997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 TT - Tuners, Times, Mods :)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:11 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cscat
Just looked up the 2014 NHRA rules, and found this. Looks like roll bar 11-13.5 and a cage under 11's?

ROLL BAR
Roll bar mandatory in all cars (including T-tops) running 11.00 (*7.00) to 11.49 (*7.35), in convertibles running 11.00 (*7.00) to 13.49 (*8.25), and in all dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00 (*7.50) seconds and slower. Permitted in all cars. See General Regulations 4:10, 10:6.
ROLL CAGE
Roll cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph. In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted), running between 10.00 (*6.40) and 10.99 (*6.99), roll bar permitted in place of roll cage. In convertibles running 10.99 or quicker or exceeding 135 mph, roll cage mandatory. Cars running between 7.50 (*4.50) and 9.99 (*6.39) must have chassis recertified every three years by NHRA and have a serialized sticker affixed to cage before participation. Plating of chassis prohibited for all cars manufactured after Jan. 1, 2003. Rear- engine dragsters must conform to SFI Spec 2.7B; vehicles running 8.49 (*5.35) to 7.50 (*4.50) and/or exceeding 180 mph must meet appropriate SFI Spec for body used. Effective Jan. 1, 2007, all new Street Roadsters must conform to SFI Spec 10.4. Existing Street Roadsters must meet SFI Spec 10.4 at their next scheduled recertification effective Jan. 1, 2008. No existing cars will be recertified early to delay compliance. All others must conform to specs for body style used, as listed in General Regulations 4:11, 10:6.
I'll look into it also as I'm in dangerous territory anyway but I'm almost positive there must be fine print. I was just at the track Weds and was quoted rules from the NHRA about needing a cage <10.0 and >135.
Under 11.5 you need a full face helmet and fire jacket.
There is something about cars after 2008. I know the NHRA made some concessions for newer cars in super car territory stock such as the 997.2 tt and Nissan GTR, etc that run in the 10s stock

Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM
locus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond repute
subscribed!!!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Banned
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Keep on coming people, I know there more out there

Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
I'll look into it also as I'm in dangerous territory anyway but I'm almost positive there must be fine print. I was just at the track Weds and was quoted rules from the NHRA about needing a cage <10.0 and >135.
Under 11.5 you need a full face helmet and fire jacket.
There is something about cars after 2008. I know the NHRA made some concessions for newer cars in super car territory stock such as the 997.2 tt and Nissan GTR, etc that run in the 10s stock

My experience is that you are correct about the new provision/rider in the NHRA rules because cars that run 10's stock are ok, provided they are unmodified (from what I understand). So maybe the 10.4 pass was enough to get you removed since our cars are 10.8 factory.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 AM
1YARD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by akunob
Model: Turbo S
Trans: PDK
Mods: FVD tune, EP 100 cel exhaust, IPD plenum
Fuel: 93 octane (pump gas)
Track Time: 10.89 @ 127mph
60': 1.68
0-60: 2.7 (Vbox - no 1ft roll-out)
60-130: did not record
Tires: Michelin PS2 (33F/39R)
Date of runs: Aug 2014

I'm have that time on stock.
2012 Turbo S on upgraded ECU cobb st1.

10.8 - 10.9 sec 1/4

your exhaust + 100 cells + IPD + ST2 ECU is not work)))

Last edited by 1YARD; 08-31-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1YARD

10.8 - 10.9 sec 1/4

Akunob recorded that last month in August and I'm going to guess that it was very warm with high density altitude, which will significantly hurt performance. I bet if he ran in the late fall with low density altitude he would be able to get in the mid-10's @ 132+

Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longboarder

Akunob recorded that last month in August and I'm going to guess that it was very warm with high density altitude, which will significantly hurt performance. I bet if he ran in the late fall with low density altitude he would be able to get in the mid-10's @ 132+
I agree and will add that it was his first time at the track with the car. I know his car and it runs very strong. His mods work.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
I agree... 1YARD, what was your trap speed?

