11509997.html

No affiliation to seller or condition of car.
Priced nicely. But looking at those pics and I would definitely want to inspect that car very closely. The interior looks like it's been well worn, especially the seat and the bolsters.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Found a Porsche I Want...Quick Acid Test Help