997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Started changing my exhaust...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Started changing my exhaust...

And in minute ran into a snag..
I plan on installing a Kline soon and wondered if I could do it myself. So I loaded up one bolt attaching the cat to the turbo that was easily accessible with liquid wrench. Then took my 13 mm box wench to the nut. Stripped almost immediately.
Now what? 1 down 7 to go.
Do I get a adjustable box wench, the kind that tightens it's grip? A 6 point socket? Or do I split the nut with a nut splitter?
How does one get the stud out? Visegrips? All the tutorials are great but they don't address issues like this.
Thanks for any help.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
split it and put in fresh hardware

Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Try to get a 6 point on it, that should work. If not, vise grips if you have space to work.
The studs should stay in, but invariably one or two will back out. Easy to reinstall with he double nut technique. Several good tutorials on YouTube no removing stripped nuts and bolts.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:37 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Another tip for you before you go after the rest of them. Soak them with PB Blaster and let it sit for at least overnight..then soak again and wait again. It is a pain, but will keep you from damaging anymore studs/nuts/bolts. When I did mine, I let them soak for a long time then took my time, and every single one came out with no issues. ( An I am NOT patient by the way )

Also, some of them are hard to get to, so if you can get your hands on U wrenches or S Wrenches it is very helpful to get the back bolts...

Good luck!
DC

Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !

I ran into the same issue changing my exhaust. I used WD-40 release agent and the largest locking Vise grips I had. It worked and like "therock88" said, Let it soak.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Ok, so step one is the soaking. Did that for the bolt but only once over night.
Step 2: try the 6 point. If that doesn't work,
Step 3, split the bolt. What if the bolt is in a location where you have limited access?
Should the studs be removed and replaced with new ones? How do you get them out?
Thanks

Old 08-01-2014, 07:16 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
even very fresh cars had issues with bolts, that's why I don't consider this a DIY and let the pros handle it personally!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:43 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I've done it many times and hired it out the last time, it's not complicated, nothing to write home about either. Just tedious and messy, i had nothing to prove. You're not missing anything other than some raw knuckles.
Judging from the op's comments, this might really become frustrating, no shame in calling it a day and hire a tech.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tomb18
Step 3, split the bolt. What if the bolt is in a location where you have limited access?
Should the studs be removed and replaced with new ones? How do you get them out?
Thanks
Step 1,2 and 3 Check! The last one is a slippery slope. I would say if the studs are good, leave those alone. You can get in to more issues with snapping them off and then having to drill out and tap....So if you have to replace one go ahead, but my opinon is leave all the good ones alone. They will work fine.

If you need to replace one....you screw a nut on it, then a second nut against the first so they lock each other...then back the bolt/stud out.

Good luck.

DC

Last edited by therock88; 08-01-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Soaking does a lot. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Redwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond repute
Easy fix put the key in the ignition take to local shop and hand them key and $$$ why bother with DIY on this too frustrating and not worth the little u save.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tomb18
Thanks
I had to split all my nuts, I only replaced studs that looked "bad" but buy 8 just in case.

I changed the exhaust a few times now and its a simple diy once those damned nuts are gone

Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. The main reason I want to do it myself is to keep the car in good shape. I have two scratches on the car both on the rear bumper, done by the porsche shop. I would take much greater care.
In any case instead of splitting my nuts I'm going to checkout a shop in the area and see what they are about. :-)

Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
If you can turn a wrench. I fully support DIY. Saving money is great. But there is also a greater satisfaction of understanding your car and maintaining it it on your own. Take it slow, read up on other successful DIY's. Have the right tools at hand and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, soak the **** out of it. :-)

Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jako
If you can turn a wrench. I fully support DIY. Saving money is great. But there is also a greater satisfaction of understanding your car and maintaining it it on your own. Take it slow, read up on other successful DIY's. Have the right tools at hand and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, soak the **** out of it. :-)
Agree with this gentleman. You should come and see your friend J.P. OMG my first post on a 997 forum!!!!