Old 08-31-2014, 01:04 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1YARD

10.8 - 10.9 sec 1/4

Oh geez, 1YARD, welcome to the forum however I don't view these posted times as either (1) a pissing contest or (2) an indication of which tunes/or mods work better than others. There are so many variables in a 1/4 run that could affect the outcome. For reference, the evening of the run was 82 degrees F, 62% humidity, DA 1,900 (I believe that was what ecpchris noted) far from ideal conditions. That figure was on my very first (ever) run on a drag strip and. I barely got the timing of the start light sequence. I ran against an R8 (first time driver as well) who totally botched his launch and posted a 12+ sec time...I didn't hold that against him nor brag, we were all just having fun our first time out there.

Could my car run a faster 1/4 mile, possibly, but that's not the point. I didn't go out there to PROVE anything, I just went to have some fun (and get some numbers to share for webcarconnection, I had never done a timed 1/4 mile before). As others have mentioned, hitting optimal track times is a combination of great timing on the launch, sticky tires, correct tire pressures (i.e., much lower than my street setup), lower temp, optimal gas etc.

I'm sorry if my 1/4 mile time didn't meet your expectation, my few bolt-ons work just fine for me (improved throttle response, higher boost, practically no turbo lag, quicker spooling etc). I'm content and got to meet/hang with a fellow 6speeder! Thanks Longboarder and Stage 7, you guys get it!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Akunob's first time at the track hardly represents his car' s end all performance figures. Not only were the conditions horrible, but the track we went to can be daunting to even a seasoned vet. Once he gets used to it, he will net better numbers for sure. Also, at least he contributed some more data points, which is the point of the thread. Criticism is only going to make less people post, which doesn't help anyone.
At this same track, in negative DAs in the fall, I've seen a tts run 11 flat with same exhaust and a plenum (much lower mph).

Old 08-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Banned
Yeap, 100% agreed with both

Old 08-31-2014, 03:34 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Thanks Chris/webcarconnection.

To be fair to 1YARD, its possible that he is only making a simple observation, that "on paper" with a tune, 100 cel cat exhaust and plenum HE THINKS my 1/4 mile figure should be quicker than his stock TTS w/ Cobb stg 1 tune. If that was your point 1YARD then you simply forgot to factor in 3 things (1) conditions on the day, (2) the driver and (3) the ECU tunes!

The conditions for your timed run and the conditions for my timed run may have been drastically different, which as others have pointed could affect the recorded times and trap speeds. Second, driver...I bet if Chris drove my car (same day/same conditions) he might have squeezed out 1/10th or 2/10ths of a secs better performance...he is simply a more experienced and better drag-strip driver than I am! Although I'm certain he couldn't replicate his 10.4 secs run in my car...your car is simply a BEAST Chris, (Mitch & co at Cobb would be proud)! I am a "noob" at drag racing! LOL...its possible that you are also a better drag strip driver than me.

Finally 1YARD, you failed to account for the tunes. Your say your car has Cobb's stg 1 and I am running FVD's Lvl 1. Maybe Cobb's stg 1 adds more HP/TQ than FVD's lvl 1! FVD claims +70HP/+89TQ for their lvl 1...maybe Cobb's tune produces more... I don't know. All this shows is that you are probably doing yourself a disservice by DIRECTLY comparing your 1/4 mile figures to mine, given the numerous variables present. The best test will always be side-by-side races...which is why we enjoy Longboarder's videos so much

1YARD, you are a fellow p-car guy, and I suspect like us, you love talking and sharing experiences about the cars, tunes, mods etc...so welcome!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Banned
Yeap... Also one thing is ET's and a other is trap speed, that's why I ask him about it

Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Banned
OK, 4 pages and a LOT of views and no numbers from .2's with softronics, EVOMS (one wIth GIAC and one with FVD) C'mon people, this is not a contest

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Banned
New number soon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 TT - Tuners, Times, Mods :)