997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Turbo Guys- Check Your FPR Line!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
997.1 Turbo Guys- Check Your FPR Line!!!!

Hello,

I just wanted to put this up as I see more and more 997.1 Turbos with this issue. There is a fuel pressure regulator reference line that is on the passenger side of the car. It is a hard plastic line connected to a little section of vacuum tubing.

Out of all the .1 Turbos we tune I bet we see 50%-60% of them have these lines blown off. It is very easy for them to come off and most of the time people don't even know it. The 997.1 can run very lean with out a misfire most of the time so a lot of people don't really know.

We see it instantly in logs and just want to remind people to check the lines or check your logs! If you are logging with the Accessport check your short term fuel trims under boost. If it reads 1.25 on both banks that mean this is probably affecting you. I do believe the Durametric can log short term fuel trims as well.

I know this has been talked about before, but I want to bring it back up. BBI did a write up on this some time ago:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-problems.html

If anyone wants me to check logs even if you do not have an AP but would like to know, send them over happy to take a quick look. If you are in So Cal I would bet BBI would still be happy to check for you for free.

I have put a log of what generally happens:

You can see under boost the fuel trims shoot up to 1.25. This is a good indicator that the car has this issue.

If anyone has questions please feel free to let me know!

mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for this Mitch. Where can I find/look for this FPR? What symptoms would be present for us to know if we have an issue with this?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Cuban Cigar KSA is on a distinguished road
Thanks mitch for bringing that to us , gotta check mine too i got the symptoms irregularly but never checked them before

Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Rep points added! Thanks Mitch, I assume this is a .1 TT specific issue. Is there a comparable situation to be aware of in .2 TT/S cars?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
No the 997.2 guys dont need to worry about this. It is really more of a .1 Turbo issue.

Please shoot me logs if you guys need to! Happy to check them!

mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

Old 09-16-2014, 02:42 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Same concern as Jako...where can I find/look for this FPR? What symptoms would be present for us to know if we have an issue with this?
Thanks for any advice on this.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Really if you feel any hesitation in the car it may be worth checking. Much easier if you have a tool that you can datalog with. Maybe if you have a friend with a durametric they can log it for you, or if you are an Accessport user you can datalog with the AP and send the logs to me.

The best way to quickly check is to feel around with your hand. It is kind of hard to see. 997TTurbo you are in So Cal if you are worried about it may be worth popping by BBI or good Porsche mechanic and just having them check. Takes only a few seconds to feel around.

If you look around in this thread you can see a pic of the thing. It is kind of hard to see.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-problems.html

I will try and get some pics of it here soon.

-Mitch

Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Really if you feel any hesitation in the car it may be worth checking.

-Mitch
I felt hesitation in my car, so I bought the Cobb AP. Problem solved

Old 09-16-2014, 02:56 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Yep, my car had the problem as well. The issue is that the ECU is so dynamic and does such a good job with correction that you don't even realize the car is running as lean as it is under boost. There are no check engine lights or anything.

The other issue is that I couldn't see the line. Unlike the video above, mine was hidden down underneath the passenger side turbo inlet piping and not seen easily at all. Maybe the guy's aftermarket Y pipe and plumbing made it easier to see?

There is a little black rubber "boot" that comes off the FPR nipple and makes a 90 deg bend. A black plastic, hard line runs over to it to provide the manifold reference signal. This black plastic line is simply held in with friction. It easily comes out.

Here's mine flapping in the breeze once I reached back in there and found it:

Stole this pic from the other thread (Credit and thank you to ImolaMS). The plastic line slips out of the black boot. The black boot is clamped on by the factory and not usually the failure spot. See below:

Although you can feel relatively easily if the line is connected or not, I ended up pulling the airbox and Y pipe to get it fitted back on. I then threw a zip tie around it.

Sort of a PITA, but not a long job...maybe an hour and most of that was figuring out how to get another hand back in there. It is a tight fit.

Last edited by A418t81; 09-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:44 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys for all the info, will inspect mine after work. Haven't had any driving issues but want to make sure everything is in order...

Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for the additional pictures, do you know where the plastic line goes to from the FPR???

Originally Posted by A418t81

Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 PM
1sicknickel is just really nice1sicknickel is just really nice1sicknickel is just really nice1sicknickel is just really nice1sicknickel is just really nice
Thanks for the heads up Mitch. I've stopped by the shop a few times to talk to you over the past couple of weeks but I guess you just happen to be out of town both times.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
I travel a lot I apologize. Should be there the rest of this week though feel free to stop by!

-Mitch

Old 09-17-2014, 04:14 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
thanks folks,'07 997.1 TT found FPR w/o disassembling anything -can not see much but felt that the small plastic tube seems to be going in the larger hose- can't grasp anything to see how snug it is but it's not hanging out so guess i'm ok for now.
I've a durametric pro but have only used it to check, clear or code few items- it's on a very old dell laptop & i'm unclear on how to actually set up & start datalog with it- or what i should log, although i've read some instructions on line -haven't tried anything yet-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo Guys- Check Your FPR Line!!!!