997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Question for guys with 997.1 and champion vtg 68mm turbo kits.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:44 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Question for guys with 997.1 and champion vtg 68mm turbo kits.

I am leaning towards picking up a low mile 07-09 turbo tiptronic and doing the following mods.

Champion vtg 68mm turbos
Giac tune/tcu upgrade for tip
Intercoolers
Exhaust

My question is this safe with the mezger motor and tip tranny or am I pushing the limits? It's going to be mostly a street car with occasional trips to drag/roll/road racing events. (mostly drag and roll). I'm usually not even that hard on my cars but I want the build to be reliable and safe for peace of mind and not having warning lights and things like that popping up.

I know the tip can be built stronger if needed. I guess I was looking for a guesstimate on cost for that set up installed and tuned by a champion approved dealer. Also if I'm forgetting any mod needed for that set up. Probably one suspension upgrades as well although I don't want it too stiff or uncomfortable. It is a pleasure vehicle and a street car. I'm assuming this set up would be around 600 crank power? I will most likely talk to Tom from champion tomorrow to get his thoughts.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Cuban Cigar KSA is on a distinguished road
The metzger is a strong engine no doubt but the tranny (as been explained to me by couple 6speeders) it won't take it (600 wheel would be fine and 650 whp you will start to have the issues) , aside from that 650-700 on the crank is more than satisfying imo

Old 09-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Cuban Cigar KSA is on a distinguished road
And you will need some additional parts to insure safe and efficient operation of those 68's

Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
Is this stuff keeping you awake at night? Yes, talk to Tom asap. That initial mod list is approaching $20K (I have the 65mm turbos and the other stuff)
Also Champion has a couple .1 turbos for sale-seem pricey, but I bet the black one has several mods already.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Forujames
Is this stuff keeping you awake at night? Yes, talk to Tom asap. That initial mod list is approaching $20K (I have the 65mm turbos and the other stuff)
Also Champion has a couple .1 turbos for sale-seem pricey, but I bet the black one has several mods already.
Dude you have no idea lol and I'm driving my wife Insane.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:45 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Member kenromero has this exact setup. I think he is also running methanol injection and he had an auto trans build of some sort. His car is wicked fast!

Perhaps @kenromero or @emmanueldesign (who worked with Ken on this setup) can chime in to help you.