997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2tt vs.997.2tts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 AM
sshu930 is on a distinguished road
997.2tt vs.997.2tts

I'm going to start my search soon but want to get some opinions on if it's worth paying around 10k more for a S over the regular turbo. The added power can be had through tuning even though it would be nice to keep the CPO warranty. The pccb brakes do not really matter to me if I have it or not. Is there anything else I'm missing? I know we can't predict future car values but in terms of resale, will the S hold it's value better over time and retain at least a 10k price differential over a regular turbo 4-5 years from now?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Some views on TT vs. TTS covered here... see ryem3 last point and a few other opinions in the thread. Summary, 'value' is very subjective, but if you don't care about the added power, don't care about PCCB, didn't mention CL and the other standard electronic nannies (e.g., dynamic engine mounts, PTV etc.) then there is likely no reason for you to look beyond a TT.

IMHO focusing on resale value 4-5 yrs from now is not relevant as re-sale value is determined by MUCH more than "non-S" vs. "S" (e.g., mileage, operation & service history, vehicle condition, options etc). My $0.02, everything being equal, I don't think a 997.2 TTS will hold a $10K premium over a "non-S" 4-5yrs from now. Hope this helps.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ut-new-me.html

Last edited by akunob; 08-27-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I bought a 2010 Turbo Cab that had more options than the 2011 S that was sitting right next to it. I just did not think the 10-15k more at the time was worth the 25 HP boost.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
I bought a 2010 Turbo Cab that had more options than the 2011 S that was sitting right next to it. I just did not think the 10-15k more at the time was worth the 25 HP boost.
Especially since once you flash them they make the same power anyway.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rix
Especially since once you flash them they make the same power anyway.

Drove both and could not tell the 25 or so HP difference.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Same thing happen when I bought mine, I decide it for the non S because I know that I will modify it so will not justify the different in cost... Either way my non S have the options of dynamic engine mounts and PTV so it was no brainer

Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
I found a 997.2 with a 6 speed manual transmission and sport seats. I did not want the S because I did not want PDK. That was the determining factor.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
You can tell people, "I have a Turbo S!" That's worth at least $35-40 in conversation credit. Mine kind of fell into my lap. Would have been happy with either.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
I was not aware that 997.2's could be had in manual transmission! (very exciting) When did PDK (what MY) become the only option?

EDIT: nevermind, found the information on wikipedia

-Jose

Originally Posted by Turbo Ron
I found a 997.2 with a 6 speed manual transmission and sport seats. I did not want the S because I did not want PDK. That was the determining factor.

Last edited by jjurroz; 08-28-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
If you check my thread you'll get more info, but one of the big drivers was the center locks. Finding an S without them is very difficult. As others mentioned, I found a non S with ptv, sport seats, etc. The real key is just find a nice car with the right mileage in perfect condition! S or non-S, these cars are fast! You will not be disappointed.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
If you check my thread you'll get more info, but one of the big drivers was the center locks. Finding an S without them is very difficult. As others mentioned, I found a non S with ptv, sport seats, etc. The real key is just find a nice car with the right mileage in perfect condition! S or non-S, these cars are fast! You will not be disappointed.

There is a Guards Red 2011 S coupe without center locks at my local dealer with 6k miles if memory serves me right.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 08-28-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
For me, I went to buy a 2011 S AWD Cab (non Turbo), Loaded that baby up and my sales man said, you are very close to the price of a Turbo. I said really? Looked at the numbers and added a few goodies and drove the car. What's not to love. next he said, you know the 6MT is going the way of the dodo bird. I said, No way I am buying an automatic Porsche, I am an enthusiast. LOL.

Drove the TTS, PDK on an open road with some twisties, and I was sold. Felt like such a sucker, getting bid up so much but I really did get what I wanted 100%. Daily driver super car, with exceptional alpha predator performance and amazing reliability. I do not DD but I hope to log more seat time this year.

I also really still love the car today.

Resale value is of little interest to my, I plan on driving it for many years to come as it still puts a smile on my face. A new TTS is not even on my radar at this point. That is the only car that would get me out of this car as I feel right now.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JSF721
For me, I went to buy a 2011 S AWD Cab (non Turbo), Loaded that baby up and my sales man said, you are very close to the price of a Turbo. I said really? Looked at the numbers and added a few goodies and drove the car. What's not to love. next he said, you know the 6MT is going the way of the dodo bird. I said, No way I am buying an automatic Porsche, I am an enthusiast. LOL.

Drove the TTS, PDK on an open road with some twisties, and I was sold. Felt like such a sucker, getting bid up so much but I really did get what I wanted 100%. Daily driver super car, with exceptional alpha predator performance and amazing reliability. I do not DD but I hope to log more seat time this year.

I also really still love the car today.

Resale value is of little interest to my, I plan on driving it for many years to come as it still puts a smile on my face. A new TTS is not even on my radar at this point. That is the only car that would get me out of this car as I feel right now.
Couldn't agree more. Both of my other cars are 5-speed, and while I love driving manual, sometimes its a huge pain in the butt in NY. The Turbo S is my first automatic trans car my whole life. I also played around with the 991 TT idea, and its not any quicker so it didn't make sense. The 997 is the last of the small 911's.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:50 AM
wd40 has a spectacular aura aboutwd40 has a spectacular aura aboutwd40 has a spectacular aura about
Tt vs. Tts

Originally Posted by sshu930
I'm going to start my search soon but want to get some opinions on if it's worth paying around 10k more for a S over the regular turbo. The added power can be had through tuning even though it would be nice to keep the CPO warranty. The pccb brakes do not really matter to me if I have it or not. Is there anything else I'm missing? I know we can't predict future car values but in terms of resale, will the S hold it's value better over time and retain at least a 10k price differential over a regular turbo 4-5 years from now?

I called many dealers across the US prior to making my purchase and spoke with lots of experienced sales guys and managers. One of the first questions they would ask me is "are you going to track the car". I said no. All said they notice no difference in driving the two side by side, so I guess I would go with the best deal. One additonal issue is that registration for the S is quite a bit more so since the performance is most likely seen only at the track I chose the non S.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Turbo Ron
Ditto. I was glad to have the last Turbo with a manual that will likely ever be made since mine is a 2012.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2tt vs.997.2tts